[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - Good Macro Algae to keep with SPS and clams?

Good Macro Algae to keep with SPS and clams?

ReefKeeping Expert
http://www.chucksaddiction.com/

Moderator: charlesr1958

Good Macro Algae to keep with SPS and clams?

Postby Clam Guy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:02 pm

Hi Chuck,

I'm trying to create a zen theme in my tank that will house primarily sps and clams. I want to add some macro algae in the main tank to create a more zen look. What type of macro algae would you recommend that is safe with sps and clams?

Also, do you know what macro algae this is and will sps and clams be ok with it?

Thanks in advance,

Guy

(I borrowed this photo from Gamol's thread :wink: )

Clam Guy
reefphilippines member

Postby charlesr1958 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:19 pm

Hi Guy,

Sorry, I can't make out enough details of that algae to guess at its species.

I am assuming that your system maintains low nutrients levels and would suggest those frondose algae species that are found further out from shore. Such algae require low nutrient levels unlike those found near shore that recieve a lot of run off (hair algae and such). Oh, and stay away from using the Caulerpa species, they are horrible for use in an enclosed system. The following link shows a great many species that would be of use although as I said, any of the macro algae covered rocks found further out should contain a nice mixture of species that are suitable for lower nutrient levels.

Wish I could just throw a list of algae at you, but there are just far too many, and far too many found here in the Philippines for me to list all of the possible choices. Any of the branching and "leafy" types should be just fine. Of course, avoid the known pest species (bubble, hair and caulerpa)

http://www.surialink.com/HANDBOOK/

http://www.saltcorner.com/sections/gues ... aepage.htm

Chuck

Reef & Reef Aquarium Articles and Links
charlesr1958
reefphilippines member

Postby Clam Guy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:27 pm

Thanks a lot. You're a big help. It will be a low nutrient tank as you guessed. I'll keep you posted if I find anything suitable.

Cheers
Clam Guy
reefphilippines member

Return to Ask Charles