silver scat for aiptasia control(?)

This forum is intended for the discussion of ‘Advanced Topics’. Under this broad heading we hope to act as a resource and share information about difficult to keep animals and advances in technology, ideas, or reef keeping methodologies.

silver scat for aiptasia control(?)

Postby bigfoot » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:07 am

has anyone tried this here? meron po ba nito sa mga fish stores natin?

i was doing some reading and found that some people abroad have tried the silver scat/spotbanded scat (Selenotoca multifasciata) for aiptasia control and was very successful. they say it was able to clean out a tank of any aiptasia in less than a week. It is a brackish water fish, easy to acclimate to saltwater and not aggressive to most fish. hindi rin daw ito picky feeder so madaling pakainin.

based on my readings, the adults of this species actually prefer saltwater and is supposedly found in the indo-pacific waters so maybe we have this as well in local LFS selling freshwater and brackishwater aquarium fish.

i for one will try to look for this fish when i get an opportunity to visit cartimar or some other LFS. my aiptasia problem has gotten worse over the year and prefer "natural" means of control.

=)
50gal softies tank(Feb2007 - Oct2011)
20gal sump/fuge
DSB and caulerpa
skimmerless
www.reefphilippines.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4759

100 gal sunlit display (Started Sept 2011)
20 gal macroalgae refugium
20 gal sump
skimmerless
bigfoot
reefphilippines member

Re: silver scat for aiptasia control(?)

Postby naivete » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:34 pm

why not a copper band butterfly
naivete
reefphilippines member

Re: silver scat for aiptasia control(?)

Postby doctorhannibal » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:37 pm

Any update about this?? desperately want to get rid all the aptaisia in my tank... I've been using joe's juice pero hirap patayin yung mga nakatago sa ilalim ng bato, kaya dumadami ulit.
LET HE WHO HAS MADE NO MISTAKES CAST THE FIRST LIVE ROCK! - Holy Book of Reefkeeping, Newbies Testament.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no-one thinks of changing himself" -Leo Tolstoy
doctorhannibal
reefphilippines member

Return to Advance discussions