[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - carbon and carbon pads

carbon and carbon pads

ReefKeeping Expert
http://www.chucksaddiction.com/

Moderator: charlesr1958

carbon and carbon pads

Postby naivete » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:58 pm

Sir Chuck. Do we really need carbon or carbon pads for SPS and more so a mixed reef?

We are keeping mixed reef and so far we don't encounter any problems. we only keep zoas and xenia for softies. For SPS, acros and acan and flavis.
naivete
reefphilippines member

Postby charlesr1958 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:06 am

Even if one does use a skimmer, which I don't, I would still recommend the use of carbon as it removes many compounds that are of no use and/or are harmfull to the life in our tanks, that and it thankfully does not remove the food sources of such things as bacteria and phytoplankton/algae. With soft corals present, the use of carbon becomes even more important or helpfull.

Charles

Reef & Reef Aquarium Articles and Links
charlesr1958
reefphilippines member

Postby obet_carlos » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:13 pm

how will i know if i must change the carbon i am using?:D
obet_carlos
reefphilippines supporter

Postby charlesr1958 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:22 pm

I haven't tried it, but I heard of a test put out by salifert? That is supposed to somehow be able to test the carbon but usualy I simply change it after 24 hours on a tank that has not run carbon, then weekly, then after doing that for four weeks, slow down to changing it out monthly. But this is when using a good amount of carbon, the little pads or a few teaspoons of carbon is of no real use. For my 80 gal tank, I normaly use one box at a time and change it every two weeks.

Charles

Reef & Reef Aquarium Articles and Links
charlesr1958
reefphilippines member

Return to Ask Charles