[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - Yose's nano reef

Yose's nano reef

Post the details of your tank for everyone to see.

Re: Yose's nano reef

Postby yose_ » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:46 pm

ok. gets gets, ganun pala yun. :) as always, thanks marty! :D

main learning: bacteria population is not equal to the amount of food (nutrients) present in the system.

The more you learn, the more you realize how much you don't know.
yose_
reefphilippines member

Postby seth » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:20 pm

yes, aavailability of nutrients and surface area goes hand in hand. if the ta nk already have the nutrients but do not have enough surface area to house bacteria, you will have a surplus of nutrients.

in other words, seeing any detectable nutrients is already a sign that you have excess, and the surface area for bacterial colonies have been already saturated.

That's only the bacterial aspect of it, (nitrogen cycle, that is) algae and protists like cyanobacteria are also big players in the nitrogen cycle. So are husbandry, equipments and other media.

as for putting too much LR or DSB but still having nutrient issues, that is for another discussion hehe
Cheers,
Marty

seth
reefphilippines member

Postby yose_ » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:02 pm

yose_
reefphilippines member

Postby RonSax » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:56 am

@yose: yap its logical.. Im no scientist here pero kung mabilis na bumaba ang ammonia and nitrite mo. What does it mean? kung mataas naman nitrate mo, the only logical to do there is to do water change. Am i right? Unless may chaeto ka or caulerpa or denitrator ka, syempre phospate is another issue.

Kung may excess nutrients ka while cycling, maybe you can do water change but i think kakainin pa rin ng bacteria yan in time, matatagalan nga lang.. To lessen that maybe you can do partial water change to lower them.

Huwag kang matakot na gamitin ang testkit mo kasi after ng cycle, bihira mo na magagamit yan.. Especially kung ammonia nitrite ang pag-uusapan. Baka mag-expire na yan pero dpa rin ubos laman ng testkit mo. HTH
Music is my PASSION
My Girlfriend is my OBSESSION and
Reefing is my ADDICTION
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
RonSax
reefphilippines member

Postby seth » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:09 am

Cheers,
Marty

seth
reefphilippines member

Postby yose_ » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:17 am

yose_
reefphilippines member

Postby RonSax » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:41 pm

korek mga kapatid! :-) amen to that
Music is my PASSION
Reefing is my ADDICTION
RonSax
reefphilippines member

Postby yose_ » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:00 pm

Update:
March 24, 2014 (5 weeks into cycling)

Lapit na!

Still waiting for the algae to bloom... :?
yose_
reefphilippines member

Postby RonSax » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:40 am

looking good! :D
Music is my PASSION
Reefing is my ADDICTION
RonSax
reefphilippines member

Postby thurrmac » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:52 am

ayos :mrgreen:
thurrmac
reefphilippines member

Postby yose_ » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:04 am

Thanks RonSax and Thurrmac! :)

DISCLAIMER: This tank is still in the cycling stage so dont expect any colorful LSs yet, just boring photos of test kit readings and nuisance algae. :lol: I am just documenting each step of setting up the tank and hopefully this thread can serve as reference to future reefers who want to start the hobby the right way. :wink:

UPDATE: March 28, 2014 (Cycling @ 6 weeks)
Started turning on the lights (8-hr photoperiod) the moment nitrite starts to be undetectable.

At dahil nasa last (and longest) part na ko ng cycling, I will start monitoring my nitrates more frequently (seems unusually high for me) :?

At least 2 spots with diatoms...

yose_
reefphilippines member

Postby seth » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:37 am

Have you tried testing for PO4 yet? If it is undetectable, then you won't see the "bloom" you are expecting. Then there is also iron. (Redfield ratio)

Silicates are already present since you have diatoms. :)

Anyway, I also hope this would set as a good example for newbies, to have a visual reference on the succession of microorganisms (bacteria, algae, pods and worms to name a few) during the tank's initial startup, in a typical setting.

Some tanks will have all four (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and phosphate) at the same time, some won't. But the ending will be the same, and the tank will balance itself out eventually.
Cheers,
Marty

seth
reefphilippines member

Postby yose_ » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:35 am

Thanks Marty..oo nga forgot about that redfield ratio. But anyway, bumibilis na yung rate ng pagdami ng algae so looking good I think. :)

Share ko lang din yung light fixture ko:

40W PAR30 LED from Aquariatech
2x7W CDR King downlights
DIY light rack and wiring

Will adjust relative height and distance from water surface pag may LS na... :)

Thanks RP. :)
yose_
reefphilippines member

Postby thurrmac » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:43 am

thats a good height to me. nice lights :D
thurrmac
reefphilippines member

Postby seth » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:03 pm

Kamusta yung ilaw? Maayos naman yung blending?

PS

Kahit isang fan lang diyan sa ilaw bro, wag kalimutan hehe
Cheers,
Marty

seth
reefphilippines member

PreviousNext

Return to Member Tanks