[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - How much do I need for this hobby?

How much do I need for this hobby?

Offer your help, ask questions, share ideas, & just have fun!

How much do I need for this hobby?

Postby freeman » Sun May 25, 2014 11:31 pm

Hi. I've been wanting to be in this hobby but time and money served as hindrance back then. I guess now is the right time to start.

Called a while ago a local supplier of salt water tanks and offered me a complete setup of 50g tank worth Php 170,000.00. Is it really that expensive? I've kept arowanas and flowerhorns before and I can say that with that amount, I can have one of the most expensive type of both aros and flowerhorns (though I know we cannot compare them. just saying :D ). I know there must be a way I can start with this hobby without spending that much. To be honest, I'm just looking at a 10-15k budget. How big or small can I go with that amount? the lower the better. I've always wanted a reef tank. at least 35g will do, if that's possible with the amount I just mentioned. Thanks in advance for the replies.
freeman
reefphilippines member

Re: How much do I need for this hobby?

Postby loidimi » Mon May 26, 2014 7:33 am

Pede talaga umabot sa ganyan amount pero very very high end equipments na yan para sa 50gal. Pero parang sobrang mahal yung 170k hehe 100k siguro pede pa kung magaganda gamit.
loidimi
reefphilippines member

Postby potring » Mon May 26, 2014 9:39 am

If your going for a 35g reef tank as in reef like corals and fishes 15k will not be enough bro,

You must have good lighting for your corals
DIY will cost you around 5 to 6k, while the branded one's 20k to 40k

Skimmer around 10k

Chiller 14k to 16k
equipments palang yan wala pang saltmix and other things needed hehe

These 3 are the basic things you'll be needing when you go reefing, but along the way you'll be needing a lot more like reactors, filter medias and the stuff. So i guess your 15k budget will not fit, just an opinion!
Btw those are just an estimate cost to give you an idea for initial costing, and it'll really depends on what Or which do you prefer to buy and use HTH

Again you can also go for the diy routes. But i doubt na magkasya yung 15k budget mo. There's a lot of members here in rp are diy'ers you can ask for their help or assitance like bro marty aka "seth" calling seth hahaha :mrgreen:
potring
reefphilippines member

Postby seth » Mon May 26, 2014 11:06 am

Agree with bro pot, 15k can get you started. But that's the easy part. Upkeep can make a large dent on your budget if you would aim for the midrange/highend route. Even DIY can be costly. :)

reefphilippines.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=17309
Cheers,
Marty

seth
reefphilippines member

Postby freeman » Mon May 26, 2014 1:00 pm

freeman
reefphilippines member

Postby seth » Mon May 26, 2014 1:32 pm

15k would be enough to get you started, may pambili ka pa ng decent testkits at iba pang kailangan.

Just to add, don't skimp on the tank stand and the saltmix (should you decide to use one instead of NSW) Lalo talaga sa stand. kasi mahirap nang palitan ang stand kapag buo na at established na yung system. Di bale na diyan ka mag-"overkill", at least makakatulog ka ng maayos at di ka matatakot na baka magiba yung tank pag nabangga or lumindol. Speaking from experience yan hehehe

No worries bro, pinost ko lang din yang link for reference. Baka makakuha ka pa ng ideas dyan. :)

Pwede namang mas mababa pa sa 15k ang gastusin mo actually. Nung ginawa ko yung 30g cube halos wala akong gastos kasi recycled lahat. :lol: Pero pag mas malaki ang initial budget mo, less hassle iyon.

May balak ka na bang system? For example FO/FOWLR or soft coral dominated tank?
Cheers,
Marty

seth
reefphilippines member

Postby freeman » Mon May 26, 2014 4:07 pm

thanks again bro.

if you'd allow me to deviate from this thread, can you recommend a place here in makati or taguig where I can buy all the equipment? Would prefer a place where there is someone who can educate me further on this hobby. Di pa naman ako nagmamadali bumili. I'm just excited to do something that actually shows I'm starting with this hobby.

salamat po ulit. :D
freeman
reefphilippines member

Postby seth » Tue May 27, 2014 7:19 am

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any other sources of saltwater equipments/supplies except our sponsors and Catimar. :(

Your choices are rather limited here, and most stalls in Cartimar are well, outdated to say the very least.

Aquariatech would be the nearest, I think. He is located in Pasig. Fevmarine is in Cubao while aquareef is in Manila/Caloocan.
Cheers,
Marty

seth
reefphilippines member

Postby potring » Tue May 27, 2014 9:50 am

Actually bro you can educate yourself through lot's of reading here in rp and in any other sites. A good start would be reading the link given by seth in his signature down below his post. And if you have queries or anyhting feel free to ask questions I'm sure who ever reads it it'll be answered. Re one stop shop and learn almost all the sponsors here will gladly assist you and educate you on how and what to do in this hobby. Especially "seth" he'll teach you a lot and his nice and a good teacher di ba seth hahaha :mrgreen: HTH
potring
reefphilippines member

Postby mindfreak » Tue May 27, 2014 10:31 am

With Gratitude,

- Everything is relative in this hobby.
What works for me may not work for you.
mindfreak
reefphilippines member

