zoas?

A forum for people who are obsessed with keeping LPS corals.

zoas?

Postby oliverandvinih » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:10 pm

what could be the reasons why zoas wont open? thank you. :D
The More You Sweat In Training,
The Less You Bleed In Battle.
oliverandvinih
reefphilippines member

Re: zoas?

Postby dahcmed » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:15 pm

oliverandvinih wrote:what could be the reasons why zoas wont open? thank you. :D

I think this should be in the soft coral section :)

Some zoas takes a while before they adjust to your tanks parameters, especially lighting. I got some that opened on the 1st hour they were in my tank, some took a week.

Something could also be bothering them, especially sundial snails, irritants, angelfish that seem to love them, zoapox, etc.

Here's a good read - http://www.njreefers.org/joomla/index.p ... _next=prev
dahcmed
reefphilippines member

Postby oliverandvinih » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:23 pm

thank you sir. but how about zoas that opened up for an hour and after 24 hours they didnt open again? is there any possibility that they will still open up after 1 week? my cousin had a problem same as mine, his zoas had brown algae on it and some told me to just brush it of gently with toothbrush and thats what i did. pero still they wont open. any tips sir? another question is, does nitrates contribute to my cousins problem?

sorry for the wrong thread. kinldy move it na lang po mga mods. :D
oliverandvinih
reefphilippines member

Postby dahcmed » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:46 am

Hi Vin,
Try to observe if it actually opens even a bit during lights off, that could mean that it's getting shocked with the light. I'm using MH and I did have one that bleached even if it's on the sandbed already. If it's the light, you can use some eggcrates over it to shield it off from too much light or find a low light area in your tank.

If algaes are growing on it (which could be attributed to low flow or that the zoas never really opened up again), I would use a baster or my fingers (that have no open wounds :D) to brush it off as the toothbrush might irritate them more.
dahcmed
reefphilippines member

Postby oliverandvinih » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:18 pm

dahcmed wrote:Hi Vin,
Try to observe if it actually opens even a bit during lights off, that could mean that it's getting shocked with the light. I'm using MH and I did have one that bleached even if it's on the sandbed already. If it's the light, you can use some eggcrates over it to shield it off from too much light or find a low light area in your tank.

If algaes are growing on it (which could be attributed to low flow or that the zoas never really opened up again), I would use a baster or my fingers (that have no open wounds :D) to brush it off as the toothbrush might irritate them more.

i think its not because of the lights sir nor the water flow kase i am currently using 2 sunsun 12w. hehe i am thinking that excess nutrients(nitrate) is the leading cause of the brown algae forming on my zoas. thank you sir. for now il try to lower down the nitrates of my cousins tank. :D
oliverandvinih
reefphilippines member

Re: zoas?

Postby jay1287 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:44 pm

Mga bossing. Ask k lng po kung cno pwede magbenta sa akn ng zoa. Wala n k mabili sa cartimar eh. Ty po
jay1287
reefphilippines member

Return to LPS Keepers