[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - eliminating bubbles from the DT

eliminating bubbles from the DT

A forum for all those projects you want to build on your own

eliminating bubbles from the DT

Postby rolandgelo » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:03 pm

i have a 10 gallon sump placed above my 20 gallon DT like so;

my problem is the return line to my DT has too much bubbles for my taste..I don't want the bursting bubbles to splash water all over my light fixture, any ideas on how i could eliminate the bubbles from my return pipes?

here are some close up pics of the piping:

intake of the return pipe at the last chamber of the overhead sump

return line

return line inside the DT, you can see the bubbles formed

help pls

50G shallow nano-(retired)

Current tank-15G nano
rolandgelo
reefphilippines member

Re: eliminating bubbles from the DT

Postby denjah2005 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:11 pm

Sir baka pwede mo pa baliktarin yung elbow pipe mo from return.
Kasi nakakahigop sya ng air na parang nagcreate ng whirpool kaya may bubbles na bumabagsak sa DT.
denjah2005
reefphilippines member

Postby jerickson81 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:09 pm

jerickson81
reefphilippines member

Postby rolandgelo » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:30 pm

i tried that na mga sir...ang problema naman..sa laki ng PVC, natatalo nung siphon na nacrecreate nya ung pump ko..kaya nangyayari nauubos ung water before marefill nung flow mula sa ibang chambers..tapos dahan dahan na aakyat uli water level sa return chamber then mauulit nanaman ung cycle

Current tank-15G nano
rolandgelo
reefphilippines member

Postby waterlou » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:44 pm

Try mo "T" instead of elbow (upper elbow) then add ka ng few inches of pvc para di umapaw from T.

HTH
34L AquaStyle 380
Skimmerless
Sumpless
FOWLR
waterlou
reefphilippines member

Postby rolandgelo » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:58 pm

so idismantle ko ung elbow going down to the DT sir?..sige makahanap nga ng T piping bukas,thanks

PS: is there any other way to get rid of the bubbles without having to take the pipes apart?..nakasilicone na kasi eh...I was thinking of creating some kind of "bubble screen" sa intake ng return...meron bang ganun?

Current tank-15G nano
rolandgelo
reefphilippines member

Postby rolandgelo » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:27 pm

san ko ilalagay ung reducer sir? sa intake or sa ouput sa DT? or both? :lol: sorry mahina sa plumbing..hehe

Current tank-15G nano
rolandgelo
reefphilippines member

Postby rolandgelo » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:17 pm

ung vertical pvc mismo ? pano ung reducer na un smaller pipe na ilalagay ko sa loob? i guess i have no choice but to dismantle the piping..buti nalang maikli lang hehe

Current tank-15G nano
rolandgelo
reefphilippines member

Postby rolandgelo » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:32 pm

ah ok..pwede bang ilagay ko nalang ung valve right after nung intake sa last chamber ng sump?

Current tank-15G nano
rolandgelo
reefphilippines member

Postby pepperghost » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:05 am

in my opinion.. ang nangyayari sa loob ng pipe niyan ay nag spa-splash yung top level ng water ng DT sa loob ng pipe dahil sa binibigay ng return to tank mo na water... tingin ko you could only lessen that kung naka slant yung pipe mo ng konti para gumapang yung water sa loob ng pipe and hindi bumagsak at mag create ng bubbles from that splash...
75 Gallons
DSB, ATS, Mangrove
Buying Chaeto PM me if you have some to spare! need it badly! and urgent...
pepperghost
reefphilippines member

Postby rolandgelo » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:17 pm

hmmmm..thanks for the info sir...so it doesn't matter kung may air o wala sa intake kasi ung force pala ung dahilan ng bubbles...mukang papalitan ko nga talaga pipes :lol:

Current tank-15G nano
rolandgelo
reefphilippines member

Postby obet_carlos » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:12 am

try to mod the singapore style overflow para macontrol mo yung flow.. pero bulky lang tingnan..
obet_carlos
reefphilippines supporter

Postby rolandgelo » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:12 pm

Current tank-15G nano
rolandgelo
reefphilippines member

Postby snakebite214 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:17 am

In my opinion, bubbles going into the display tank cannot be eliminated with the current plumbing configuration. I have the same problem, though in reverse, bubbles are on the sump (at least). I tried different output styles, elbow, Tee, side Tee etc. A filter sock may help but it would not look good on your display tank.
The basic problem is, the bubbles comes from the intake, as the water flows down, it takes with it a lot of air, and that air will find its way on the outlet, which is your DT.
IMHO, to eliminate the bubbles, you must eliminate air from entering the intake, that means the intake must be submerged, to do that, you must restrict the flow going to the DT by means of a valve. This is sometimes termed as full siphon. The big problem with this setup is tuning the valve just right, too little flow and your sump will overflow, too much flow and air will be sucked in. To resolve that, create another down pipe as an overflow and an emergency drain in case the main pipe gets clogged.
This concept is from a thread at RC, describing a silent overflow, BeanAnimal also uses the same principle. In your case, your tanks are just in reverse.

HTH -snakebite-
snakebite214
reefphilippines member

Postby rolandgelo » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:53 am

thank you for all your input...I'll get myself a valve later this afternoon and try that...any suggestions on how I can plumb the back up overflow correctly and integrate it into my current set-up? TIA

Current tank-15G nano
rolandgelo
reefphilippines member

Next

Return to Do It Your Self