[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - Zen Keeper's 160gal AIO

Zen Keeper's 160gal AIO

Post the details of your tank for everyone to see.

Zen Keeper's 160gal AIO

Postby Zen Keeper » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:52 am

Finally, I got the time to absorb it all in and managed to post my let's just say fast and slow build =>

It all started a few months back when I took the plunge and decided to have my own Saltwater setup. It was a slow day in the office and I did my usual thing (when I get bored =>) and searched olx for items I would want to own someday (my own way of window shopping haha) I typed saltwater aquarium as I have dreamt to have my own since I was a kid. One post caught my attention as it was already the full setup including the water and sand and all that I needed to do was plug it in. I texted the number posted and hoped I wouldn't receive a reply hahaha but lo and behold the number replied with the message "yes, still available". Fast forward to 2 weeks. I decided to risk it all and buy the set. It was Immortalbreaker's 35g dt set, he delivered it to me on a Sunday night and I immediately fell inlove with it, although I was suprised how big it was but nonetheless I was really happy with it.

It was a match made in heaven since it was so easy as what was advertised I just have to plug it in. Walang hirap, I was thinking that time, kala ko ba mahirap ang saltwater??! He then introduced me to RP and PMRAS and told me to read there for pointers and suggestions. So I did, my first post there was to look for hobbyists in Quezon City. A few replied including "el presidente" Marty! Haha and kung kilala niyo si Marty alam niyo na kung ano nangyari and the rest was history hahaha

Lahat ng akala kong ginagawa ay mali pala haha it wasn't that simple as I presumed. I slowly learned the jargons and how to do it right (it felt
like algebra and chemistry 101) I was really overwhelmed and though "ano ba tong pinasok ko" haha. I was satisfied with my 35g setup until My tank got hit by "ich" I was ready to give up that time as all of the fish I added slowly died one by one. I was devastated. But these people (Marty, Chokie,Armand, and Marvin) keep on pushing me and encouraging me, they were all saying one word - UPGADE!!!! Sabi ko sa sarili ko neknek nila! Gastos na naman!

I tried my best not to be influenced but I can't seem to deny the force within haha the following happened and the rest is history haha

It all started from this setup which I bought from a fellow reefer (Immortalbreaker):

Then El Presidente sent me this (plano lang dapat at malayo na gawin):

So the planning began, my target was early 2015 but each day I tired to hold back the urge to upgrade increased and increased until I finally gave in! Pikit mata na haha

The Build

Stand: If you know how meticulous Marty is when it comes to stand then you will understand why I overkilled it haha (I'm not good in diy so I hired pur ever relaible carpenter for this haha)

It was supposed to be a simple stand until I decided to put cabinets (the wife is pissed with all my equipment lying everywhere haha)

El Presidente dropped by to check of I was doing it all right haha

I was contemplating on what color the stand would be and since I was already all out, I decided to have it laminated => black it is!!

While I was still waiting for the tank, amd because we have time we decided to do this:

DIY Rocks c/o Marty - Sand, Portland cement, Perlite from Cidar Hills (check diy section)

Kung ako lang yan hindi ko magagawa yan, it's a long and painful wait haha

Continous boiling and water change to to bring down PH

Not to mention daily sun-bathing

But it was all worth it after 2-3 months haha

Back to the build, this man delivered big time!! 1 week notice and he came knocking at my door =>

The tank 60x30x24 1/2 thick AIO nlack silicone

Almost didn't fit our front door haha

Mang Ramon effortlesly jumped in haha

My daughter even thought it was her own swimming pool inside the house haha

Tired and all but I didn't forget to take a selfie with the Man!!! Haha

It was at this point that I realized, there is no turning back now!! Haha it was all too late to do that now. I was in for the ride of my life haha

Substrate - Boracay sand and fine white marble:

This I thought would be a walk in the park. Hell no!!! It took me 2 days to finish it hahaha

Good thing I have my lovely assistant with me =>

Equipmet - DC6000 pump, 1 RW 15 and RO Skimmer:

The cycle - RODI. Reef Crystals and a lot of weight lifting hahah =>

Special thanks to these two for helping me set it up =>

The Cycle - added substrate, some LR and bioptim for seeding:

Let there be water! => added 150 gallons of rodi and Reef Crystal mixed and aerated for 24hours:

And then the waiting begins => cycled for a good 1 1/2 months

Seal and re-seal - Marty strikes again with his OC-ness haha ensuring no moisture will build up in the stand.

