[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - Branching out to marine aquarium... please help

Branching out to marine aquarium... please help

If you are new to the hobby and would like to have some personalized attention, this is the forum to post your questions

Branching out to marine aquarium... please help

Postby astig » Sat May 13, 2006 12:24 pm

i have been lurking around the forums now for the past few days, trying to learn in the setting up and care of an aquamarine habitat. been into freshwater, with cichlids (FHs', parrots, blue acana, red jewel) but since my daughters saw the clowns in a LFS here in our side of the country, they haven't stopped pestering me for their own aquarium. i'm sure in the long run i'd still be the one who's going to take care of these kasi mabilis lang naman magsawa mga kids.

anyway, i have spare tanks of (1) 75gal and (1) 35 gal size. I'm thinking of starting first with the smaller tank to be used for fish(NEMO) :wink: and live rocks only (FOWLR setup).

now to my concerns... :)

1. the LFS owner suggested that I buy, first, water from them since I'm new into this, instead of buying the marine salts and mixing it and preparing the water for marine setup. would that be a good way to start, since i wouldn't be needing the taxing preparatory part and checking of nitrates and ph balance and the like.

2. would it be okay to place the aquarium in the bedroom of the kids? (with aircon, windows never opened but even if it is so, there is good air movement)

3. been reading that the best substrate for this setup is grain 00 sand, but we don't have supply of that here. again, the owner suggested that I use #5 boracay pebbles, (didn't find any so I got #5 camiguin instead). would this be ok for the setup (FOWLR) plan?

4. what lights need I buy? though what's available are UV fluorescent tubes in 20w and 40w.

5. i have, existing, overhead and undergravel filters. which should i use for the marine setup?

that's it for now... but i'm sure lots of questions will still crop out... looking forward to the replies of the marine masters 8) 8) :) :)
COMPROMISE always takes you farther than you wanted to go. COMPROMISE always keeps you longer than you wanted to stay. COMPROMISE always costs you more than you want want to pay.
astig
reefphilippines member

Postby roy_gt » Sat May 13, 2006 1:00 pm

welcome to reefphil astig!

IMO, use your 75g as your main tank and convert your 35g as a sump. the larger the tank, the more stable it is and also you'll be buying equipments for that small tank that has almost the same price for the large tank.

don't buy UV tubes. it will kill your micro organisms and inhabitants. if its going to ba a fowlr, 1 10k lamp and 1-2 actinic lamps will do.

don't use the undergravel filter, it will do harm than good on saltwater setups since it would be impossile for you to clean it without disturbing the sand bed. buy a skimmer and buy a couple of powerheads/submersible pumps then check out the articles here about sumps.

also i suggest if you can drill an overflow for your tank(safest i think) before starting would be great and check out topics here regarding stands, plumbing etc. so that you'll enjoy having a trouble free setup.

just wait for other inputs of the masters here hehe.
roy_gt
reefphilippines member

Postby astig » Sat May 13, 2006 1:35 pm

thanks roy... so, a sump really is a must?
COMPROMISE always takes you farther than you wanted to go. COMPROMISE always keeps you longer than you wanted to stay. COMPROMISE always costs you more than you want want to pay.
astig
reefphilippines member

Postby roy_gt » Sat May 13, 2006 4:18 pm

sobrang dami benefits ng sump kasi.

water level mo constant, wala kang micro bubbles, concealed bulky equipments, dosing of additives nadidilute muna bago bumalik sa main, customized size ng compartments ensuring it will fit all equipments, added volume of water, etc.
roy_gt
reefphilippines member

Postby jolt26 » Sat May 13, 2006 5:03 pm

yes, definitely make it a sump. just have the tank drilled, get a return pump. I wont recommend using UGF or OHF. Also, I will think twice before listening to an LFS owner.

1. If I had FOWLR, i'd use saltmix. you'd be free of all the worries, like ich, diseases, pathogens, etc. besides, is he selling you NSW (natural saltwater)? If you get it from LFS, you definitely have to test for nitrates. If you use saltmix, nitrates is zero. Eventually, you have to test anyways.

2. yes. but you need to cycle, and cycling smells like hell. after cycling, it is relatively odor free.

