[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - nano or not to nano?

nano or not to nano?

A forum for people interested in keeping nano tanks

nano or not to nano?

Postby JrM » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:41 am

hello RP, i have read a lot of posts regarding nano tanks.

it's harder to keep because of the small amount of water volume so the water parameters are more unpredictable. correct?

my question is how do we prevent these unpredictable scenarios?
or if it happens how do we fix them, what to watch out for? do's and don'ts, rule of thumb etc...

I already have a 45 gal fowlr tank 48" long x 12" wide x 20" high but instead of converting this to a reef tank.

i would like to try my hand at a 20 gal or 10 gal cube reef setup. beginners setup of course :)

i would like this to be a learning tank for me. i might be in a different place in a years time so its going to be difficult to move a big tank :)

thank you for reading.
JrM
reefphilippines member

Re: nano or not to nano?

Postby obet_carlos » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:48 am

having a nano is not that hard.. i had a 20g reef before.. however, coral procurement is a lot harder.. you need smaller frags.. and a small fist size coral like a cynarina can easily cover 1/4" of your real estate.. that was my problem with my 20g.. it was too small.. temp was regulated by a chiller.. salinity by ATO.. and only a few fishes..
obet_carlos
reefphilippines supporter

Postby JrM » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:05 am

thanks for the info, i agree with the real estate problem :) i would just have to find what works for a small tank. any suggestions? :)

re temp, would the diy fans suffice? and for the ATO could i just do that manually? i work from home so i can always be around to check up on things. few fishes is fine with me, i'm happy with a clown, fire fish and a shrimp :) the goal is to be able to learn as much as i can here.
JrM
reefphilippines member

Postby obet_carlos » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:32 am

what corals do you plan of placing? better to get 1" frags and letting them grow so as not to have a problem with real estate.. a fist size brain would be like adding another 1/4 of your current LR.

fans and normal top off would be ok.. however, as per people's experience here, during summer, if you dont have an airconditioned room, a chiller is a must.. and with fans, topping off would be more frequent.. plus more volume of water.. another problem would be your lights.. depending on the footprint of your tank, the size of your light fixture would be a problem.. for me, since i have DIY LEDs, it is much easier to do odd size tanks without worrying about choosing a lighting fixture for it..
obet_carlos
reefphilippines supporter

Postby JrM » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:46 am

anything that moves with the water would be nice. for the beginning i would just have to make due with diy fans and manual top off. yes i have thought about the lights, might just go with standard sizes so as not to have problems with acquiring equipment.
JrM
reefphilippines member

Postby JrM » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:11 am

quick question, let's say meron akong 20 gal DT, 20 gal sump, and another 20 gal. the 3rd tank would only be for volume, no sand, no live rocks, no lights. would this be ok so temp and water parameters would be stable?
JrM
reefphilippines member

Postby thurrmac » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:58 pm

thurrmac
reefphilippines member

Return to Nano Tanks