[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - are these hermits reefsafe for clams and corals?

are these hermits reefsafe for clams and corals?

ReefKeeping Expert
http://www.chucksaddiction.com/

Moderator: charlesr1958

are these hermits reefsafe for clams and corals?

Postby GrAhF11 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:36 pm

hi charles! are these small hermits reef safe for corals and clams? and what do they really eat? do they eat cyano bacteria?

helping fellow hobbyist with their fishy needs.

60 gallons rimless cube 2x2x2 with approximately 25 gallon sump mixed reef
phosguard and seagel for phosphate control
RO dnw150 skimmer
rio hf 12 return pump
cheato
GrAhF11
reefphilippines member

Postby charlesr1958 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:22 pm

That is probably a Phimochirus holthuisi or maybe a Clibanarius species. For the most part, these species, which I can find most commonly in the shallows are very tough creatures and have to be in order to withstand near-shore conditions and will eat just about anything that is available, able to get by on just algae but should something meaty come along, you will find them by the dozens trying to get their share of the protein.

Clams should be okay as they can close up and protect themselves, corals might be at greater risk and for sure, any tube worms or other sessile inverts on the rocks would most likely get eaten in due time. I don't consider any but the Pagurita species to be reef safe, and only this genus group because they never leave their tube dwelling.

I personaly would not add these crabs to my reef aquarium, a fish only tank would be okay though.

Charles

Reef & Reef Aquarium Articles and Links
charlesr1958
reefphilippines member

Postby GrAhF11 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:35 pm

RO dnw150 skimmer
rio hf 12 return pump
cheato
GrAhF11
reefphilippines member

Postby spy_i » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:48 pm

follow more:

http://theprodigalcube.blogspot.com/

Image ImageImage

.... I'm a PC
spy_i
reefphilippines member

Postby charlesr1958 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:56 pm

The Paguritta species, which there are a few live within burrows in living corals and most often, take over empty "Christmas tree" worm tubes, these are the only hermit crab species I enjoy as they never leave their burrows/tubes and do no real harm at all to the corals.

Charles

charlesr1958
reefphilippines member

Postby khuran » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:11 pm

hrmm looks nice, so are the ones pictured by graf pagurittas?

Beware of wolves in sheep's clothing.
From Harbinger of DOOM, to PraiseMaster in a snap!
khuran
reefphilippines member

Postby aquaboy » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:26 pm

they don't look like much of a clean up crew crab. I'm guessing they eat like porcelain crabs?
Love your tank.
aquaboy
reefphilippines member

Postby charlesr1958 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:31 pm

No, the ones in the first photos are the typical shell dwelling mobile species while the Paguritta species remain in their tubes at all times, and yes, they do feed exactly like Porcelain crabs (feathery appendages to capture food particles out of the water).

Chuck

charlesr1958
reefphilippines member

Postby aquaboy » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:57 pm

Dude grahf11, they will not eat Cyano these paguritas. Unless it's floating on water? They do look like a very interesting addition to a small reef.

These were the halloween crabs I got at carti before. They did not bother my feather dusters and corals in my reef that crashed last year. Unlike the red legged voracious type, these are very small. I adopted them out. Now that I have a new nano I just need one so bad. They ate cyano and cleaned the sand. Some are blue, some are violet. The joints are orange.

Love your tank.
aquaboy
reefphilippines member

Postby GrAhF11 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:04 pm

i put 2 of those hermits that i have in my tank and so far my tube anemone coco worms and tube worms are all ok. theyd probably chew on them when food supply is low.

what is the best creature to put in a tank that eats cyano bacteria and other algae?

RO dnw150 skimmer
rio hf 12 return pump
cheato
GrAhF11
reefphilippines member

Postby charlesr1958 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:38 pm

I don't know of any creatures that we can buy that actively seek out and eat cyanobacteria, but with good water quality and good water flow, the cyanobacteria will go away on its own eventualy. For algae, since most all of the herbivores have select preferences and abilitys due to the great diversity of algae species and the same diversity of toxins they produce, we need to keep a diverse herbivore team.

Charles

charlesr1958
reefphilippines member

Postby GrAhF11 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:43 am

RO dnw150 skimmer
rio hf 12 return pump
cheato
GrAhF11
reefphilippines member

Postby charlesr1958 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:32 am

charlesr1958
reefphilippines member

Postby Flexi2009 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:31 am

Flexi2009
reefphilippines member

Postby GrAhF11 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:45 pm

thanks for that info also flexi. i have put in 2 salarias in it and hopefully the cyano algae will be lessened. it already blocked some of the gsp polyps from coming out. will also put in a lot of turbo and nassarius snails once theyve arrived.

RO dnw150 skimmer
rio hf 12 return pump
cheato
GrAhF11
reefphilippines member

Return to Ask Charles