3. the best substrate is 01. 00 is useless. pebbles will only trap dirt. i suggest you go bare bottom instead.

4. you may use any lights on fowlr. suggested is blue, actinic, or 20,000k bluish white light. but everything is for viewing pleasure only. you may buy a UV sterilizer instead.

5. none. use sump with liverocks, and skimmer.

read the post of Chonglai, the sticky post just above this thread "Basic things... to start...". be sure to cycle. Be patient. I'm 99% sure, the LFS will tell you not to cycle, and just buy this and that. If you dont cycle, fishes will likely die, and may be traumatic for your kids. and yes, there is a wealth of knowledge here, just take time to read. there is always the "search" button for easy researching.

goodluck and welcome to the hobby, and to the site ;)
Welcome to ReefPhilippines!

Hero of Rome

http://s1.gladiatus.ph/game/c.php?uid=18795
jolt26

Postby jackryan » Sat May 13, 2006 6:16 pm

JackRyan's 225G 6'x2'x2.5' Tank Project

jackryan

Postby lance126 » Sat May 13, 2006 9:04 pm

Welcome Astig :D

You could also look at the members tanks for reference to various setups.

Just take it slow, just research and plan. Proper planning and patience are key factors in succesfully putting up a marine system.

Good luck!
175 Gallon Reef Tank
w/ 75 Gallon Sump
6 feet T5 light enclosure w. 8x39 watts T5
RO skimmer
NP Pellets
DA Denitrator
Teco T20 Chiller
2 x Flow Accelerator from return pump
Sunsun 12000lph Powerhead
4xSeio M820 (820gph) powerheads
lance126
reefphilippines member

Postby manmarine » Sun May 14, 2006 7:45 am

20G aquarium without sump and skimmer:
6T5s: actinic/6500K/12000K/actinic/6500K/actinic with fans
1 pump for circulation
inhabitants: 3 orange-lined cardinal (apogon cyanosoma) & 7 snails
corals: blue actino, ricordeas (yellow & orange), open brains (green & red), orange brain, green lobo brain, chalices (green & violet), 2 red scolemia, celerina (green and pink), green star polyp, blastomussa (pink, red, violet/green, blue, red/violet, violet/red, red/blue).
manmarine
reefphilippines member

Postby jackryan » Sun May 14, 2006 9:24 am

jackryan

Postby lance126 » Sun May 14, 2006 8:24 pm

The only disadvantage i see from having the aquarium in an airconditioned room is huge temp swings when the AC is turned off.
175 Gallon Reef Tank
w/ 75 Gallon Sump
6 feet T5 light enclosure w. 8x39 watts T5
RO skimmer
NP Pellets
DA Denitrator
Teco T20 Chiller
2 x Flow Accelerator from return pump
Sunsun 12000lph Powerhead
4xSeio M820 (820gph) powerheads
lance126
reefphilippines member

Postby randell » Sun May 14, 2006 9:02 pm

Welcome!

I agree with the others... 75g for main tank and 35g for sump... you may want to buy some of your stuff whenever you are in manila, particularly equipment, test kits, etc.
80 gallon Rimless Elos Tank
Reef Maniac Beckette Skimmer
Eheim Return Pump
Marine Hub Lumenarc/Alanod Refloctors
250w Metal Hallide Lamps
Teco Chiller
SPS, LPS, etc.

http://randelltiongson.com/
Marine Hub @ Animal Depot (Metrowalk)
Follower of Jesus Christ
Honor God, Make Disciples
randell
reefphilippines supporter

Postby manmarine » Mon May 15, 2006 12:39 pm

20G aquarium without sump and skimmer:
6T5s: actinic/6500K/12000K/actinic/6500K/actinic with fans
1 pump for circulation
inhabitants: 3 orange-lined cardinal (apogon cyanosoma) & 7 snails
corals: blue actino, ricordeas (yellow & orange), open brains (green & red), orange brain, green lobo brain, chalices (green & violet), 2 red scolemia, celerina (green and pink), green star polyp, blastomussa (pink, red, violet/green, blue, red/violet, violet/red, red/blue).
manmarine
reefphilippines member

Postby jackryan » Mon May 15, 2006 12:48 pm

jackryan

Return to New to the hobby