[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - chem war fare betwween soft corals

chem war fare betwween soft corals

A forum for people who are obsessed with keeping Soft corals.

chem war fare betwween soft corals

Postby tommy » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:41 pm

Tankless...last tank lasted 2Y2M5D!
tommy
reefphilippines member

Postby jackryan » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:48 pm

JackRyan's 225G 6'x2'x2.5' Tank Project

jackryan

Postby Clam Guy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:35 am

Yes there can be. I read somewhere that cladiella and sinularia hate each other. I just can't find the link, but I did find this:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/softcrlcompfaqs.htm

Leather & Colt corals
I have had a beautiful leather coral in my tank for 9 months. It has
grown to about 10 inches long with a "top" that is about 6 inches in
diameter. The top is covered with polyps that look like little straws.
Each polyp is about 3/4 of an inch long and they are tightly packed over
the entire surface of the "top". I have a Midas Blenny that regularly
perches on this coral. When it does, the polyps withdraw, and then
re-extend when the Midas swims away. The fish doesn't seem to bother
the leather at all.
This week I added a Colt coral to my 50 gallon reef tank. It is in the
opposite corner from my Leather coral. The Colt fully extends in the
light and all of it's polyps come out. It seems to be doing very well.
Three days after introducing the Colt to my tank, I noticed that the
Leather coral was starting to look less healthy. It's polyps are more
withdrawn and not fully extended. I have not changed the supplements to
my tank and the water conditions are excellent with plenty of current
and light.
My questions: Even though separated by 20 inches, could the Colt coral
be putting out mucus or chemicals (into the water) that the Leather
coral is having an adverse reaction to? Will the Leather become
accustomed to the Colt coral? Do I need to remove one of the corals?
Thanks for your help, R. Marsh
>>
Very perceptive, and useful observations. Yes to the chemical interaction... and probably no to having to move the animal. I would place a unit of activated carbon in the filter flow path at this point and "hope for the best"... in all likelihood, an equilibrium/truce will be struck between these two soft corals (order Alcyonacea), with the Leather re-opening within a few weeks.
Bob Fenner
And God said let the water teem with living creatures and he saw that it was good.

http://www.reefphilippines.com/forums/v ... php?t=7694
Clam Guy
reefphilippines member

Postby tommy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:37 am

thanks bro..
Tankless...last tank lasted 2Y2M5D!
tommy
reefphilippines member

Postby Clam Guy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:23 pm

Anytime Tommy.
And God said let the water teem with living creatures and he saw that it was good.

http://www.reefphilippines.com/forums/v ... php?t=7694
Clam Guy
reefphilippines member

this might help

Postby rav888 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:30 pm

============================

Rav888
rav888
reefphilippines supporter

Return to Soft Coral Keepers