[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - DIY skimmer (modified via aqua sk388)

DIY skimmer (modified via aqua sk388)

A forum for all those projects you want to build on your own

DIY skimmer (modified via aqua sk388)

Postby immortalbreaker » Fri May 03, 2013 10:26 am

Just want to share.

After some success with my DIY PVC recirculating skimmer w/ SQ2200 pump. I decided to mod my broken down via aqua skimmer sk388 body. I used my Hailea 6530 as a recirculating pump. (My old return pump, w/c was replace by a RIO 10HF)

Both DIY skimmer uses a paddle wheel impeller to chopped the bubbles. Venturi at the intake of the pump.

DIY 4" PVC recirculating skimmer:
After 24hours

DIY modified via aqua sk388 (recirculating)
Intake from overflow, Drilled on the flat/bottom portion instead of the curve portion of the body for better seal.
Last edited by immortalbreaker on Sun May 05, 2013 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Custom Tank (50gal water volume) - SOLD

Custom AIO - Current Tank
immortalbreaker
reefphilippines member

Re: DIY skimmer (modified via aqua sk388)

Postby actino » Fri May 03, 2013 5:35 pm

can post more details on your pvc skimmer? Thanks
actino
reefphilippines member

Postby immortalbreaker » Sat May 04, 2013 7:46 pm

Here you go.

Diagram
Collection cup
Main Body

immortalbreaker
reefphilippines member

Postby immortalbreaker » Sat May 04, 2013 8:41 pm

moded sk388 after 36hours.

Parang ice cream :D

immortalbreaker
reefphilippines member

Postby seth » Sun May 05, 2013 9:58 am

Good job! :D

What's the rating of the pump? I am not sure if it's because of the design of the chamber or the pump itself, but the bubble production seems lacking.

The bubbles should fill at least half of the chamber (as a good guestimate of efficiency), better if you are able to fill the whole chamber like this:

The pump used here was rated at 28w (not really 28, but that was the numbers on the label).

Still a great mod though, I'm sure you'll be able to find a way to maximize the skimming output. :D
Cheers,
Marty

seth
reefphilippines member

Postby VOYAGER » Sun May 05, 2013 10:47 am

your using the HAILEA 6530 on the modded VIA AQUA SK-338 skimmer...try to change the paddle wheel impeller of the hailea 6530 pump to the PINWHEEL impeller of RO PUMP OTP-2000...hailea 6530 is the same as the RO OTP 2000..hailea manufactured the otp pumps for RO...HTH :)

Jheck
JEBAO 6000 return pump
RO BP reactor BR-110 (Bio Pellets)
RO ATO
RO MF-300B reactor (GFO)
3 x Evergrow IT2060 Led Fixture
4 x JEBAO WP40 /RW15 sync by HYDOR SMARTWAVE
VOYAGER
reefphilippines member

Postby immortalbreaker » Sun May 05, 2013 12:16 pm

@seth
Maybe its because of the inner tube. Pump is rated 1750lph @ 50w. Do you know if I can use a Rio10HF instead? Can I put a needle wheel in a RIO HF pumps?

Got the idea for the mod from this thread:
I was supposed to cut it like this, but got to lazy and I'm afraid I might crack the acrylic. Wife's also gonna get mad coz I just recently bought the skimmer about 2months ago but the pump got broken only afer a month:

Here's what it supposed to look like when you cut the inner tube:

With a mesh mod. here's what they are getting:

@VOYAGER
Thanks! I might try it. Where can I buy the pinwheel impeller? Are they commonly available at cartimar or ace hardware? Got my hailea at ace.
Last edited by immortalbreaker on Mon May 06, 2013 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

immortalbreaker
reefphilippines member

Postby VOYAGER » Sun May 05, 2013 12:29 pm

ask one of the sponsor here peter (AQUARIATECH) as far as i know he has those pinwheel impeller for otp-2000 (hailea 6530)...try also EMRICH trading in Banawe Q.C. i saw some pinwheel impellers there for hailea pumps...

Jheck
JEBAO 6000 return pump
RO BP reactor BR-110 (Bio Pellets)
RO ATO
RO MF-300B reactor (GFO)
3 x Evergrow IT2060 Led Fixture
4 x JEBAO WP40 /RW15 sync by HYDOR SMARTWAVE
VOYAGER
reefphilippines member

Postby seth » Sun May 05, 2013 2:32 pm

Voyager is right, RO pumps are rebranded hailea pumps. They are well built too, IME.

Peter has some implellers in stock, I believe. He can ship it to your place as well.

Looks like the culprit is the inner tube.
Cheers,
Marty

seth
reefphilippines member

Return to Do It Your Self