[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - budget for a new setup

budget for a new setup

If you are new to the hobby and would like to have some personalized attention, this is the forum to post your questions

budget for a new setup

Postby bolexis » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:59 pm

bolexis
reefphilippines member

Re: budget for a new setup

Postby tugasi » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:19 pm

starting budget would be around 20k as per my estimate... but it doesnt stoP there... someone in the international reef website compared having a reef tank as a well of unending expense!
tugasi
reefphilippines member

Postby bolexis » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:45 pm

bolexis
reefphilippines member

Postby seth » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:25 am

50-80k would be great. get DC pumps for your circulation. If you will travel frequently, having a reef controller would be nice.
Cheers,
Marty

seth
reefphilippines member

Postby tugasi » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:52 am

Budget is ok but if you are away most of the time...maintanance will be the issue...I often get a lot the question "is it easy to maintain a reef tank" my answer is always " its as if you have a newborn baby" :) im sure a lot of members will be willing to help you :) good luck and welcome to the addiction! :lol:
tugasi
reefphilippines member

Postby michuelo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:32 am

@bolexis tama si tugasi.... mahirap ang maintainance ng tank lalo na mga tulad natin ofw.. dapat knowledgable sa pagmaintain ng tank ang mapagiiwanan mo.. sa water level palang na araw araw bumababa, sa pag palit ng lights sa pag check ng filtrations at pagpakain uubos na ng oras... kaya ako asawa ko taga bantay ko! hehehe! and sa gastusin malakilaki ang need mo sa malaki na tank at wala nga katapusan gastusan yan...
matador lights and red horse dosing with marlboro lights

0921-290-5660
michuelo
reefphilippines member

Postby paulmt8 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:16 am

Mukang kulang ang 80k for state of the art :) I have 100G 6 month old reef tank. Medyo bago pa kaya updated pa ako sa price. Look for Paul's reef at members tank section.

Here's a breakdown of my 100g reef expenses. Looks like kasya budget mo if you use my tank as a guide :)

12,000 100g tank (1/4 in pa lang, I suggest you get 1/2 in thick glass) , 50g sump, cheap metal stand, plumbing
5,000 Pumps
4,000 Cheap china Jebo skimmer (get reef octo if you can)
17,000 1/2 HP haleia chiller
18,000 DIY 240W LED build (if you have time and skills)
6,000 2 jebao wp25 wave maker
4,000 live rocks, sand, etc.
2,100 1 box of blue treasure salt mix good for 150g
2,000 2 sets of test kits
6,000 2x reactors with Biopellet and GFO (optional, depends on your water parameters)
1,000 CD-R king ups
1,000 CD-R king timers for lights
11,000 optional: Wilcon reverse osmosis water purifier, or you can buy water from station
3,000 others
----------
92,000 TOTAL

Just like what I have said, this is my setup. You can go lower by omitting some items, or higher if you want state of the art. Fish and corals not yet included
100g 72x18x18 DT / 50g Sump
Hailea HC-500A Chiller
Reef Octopus NWB200
Jebao DC-12000 return pump
1x Jebao WP25, 1x Jebao WP40
84x 3W LED DIY
GFO and Biopellet TLF Reactors
Reef Angel Contoller
paulmt8
reefphilippines member

Postby thurrmac » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:57 am

i like the sound of that "state of the art filtration system"
you have a good mind set dude. good for the hobby yan,
i just hope your pocket will not make you think otherwise.
kasi malaki pa sa annual income ko magagastos mo :D
thurrmac
reefphilippines member

Postby seth » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:39 am

12k for a 1/4" thick 100g tank seems pricey, paul. :shock:

Anyway, 80k would be a good start. Although you will definitely have to spend more especially for the lights. Tama si paul, baka abutin ka pa ng 150-200k kung state of the art ang gusto mo. :)

Ty to plan first on what you really want to keep, and plan ahead for potential problems that may arise and what you would do if they happen.

Get the best circulation pumps (wavemakers and return pumps) , get the best brand of salt and the best skimmer you can. Madalas kasi mas dadami ang kailangang gastos kapag hindi ka full time sa tank.
Cheers,
Marty

seth
reefphilippines member

Postby paulmt8 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:34 am

Total yun Seth, 3k 100g, 2.5k sump, 4k metal stand plumbing etc.
100g 72x18x18 DT / 50g Sump
Hailea HC-500A Chiller
Reef Octopus NWB200
Jebao DC-12000 return pump
1x Jebao WP25, 1x Jebao WP40
84x 3W LED DIY
GFO and Biopellet TLF Reactors
Reef Angel Contoller
paulmt8
reefphilippines member

Postby juliusgiron » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:32 am

Napaisip tuloy ako bigla kung magkano na nagastos ko lol :lol:
Parang ayoko na computin hehe
juliusgiron
reefphilippines member

Postby bolexis » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:02 pm

first of all po, maraming salamat po sa mga reply ninyo mga good sirs- it is very much appreciated, i'll try to start po to work on buying the equipment mentioned by sir paul upon my break on this coming late april. I have an 11 year old son who I think is enthusiast din on the project I think he would be able to maintain a simple maintenance of keeping the water level and maybe the salinity level of it in a daily level provided of course both of us could learn how to use the test kits / meter :) . I have po some addition questions if you guys don't mind.

i'm practically on a 13 weeks ON / 3 weeks OFF work ratio roster - is it possible or even advisable po ba mga sir na I-culture po muna ang water and po yung live rocks for the first 13 weeks upon initial setup then just gradually add corals and live fishes upon my next break?

secondly po, ask ko lang po any reputable equipment store that you guys recommend anywhere close to Malolos City.

thirdly po, ok pa ba tong tank - I saw this one on sulit Image

this is po yung post.

maraming salamat po

kind regards

bolex
bolexis
reefphilippines member

Postby aljan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:08 pm

hi,

we are a community, im sure most will help u w/o compensation.

what i will sugest though is rather than thinking of the budget first,
is to plan the tank itself first, budget can change esp if you dont PLAN things
well.

if you are mostly not here, i will invest in holding tanks. so you can easily water change
when you are here. and another holding tank to maintain water salinity
dripped or dosed depending on water lost daily to precipitatin etc.

also if i were you, and i were just beginning and you dont have all the exp yet,
i would start w a 50-60gal, for reasons of its easier to maintain,
and in this hobby you mostly get what you pay for. so i mean instead of buying 2 lights example
10,000 each. you can spend the remaining money on a doser which will make ur life
so much easier. or a bigger skimmer.

things i will do if i were to relocate my tank or restart:
put my tank near drain. for automatic water changes or drains for emergency
and overflow for skimmer.

imho things that are a must to reallllly enjoy d hobby:
1. a way to export nutrients & Esp phospates. either gFO or a sep tank for macro algae. (MUST!!!)
2. doser if u can
3. RO water supply

and btw, w chillers. watch your elec bill. thats why i sugested a smaller tank
which is not nano(50gal+) would hate to see people try and fail then quit.

goodluck!
aljan
reefphilippines member

Postby immortalbreaker » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:20 pm

Bro, san ka sa malolos? grand royale subd. lang ako.

Sad to say, walang local fish store near us that could cater to our hobby needs. Nearest I go is at fevmarine at Q.C.

Drop by ka minsan, I'd be willing to help you on my free time. I'm not an expert though! :mrgreen:
Custom Tank (50gal water volume) - SOLD

Custom AIO - Current Tank
immortalbreaker
reefphilippines member

Postby bolexis » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:41 pm

bolexis
reefphilippines member

Next

Return to New to the hobby