[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - Mix-It-Yourself: Saltmix

Mix-It-Yourself: Saltmix

A forum for all those projects you want to build on your own

Mix-It-Yourself: Saltmix

Postby sid » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:39 pm

I have been doing experiments on this thing for quite a while now and I feel that it's worth sharing.

Purpose: To minimize cost in water change since "local saltmix" brands isn't applicable to reef tanks, and the imported ones are quite expensive on my part.

Table 1:
sodium chloride =====> 1396.82grams
potassium chloride ==> 38.04grams
calcium chloride ====> 77.22grams
magnesium sulfate ===> 357.15grams
magnesium chloride ==> 264.60grams
sodium bicarbonate ==> 10.22grams

Table 2:
sodium chloride =====> 1361.61grams
magnesium chloride ==> 285.55grams
sodium sulfate ======> 227.69grams
calcium chloride ====> 64.73grams
potassium chloride ==> 39.69grams
sodium bicarbonate ==> 9.77grams
potassium bromide ===> 5.68grams
boric acid ==========> 1.44grams
sodium fluoride =====> 0.16grams

The sodium chloride (both the technical and food grade) available at Alysons contain 0.5% of Potassium ferrocyanide for the food grade, and 0.7% for the technical grade. This chemical is used as anticaking agent and it's not harmful (small amount) to humans but it is for fishes if it's released in its "free form". Since I dont run UV or ozonizer in my main tank as well as my experiment tanks, I think I'm safe using it.

A few notes...
a) All ingredients can be bought at your favorite chemical shop/store such as Alysons.
b) I strongly suggest for you to buy the food/USP grade ingredients. But if can acquire the pharmaceutical grade, then that would be even better.
c) Some ingredients such as magnesium chloride only comes with technical grade but it's ok to use.
d) The weight listed don't require to be exact but make sure to be as close as possible. For example on Table 2, sodium chloride can be anywhere from 1350 to 1370 grams with no serious problem.
e) For a weighing scale, you can buy the stuff used for kitchen (max. 2.2kg).
f) Table 1 and 2 will give you approx. 1.026 to 1.027 SG on a 15gallon of freshwater. And the other water parameters are in the ideal range (such as pH= 8.2, Ca more than 400ppm, Mag more than 1200ppm, and so on)

Real Life Experience...
i had made a major 50% water change on my tank (40% imported saltmix-Tropic Marin and 60% a mix of Table 1 and 2) with no visible casualties - fishes, shrimps, crabs, alga, corals, etc. But I noticed that bubble production in my tank's mechanical skimmer was slightly reduced.

Credit also to Audioactive08 aka Marty. Here's a link of the other thread. http://www.reefphilippines.com/forums/v ... php?t=4248

Cheers!
sid
reefphilippines member

Postby audioactive08 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:09 pm

Funny, nobody noticed our DIYs even before. :lol:

I'm using a modified version of Frank Millero's salt recipe and the reagents are very much available.

To make your own here's a quick formula

On Millero's recipe in Randy Holmes - Farley's Article, multiply the weight of each reagent by 3.785 then multiply again by the total number of gallons needed.

or download here

http://rapidshare.com/files/169361595/S ... illero.pdf

The end results will be pretty much accurate.

I've used my own recipe, along with our DIY'd version for almost a year now and I have yet to encounter problems with it. :)

Some tips

-Use clean gloves and a mask while doing this.
-Mix the prepared formula slowly to avoid precipitation.

Cheers
-Marty

To err is human, but to do the same error all over again is stupid.
If don't have patience for the hobby, it's better to quit.

Almost All-DIY 50g BB Mixed Reef, DIY Rocks / Plugs, Modded sunsun, Modded RO. 150w MH + Lumenarc.

Some fishes, Some SPS, Zoanthids and some other odds and ends.
audioactive08
reefphilippines member

Postby ASAN3.1416 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:16 am

22 gal AGA nano w/ ATS and Cheato
150 par 38 MH 20k
ASAN3.1416
reefphilippines supporter

Postby audioactive08 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:36 am

-Marty

Almost All-DIY 50g BB Mixed Reef, DIY Rocks / Plugs, Modded sunsun, Modded RO. 150w MH + Lumenarc.

audioactive08
reefphilippines member

Postby obet_carlos » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:48 am

obet_carlos

Postby audioactive08 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:16 am

-Marty

audioactive08
reefphilippines member

Postby sid » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:23 am

sid
reefphilippines member

Postby obet_carlos » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:36 pm

obet_carlos

Postby sid » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:43 am

@obet_carlos: I think I missed your inquiry here bro, my apologies. Yup, I have used both table 1 & 2 in my reef tanks with no visible problems encountered.

@ako02ph: I have decided to post your inquiry here in the public forum instead of through PM for the benefit of others. ;)

Gusto ko lang po sana humingi ng idea for pricing. Magkano for initial buy.

Here's the pricelist that I got the last time I went to Alysons (middle of last year):
Sodium Chloride => 17 petot per kilo - food grade
Magnesium Chloride (Flakes) => 28.20 petot per kilo - technical grade only
Sodium Sulfate => 14 petot per kilo - technical grade only
Calcium Chloride => 160 petot per kilo - USP grade
Potassium Chloride => 257 petot per kilo - USP/Food grade
Sodium Bicarbonate (aka Baking Soda) => 23 petot per kilo - Food grade (Italy brand)
Potassium Bromide => 240 petot per kilo - Technical grade only
Boric Acid => 75 petot per kilo - Technical grade only
Sodium Flouride => 80 petot per kilo - Technical grade only
Strontium Chloride - not available and they dont sell this stuff.

Alysons' Chemical
1425 G. Araneta Avenue, near del Monte Avenue, QC
Tel: 712-2266

Saka ano po ba ito, puro power type.

Sorry bro, I dont understand your question. There are only two types of chemicals being sold at Alysons... technical grade and USP/food grade.

Then pano po ito gagawin, hahalu haluin lang po ba sa isang dry at malinis na palangana?

What I usually do is mix the ingredients in a "balde" with water. Then either use a pump or a PVC stick to stir it.

Cheers!
Divisiveness is the trait that guarantees the perpetuation of a collective weakness, and divisiveness is the bane of Filipinos. -Joma Montelibano
sid
reefphilippines member

Postby choypogi07 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:50 am

i think he meant "powder" type.. :?:
corals die faster than fish when even one of your parameters is off the charts..
choypogi07
reefphilippines member

Postby sid » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:23 pm

Oh, ok. Hindi ko napansin yon ah. :)

Most of the chemicals comes in powdered form except the magnesium chloride which is in flakes form.

Cheers!
Divisiveness is the trait that guarantees the perpetuation of a collective weakness, and divisiveness is the bane of Filipinos. -Joma Montelibano
sid
reefphilippines member

Postby ako02ph » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:20 pm

ako02ph
reefphilippines member

Postby sid » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:07 am

sid
reefphilippines member

Postby dahcmed » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:18 am

dahcmed
reefphilippines member

Postby D`Saint » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:33 pm

"An Ounce of Prevention Is Worth Pound of Cure"

65G (36L X 18W X 24H)
35G Sump
7x T5 Aquaria Tech Lighting
2x Sun Sun Wavemaker
Mod TS2000