At siyempre hindi mawawala ang breaktime haha

The lights - 4 Multi 20watts from ACRC with PWM and 4 Luxeons RB, diy frame c/o Aguila glass and 8 high powered Heat Sink Fan for ventillation:

While we are waiting for the tank to cycle we started the diy led fixture, again for the nth time it was not as easy as I expected it to be. From the placing to the soldering, it was pain in the @ss hahaha but we namaged to get it done with the help of my company's electrician for good measures haha

Frame: 8 slots to accomodate 8 Leds

4 pcs 20 watts multi

The moment of truth (trial number 1)

Success!!! It shows on my master's face haha

Now, the Luxeons:

My living area might not need lights anymore haha

Another challenge is how to hang it above the tank, I was having second thoughts of how safe it will be to hang the fixture. Time for a visit to Wilcon and look for the strongest possible tools and material to use. I ended up using chains and over sized screws haha (Marty will he proud of me haha)

Finishing touches - organizing the wires, controllers and the likes:

As much possible I want to have the system fail safe since I have kids running around, also it's an eyesore having the wires all exposed and tangled up.

(Hold your horses, I know it's not the best idea to put it inside a plastic cabinet - I already replaced it with a wooden one haha)

I also addes GFCI as advised by no other than EL Presidente!

Before the cycle is over, I added some media - AC and GFO from Aquariatech:

Added cover also for safety:

Some husbandry items/emergency items I neglected at first but realized how important they are:

Usb pump for power shortage

It was really one hell of a ride for me, about 5 months ago it was just a dream for me. Without the help of my newly found friends (Marty, Chockie, Armand, and Marvin) I would have not even tried going into the hobby. It was stressfull,painful both physically and financially haha. There were some sleepless nights, dissapointments, a punch from the Wife (literally) but it was all worth it!!! I sometimes just stare at my tank for a good 10-15 minutes and be in awe of how I (we) managed to pull this one away.

Some pictures of the tank with LS (will upload better picture once I got the chance to do a photo session haha

But wait, it's far from over hahaha I already have projects lined up hahaha

And of course the biggest factor why I decided to get into the hobby - lucky are we who have the support of our better halves. Understanding every late night husbandry, early morning adjustments and the never ending gastos =>

My wife is now a reefer just like me, she's the one who calls and reports to me whenever there are irregularities and issues with the tank, she also loves going to LFS! I just might dig in buying a Blue Hippo (her favorite) just don't nip please hahaha

There is more to come. I'm sure => haha
Last edited by Zen Keeper on Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
"The world’s finest wilderness lies beneath the waves …"
Zen Keeper
reefphilippines member

Re: Zen Keeper's 160gal AIO

Postby loidimi » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:15 am

Nice project! Astig yung set up mo.:)
loidimi
reefphilippines member

Postby yose_ » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:02 am

Very nice documentation bro. Good reference for others. :)

and nice setup talaga! ito pinakamalaking AIO na nakita ko. hehe.
The more you learn, the more you realize how much you don't know.
yose_
reefphilippines member

Postby Zen Keeper » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:07 am

Zen Keeper
reefphilippines member

Postby Zen Keeper » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:10 am

Zen Keeper
reefphilippines member

Postby seth » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:40 am

Nice, na-post na rin sa wakas! Hahaha :lol:

Pag nasira yung stand mo (na ginamitan ng 2x4 at 2x6 posts), o nagkaproblema sa electricals (na may gfci) ewan ko na lang. Hahahaha

Isang dagdag na lang diyan, lagyan mo ng laminate yung ilalim ng hagdan para di magka-saltcreep hehe
Cheers,
Marty

seth
reefphilippines member

Postby sesame1 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:00 am

Congrats on your tank! Ganda ng tank! Very nice documentation, comes to show how dedicated you truly are in this hobby :)
sesame1
reefphilippines member

Postby Zen Keeper » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:27 am

Zen Keeper
reefphilippines member

Postby Zen Keeper » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:28 am

Zen Keeper
reefphilippines member

Postby seth » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:31 am

2 radion xr15 haha o 3 prime lol :lol:

Yung glass reactors na lang wala haha. Antayin mo yung luxeon builds. Pati yung beaglebone black controller namin ni sp00k3d. :D
Cheers,
Marty

seth
reefphilippines member

Postby immortalbreaker » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:41 pm

Ganda!

Custom Tank (50gal water volume) - SOLD

Custom AIO - Current Tank
immortalbreaker
reefphilippines member

Postby chockie » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:18 pm

Nice tank and documentation!!! More equips to come!
chockie
reefphilippines member

Postby jancorwin12 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:32 pm

sir nice setup. na-concerned lang ako nung nakita ko picture bata, kasi may mga anak din ako. parang medyo mababa stand mo. nakakatakot pag may bata since matalim at matigas corners ng tank. baka magawan paraan para maitago edges

or nabilog naman edges?
jancorwin12
reefphilippines member

Postby Zen Keeper » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:20 pm

Zen Keeper
reefphilippines member

Postby seth » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:29 pm

Yup and may bump guard yung corners ng stand mismo. Actually Jonathan hinasa ni Mang Ramon yung sides, hindi nga lang beveled. Naisip ko rin yang concern ni jan dati. Buti at may allowance rin yung lapad ng stand sa tank, mas less yung risk na maka-injure lalo sa bata.
Cheers,
Marty

seth
reefphilippines member

Next

Return to Member Tanks