Postby freeman » Tue May 27, 2014 12:41 pm

thanks again for the replies. nagbabasa rin ako kaso minsan kasi, di ko makita hinahanap ko. kaya siguro tinatamad ako minsan. hehe. sorry. halos buong araw kasi, nagreresearch at nagbabasa na ako sa trabaho. eh baka manlabo na mata ko kakabasa. :lol: natatakot ako.

kung dadahandahanin ko pagbili ng equipment, ano ba dapat ko iprioritize sa pagbili?

baka po meron pwede mag volunteer jan na pwede magturo sakin. Parang private tutor lang. pero ang pinagkaiba, libre. hehehe. Salamat po ulit.
freeman
reefphilippines member

Postby mindfreak » Tue May 27, 2014 1:39 pm

i can gladly assist you as long as the schedule permits. FOR FREE :lol: usually every weekend nagkikita kita kami ng ibang reefers (either sa carti or at house of other reefer) just to have some catching up or doing some crazy DIY stuffs. hehe..

i would not claim as master or guru in this hobby cause up until now madami pa din ako natutunan from my co-reefer but i think i can explain the basic things in SW starting from cycling and basic equipments that is necessary to this hobby.

if you had other queries then don't hesitate to post it here. lot of members here are knowledgeable enough to answer it and give you advice. kahit hindi na in person madami ka pa din matutunan. :)
With Gratitude,

- Everything is relative in this hobby.
What works for me may not work for you.
mindfreak
reefphilippines member

Postby juliusgiron » Tue May 27, 2014 2:43 pm

rough estimation kung san makakaabot ang 15k mo bro

2x 35 gallons na aquarium + stand = 3,000
base sa olx.ph (yesss yaman!) pero check the for sale thread baka may 2nd hand equips jan na mas mura or pa estimate ka sa glassmaker malapit sa inyo. Sa stand naman ganun din paestimate ka malapit sa inyo para less hassle sa byahe or kung tiga makati ka punta ka sa hardware ni POTRING hinge ka ng discount haha!

http://www.olx.ph/index.php/view+classi ... tion,1-9,9

Sand + live rocks = 1,000 ( palagay lang to medyo nakalimutan ko na yung presyuhan sa carti eh
Or check mo din baka may mga for adoption or extra rocks and ibang reefers jan.

NSW or saltmix = 2,000 (rough estimate lang ulit ah)
ang blue treasure ata nasa 800 per bag and thats for 50g already if i'm not mistaken. Check mo yung GoDeals sa sponsor section.

Return pump (RIO) = 2,000 or Jebao dc pump3000 = 3,000 i'm not sure ulit sa pricing ask aquareef or fevmarine

Reef master test kit = 1,210
http://fevmarine.com/product_info.php?products_id=72

Wavemaker = 1,000 (baka 2 na mabili mo dito and baka sobrang lakas pa rough estimation lang naman)

Hose, pvc pipes and fittings = 500 (depende na lang yan sa layo or haba)
Sa ace hardware mahal kaya kung tiga Makati ka punta ka kay POTRING haha or sa hardware malapit sa inyo.

Then pwede ka na mag cycle 2-4-6-8 months depende sa trip mo mas matagal na cycling mas stable na tank :) after mo mag cycle may pera ka na ulit

3,000 - 2 tanks + stand
1,000 - live sand, live rocks
2,000 - saltmix or NSW
3,000 - return pump
1,210 - test kit
1,000 - wavemaker
500 - hose, pvc pipes and fittings

11,710 - total

IME madaming unseen expenses for example yung sa stand kailangan ireinforce or idouble coating ng mga turco at kung ano ano pa. extension wires, cable ties, sapin sa aquarium (styro,marine plyboard etc.)

since 15k ang startup budget mo sakto yan mag cycle ka na lang ng matagal para makaipon ka pa ng budget for the next equipments.

Baka may mga kulang pa ko jan at yung prices nyan eh plus/minus. :)
juliusgiron
reefphilippines member

Postby VOYAGER » Tue May 27, 2014 3:22 pm

imho instead na 35 gals much better 50 gals na kasi maliit na ang price diffference ng 35 and 50 gals...so 50 gals ang display tank and 20 gals sump...and dont forget ONE of the most important equipment "PROTEIN SKIMMER"...dont skimp on this equipment...hth
JEBAO 6000 return pump
RO BP reactor BR-110 (Bio Pellets)
RO ATO
RO MF-300B reactor (GFO)
3 x Evergrow IT2060 Led Fixture
4 x JEBAO WP40 /RW15 sync by HYDOR SMARTWAVE
VOYAGER
reefphilippines member

Postby seth » Tue May 27, 2014 5:06 pm

+1 on voyager's tip. If you're gonna spend good money on a skimmer, might as well get the best you could. At least alam mong proven and reliable. Sayang naman kung bumili ka ng mediocre skimmer tapos hindi rin mapagana ng maayos. Halos doble gastos yun. :)

Yan si Arnold, sakto marami makakapagturo sayo sa South area. Gustuhin ko man turuan ka sobrang layo ng area ko. :lol:

Again, don't skimp on the water itself (get the most reliable brand of salt you can afford) the tank (don't get an old one, you may still have to reseal it even if it doesn't leak.)stand and skimmer. Sa ilaw marami ka naman nang options at mahaba pa ang time mo para pagisipan yan.
Cheers,
Marty

seth
reefphilippines member

Next

Return to General Discussion