[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - Planning a Nano Reef

Planning a Nano Reef

A forum for people interested in keeping nano tanks

Planning a Nano Reef

Postby lance126 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:43 pm

Hi guys,

So as not to be tempted anymore to convert my existing FOWLR 170 gallons to a reef, I have decided to set-up a nano reef in my bedroom instead :)

I'm currently in the planning stages and I would like to hear comments and suggestions on ho to improve it.

I'm planning to use a 25 gallon aquarium 30(L)x12(W)x16(H)

I want it to have 16 inches in depth so I could place a 4 inch sand bed and still have 12 effective depth for the inhabitants.

Question 1: Is having a deep sand bed also good for nanos?

I'm planning to use either a 15 or 20 gallon as a sump tank.

I'm planning to move my Queen turbo skimmer once I replace it with a better skimmer in my 170G FOWLR.

Question 2: Is the Queen turbo skimmer good enough for a nano reef?

Question 3: I also have a fluval 304 canister filter could this help with my nano tank?

For Lighting I am considering T5's 2-24 watts ocean pro and 2-24 watts Blue pro.

Question 4: Is the lighting choice sufficient? Will four T5's fit in a 12 inch wide canopy?

As for the temps, since this is in my bedroom I plan to start the photoperiod at 8pm to 6am. I choose this time because this is the time were usually at ou bedroom and this is the time where we put on our aircon.

Question 5: Will the the aircondition room temps cause sudden drops of temp?

Those are my initial thoughts on this as of date, still thinking about getting a SCWD for this for circulation. What would be a good return pump for this by the way. I don't want to use power heads so I'm looking to use a close manifold setup again.

Thank you for your time and suggestions. God Bless 8)
lance126
reefphilippines member

Postby jolt26 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:51 am

Welcome to ReefPhilippines!

Hero of Rome

http://s1.gladiatus.ph/game/c.php?uid=18795
jolt26

Postby wax_static » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:56 am

100gal reef? w/ inline
and 75gal sump w/ plenum, , DIY Sulfur deni, Atman UV sterilizer

20gal reef w/ 15gal sump/fuge, skimmerless
wax_static
reefphilippines member

Postby audioactive08 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:59 pm

-Marty

To err is human, but to do the same error all over again is stupid.
If don't have patience for the hobby, it's better to quit.

Almost All-DIY 50g BB Mixed Reef, DIY Rocks / Plugs, Modded sunsun, Modded RO. 150w MH + Lumenarc.

Some fishes, Some SPS, Zoanthids and some other odds and ends.
audioactive08
reefphilippines member

Postby pugo1 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:03 pm

Q2: Is the Queen turbo skimmer good enough for a nano reef?

As for me, I suggest you get a very good skimmer unless you can do a bi-weekly water change.

Question 5: Will the the aircondition room temps cause sudden drops of temp?

Yup. Especially at night when the lights are off. Tried this before. Even used a heater to keep the temp to about 27-28*C.
pugo1
reefphilippines supporter

Postby lance126 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:50 pm

lance126
reefphilippines member

Re: Planning a Nano Reef

Postby nanokiper » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:44 pm

Question 1: Is having a deep sand bed also good for nanos?

I have 4 inches DS

I'm planning to use either a 15 or 20 gallon as a sump tank.

I'm planning to move my Queen turbo skimmer once I replace it with a better skimmer in my 170G FOWLR.

Question 2: Is the Queen turbo skimmer good enough for a nano reef?

Overskimming may be a problem. I'm using DIY countercurrent skimmer.

Question 3: I also have a fluval 304 canister filter could this help with my nano tank?

Canister is no good for salt water tank especially in reef tank. This is nitrate factory if you don't conduct good maintenance. Live rock and DSB are enough for the biological filtration.

For Lighting I am considering T5's 2-24 watts ocean pro and 2-24 watts Blue pro.

Question 4: Is the lighting choice sufficient? Will four T5's fit in a 12 inch wide canopy?

Depends on coral you intend to keep. If it isactino or LPS, okay na yong NO flourescent lamp. But you must comply the wattage per gallon requiremnt. T5 is better but I am not sure if there is 12 inches T5, better ask pugo1.

As for the temps, since this is in my bedroom I plan to start the photoperiod at 8pm to 6am. I choose this time because this is the time were usually at ou bedroom and this is the time where we put on our aircon.

Question 5: Will the the aircondition room temps cause sudden drops of temp? ]

Yes, there will be temp swing, I encourage not to use sump so that you can use a low capacity thermoelectric chiller for 15 to 25 gallon tank. I don't use chiller in my tank, eveaporative cooling since it is located in the living room. Chiller is available in Qmart pet shop.

Those are my initial thoughts on this as of date, still thinking about getting a SCWD for this for circulation. What would be a good return pump for this by the way. I don't want to use power heads so I'm looking to use a close manifold setup again.

Thank you for your time and suggestions. God Bless 8)[/quote]
nanokiper

Postby pugo1 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:57 pm

pugo1

Return to Nano Tanks