[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - fresh water food for marine fishes?

fresh water food for marine fishes?

ReefKeeping Expert
http://www.chucksaddiction.com/

Moderator: charlesr1958

fresh water food for marine fishes?

Postby dean » Tue May 05, 2009 10:23 pm

dean
reefphilippines member

Postby charlesr1958 » Tue May 05, 2009 10:50 pm

That is probably one of the hardest questions I've ever been asked about fish, but here goes...

Prepared fish food such as flakes and pellets are just fine for both fresh and salt water fish, but only as long as the content of the prepared food matches the fishes natural diets for long term health. Which is why there are specialized prepared foods that include sponge matter for fish like angelfish, but since most flakes and foods are shrimp based, and are dry (no freshwater content), they are a basic good staple for many species.

What I believe happened to your fish when you fed them live freshwater shrimp had to do with the freshwater content of the shrimp. Given that the shrimp hold a lot of freshwater within their bodies, the sudden, large input of freshwater into the saltwater fish most likely caused an osmotic shock, and being that freshwater is not as dense as saltwater, it makes sense that a freshwater loaded fish would rise to the surface. This is also a good reason not to feed your large predatory fish any live freshwater fish.

Charles

Reef & Reef Aquarium Articles and Links
charlesr1958
reefphilippines member

Postby dean » Tue May 05, 2009 11:46 pm

dean
reefphilippines member

Postby mc » Wed May 06, 2009 1:08 am

mc
reefphilippines member

Postby charlesr1958 » Wed May 06, 2009 9:10 am

charlesr1958
reefphilippines member

Postby charlesr1958 » Wed May 06, 2009 9:16 am

charlesr1958
reefphilippines member

Postby dean » Wed May 06, 2009 2:33 pm

dean
reefphilippines member

Postby charlesr1958 » Wed May 06, 2009 8:33 pm

I was never one to be in the habit of using frozen freshwater foods simply out of fear of what happened to your fish but I suppose worms would be okay as a supplement on an occassional basis as worms don't hold a great deal of water as do shrimp. When I feed my fish, I always use a small saltwater shrimp that Linda buys at the market, they are dead, but fresh. I simply freeze them as a block after a good rinsing in old tank water and use a knife to shave the frozen block which ensures small pieces that the fish and other creatures can eat right away.

Charles

charlesr1958
reefphilippines member

Postby dean » Wed May 06, 2009 10:39 pm

Previously, I kinda did followed what you suggested .....instead of shrimps fed my fishes with some "dilis" (salt water ) dead but fresh from the market. Place them in small containers and kept them in the freezer.

Also, did swiped some fresh shrimps from my wife's marketing and took the risked of a scolding " social daw yung fish ko!" :)

However, small dilis are not readily available in the market. That's one of the reason why I alternate with live freshwater shrimps. Now, I know better!

Thanks!
dean
reefphilippines member

Postby labrador » Thu May 07, 2009 9:12 am

Hi guys,

While i never have kept large predatory fish, I've always been curious about the possibility of using mollies conditioned to live in saltwater to feed them. Mollies multiply very quickly and would be a cheap and self sustaining alternative wouldn't they?

I once was so desperate i actually considered using mollies to clean up my hair algae problem. Luckily for me, periodic scrubbing has for the most part gotten rid of my derbesia problem.

Just curious what your opinion would be on this.

Albert
labrador
reefphilippines member

Postby charlesr1958 » Thu May 07, 2009 7:43 pm

charlesr1958
reefphilippines member

Return to Ask Charles