[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - hello there!

hello there!

If you are new to the hobby and would like to have some personalized attention, this is the forum to post your questions

hello there!

Postby anghelish » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:19 am

hi! i'm new to this hobby and i think i've had my tank setupped for... five months na! so far everythings doing fine with my fishes and just this week, i added corals and they're like wow! so cool! my tank is 50gallons and i only use undergravel filters w/ powerheads on top of the tube. i read a book that sez that this type of filtration is rather effective but i dont really know about that, thats why i'm here to ask the experts. say, i've read some of the forum topics here and i was like blown away completely! u guys really know what you're doing and i really want to learn more from you people, like take this hobby a level higher, help me pretty please!
i just want to know what exactly do i need- equipments etc. like the sump? or the fuge or chaetos? i mean what are those? are they really necessary? in kartimar they just tell you that you need this and that and i don't think they actually know what they're saying.
oh, will you look at the time, i'm late na! hope you guys reply, and by the way,
this site rocks!
anghelish
reefphilippines member

Postby roy_gt » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:17 am

welcome to reefphil! :D

it depends on what type of setup you are aiming for. mostly all your questions are already answered. patience is the key! check out the topics posted and answered by the masters :D
roy_gt
reefphilippines member

Postby drmikelangelo » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:48 pm

welcome to reefphilippines

One thing i learned when i was in school is that when a book is published its content would be around 3 years old and some of the topics may already be passe

Ill try to help with my limited knowledge :)

1. undergravel filters are inefficient, old fashioned and becomes detius traps through time. Better find a way to remove it, im not so sure how.
A protein skimmer is a good addition, it removes disolved organic compound from the water. Adding a sump is also beneficial because it adds volume and stability to your system, it also gives you a place to dose trace elements and a place to put more live rocks.

2. for reef aquariums it is essential to have good flow, its recommended to have 16x to 20x turn over rate. to compute for turn over rate use this formula:
rate of power head(gph)/tank size (g)= turnover rate

3. lighting is essential for corals, because they undergo photosynthesis
i suggest T5 lights, Aqua Z will be available in our country soon, and the distributor is also a forumer here. Ill give you an example of how strong lights should be, here are some of the lights of forumers here

Fugu: 90g tank 4 T5, 2 250W metal halides
Jolt26: 90g tank total of 275w
Martintan:75g 5-40 watt sera deep blue actinic, 3-40 watt 20k coralife
1-150 watt metal halide xm 20k

there are 2 parameters that you need to be aware of, these are wattage and color temperature (K or Kelvin). Kelvin rating must be between 6500K to 20000K.

4. what type of water are you using? are you using synthetic salt mix or natural sea water?

5. The best advice of all is BE PATIENT

Lets start with these for now. Ask questions, youll learn alot here that you wont learn in cartimar. :) Happy reefing
drmikelangelo
reefphilippines member

Postby jolt26 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:59 pm

first of all, welcome!

-remove the aeration from the undergravel filter. cover it with sand bed, so it now becomes a plenum.
- it would be nice to know other details, like the type of light you use (coz this is important if you have corals), saltmix or NSW, etc. you dont have a sump right? also, check out the Basic Steps thread by Chonglai, see what you did and did not do.

btw, is that you on the avatar? or your wife and kid?
Welcome to ReefPhilippines!

Hero of Rome

http://s1.gladiatus.ph/game/c.php?uid=18795
jolt26

Welcome

Postby jackryan » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:32 pm

W E L C O M E !!!

Just have lots of patience and passion... have an open eye, open ears and open arms, and you will do well in in this undertaking...

-jackryan
JackRyan's 225G 6'x2'x2.5' Tank Project

jackryan

Postby randell » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:43 pm

hi! undergravel filtration doesnt work for saltwater tanks.. i had to find the hard way, haha. get a sum.. the guys here will help you
80 gallon Rimless Elos Tank
Reef Maniac Beckette Skimmer
Eheim Return Pump
Marine Hub Lumenarc/Alanod Refloctors
250w Metal Hallide Lamps
Teco Chiller
SPS, LPS, etc.

http://randelltiongson.com/
Marine Hub @ Animal Depot (Metrowalk)
Follower of Jesus Christ
Honor God, Make Disciples
randell
reefphilippines supporter

Postby wax_static » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:28 am

welcome po! jolt is right remoce the aeration from the undergravel filter to turn it into a plenum. maybe you can post a pic of your tank so we can see what other things it would need. :D
100gal reef? w/ inline
and 75gal sump w/ plenum, , DIY Sulfur deni, Atman UV sterilizer

20gal reef w/ 15gal sump/fuge, skimmerless
wax_static
reefphilippines member

Postby chonglai » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:44 am

a very lifeless and empty 180 gal tank and a dead 75gal sump.
chonglai

Postby wax_static » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:19 pm

baka kasi ma foul eh... kaya yung baby yung cute!!! :lol: :oops:

pero yun na din yun!! :lol:
100gal reef? w/ inline
and 75gal sump w/ plenum, , DIY Sulfur deni, Atman UV sterilizer

20gal reef w/ 15gal sump/fuge, skimmerless
wax_static
reefphilippines member

Postby audioactive08 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:53 pm

-Marty

To err is human, but to do the same error all over again is stupid.
If don't have patience for the hobby, it's better to quit.

Almost All-DIY 50g BB Mixed Reef, DIY Rocks / Plugs, Modded sunsun, Modded RO. 150w MH + Lumenarc.

Some fishes, Some SPS, Zoanthids and some other odds and ends.
audioactive08
reefphilippines member

Postby apol » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:19 pm

apol

Postby audioactive08 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:27 pm

Last edited by audioactive08 on Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marty

To err is human, but to do the same error all over again is stupid.
If don't have patience for the hobby, it's better to quit.

Almost All-DIY 50g BB Mixed Reef, DIY Rocks / Plugs, Modded sunsun, Modded RO. 150w MH + Lumenarc.

Some fishes, Some SPS, Zoanthids and some other odds and ends.
audioactive08
reefphilippines member

Postby manmarine » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:00 pm

20G aquarium without sump and skimmer:
6T5s: actinic/6500K/12000K/actinic/6500K/actinic with fans
1 pump for circulation
inhabitants: 3 orange-lined cardinal (apogon cyanosoma) & 7 snails
corals: blue actino, ricordeas (yellow & orange), open brains (green & red), orange brain, green lobo brain, chalices (green & violet), 2 red scolemia, celerina (green and pink), green star polyp, blastomussa (pink, red, violet/green, blue, red/violet, violet/red, red/blue).
manmarine
reefphilippines member

Postby anghelish » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:27 pm

anghelish
reefphilippines member

Postby reefphilippines » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:31 pm

reefphilippines

Next

Return to New to the hobby