[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - calcium problem

calcium problem

This forum is intended for the discussion of ‘Advanced Topics’. Under this broad heading we hope to act as a resource and share information about difficult to keep animals and advances in technology, ideas, or reef keeping methodologies.

calcium problem

Postby robertjamesgallardo » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:42 pm

my calcium is 140ppm... ya, very low... that's why i bought and started dosing calcium supplement made by red sea. i followed the instruction but the calcium did not increase. i don't want to waste the red sea supplement that's why i wanted to dose an alternative calcium supplement, either CaOH or CaCl2 + NaHCO3. my pH is 8.2 and my KH is 10, PO4 is 3.5 and am still dosing vodka to help reduce my nitrate and phosphate.
mukha kasing kulang yung calcium ng salt mix ko, and dosing the red sea supplement is not helping.. parang pang support lang sila pero hindi talaga pang taas ng salt concentration ng calcium. and i don't like baking pa... hehehehe.

what kaya maganda? kalk kaya muna ako tapos tingnan ko kung okay... pag hindi, saka ako mag 2 part sol'n... ??? o mag two part na ako kaagad? di ko pa kasi gamay mag mix...

pH = 8.2
ammonia = 0
nitrite = 0
nitrate = 20
phosphate = 3.5
calcium = 140
KH = 10

again thanks for putting inputs on my queries.
Last edited by robertjamesgallardo on Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15g DT
Skimmer
1 Fixture AquaOne Led with moonlight
Started 7 Jan 2011, cycle ended 29 Jan 2011
mixed reef nano tank
robertjamesgallardo
reefphilippines member

Re: calcium problem

Postby shandy_say » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:26 pm

The calcium supplement ng red sea in essence should be the same as 2 part supplementation. Are you testing correctly? What test kit?

Also what saltmix are you using?
You want to display your LIVESTOCKS and not your LIVE ROCKS!
shandy_say
reefphilippines member

Postby yoki » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:00 pm

200 gal
Ai sol blue
nbw 200 skimmer
Biopellet
phos reactor,rowaphos media
denitrator diy
Mp40esw
diy vodka, gkucose, cal, mag, stront, alk,k+, iron, iodine
hailea chiller
32hf return pump
LS sps and lps
yoki
reefphilippines member

Postby robertjamesgallardo » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:15 pm

ganito po kasi yun... the tank was established in january without my test kits yet. i was using a dipstick (urinalysis) tester and its giving me low result for ph... the next thing i did was dosing inconsiderable amounts of NaHCO3. when i first bought API's saltwater test kit my pH was 8.8! no reef test kits yet so i did not know how much my calcium was in my system. i did my water change using biomix since i was only cycling then (though bought too many bags :x ). then i started adding the LS. some have survived, some did not. then... since i was using biomix and thinking about its reputation (the negatives, etc.), and also wanting to add corals, i started purchasing API's reef master test kit. then i discovered my calcium is very low (140ppm) i tested again and again, followed their instructions, then the same result still appears. i bought yesterday (2H2O)+CaCl2 (Calcium Chloride Dihydrate) and followed the dosing (via Reef Chemistry Calculator CF © http://reef.diesyst.com/cf/chemcalccf.html). tinimpla ko po sa 1 bucket of RO/DI H2O and introduced 1/4 of it into my tank. the coral (goniopora) seemed shocked so am still observing and cut off the dosing first. though my Ca went up na and now it's 220ppm. haven't tested the KH yet (very busy kasi).
the reason why my KH was high is it was already supplemented before but the calcium stayed lower than expected, so no KH was used since the calcium was very low. i'll test the water again tomorrow. am still using biomix/ (though i used marina mix/ saw seachem saltmix but haven't tried yet/ and NSW minsan), i tried contacting someone here because i wanted to purchase the IO saltmix that he's selling but never replied any of my messages. biomix is okay naman (as per my experience, and i love getting busy with it and improving my skills in reefkeeping :))
thanks for the replies... I appreciate it...
uhm... PS: by next year i'll be leaving na (somewhere i don't know pa)... uhm pa adopt po ha.. hehehe...
15g DT
Skimmer
1 Fixture AquaOne Led with moonlight
Started 7 Jan 2011, cycle ended 29 Jan 2011
mixed reef nano tank
robertjamesgallardo
reefphilippines member

Return to Advance discussions