[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - Fish Bath Question

Fish Bath Question

Is your fish acting strange or look different? It might be sick.

Fish Bath Question

Postby robertjamesgallardo » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:02 pm

I purchased 6 clowns and a tang... 5 of the clowns died... all parameters and other fishes are okay, it's like i can't keep clown fishes because of this brooklynella infestation. while i was trying to find the remedy, i didn't know that you can actually dip the fishes into freshwater prior to introducing them to your water parameters.
my questions are as follows:
(am trying to search for first aid treatments in case it's an emergency and you have no medications available)
1. how to do the freshwater bath? they say 5 mins, others say 30mins. in case methylene blue or malachite green is available, you can add it up to the prepared freshwater bath (check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21FFOXcR ... re=related)
2. how to get the fish back to your parameters? isn't it stressful to the fish placing her back to the salt? or do i do this gradually?
3. they say hyposaline can be the first aid in case the symptoms do not appear yet, and they say increase in salinity is very stressful to the fish, in case this is correct how do other gain success in freshwater dipping?

...it's pretty odd to find out possible cure and success from people doing this alternative remedy, but few of them give you the "how to's":
ya fresh dip your tang...
okay... so how do i do it...???
zzzzz.....
:x

thanks in advance
15g DT
Skimmer
1 Fixture AquaOne Led with moonlight
Started 7 Jan 2011, cycle ended 29 Jan 2011
mixed reef nano tank
robertjamesgallardo
reefphilippines member

Re: Fish Bath Question

Postby jazz0821 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:20 pm

Nagkaganyan din yun 1st pair of false perc ko, I tried the fresh water dip tsaka un garlic feeding pero hindi umeffect, ginawa ko Hindi nalang muna ako naglagay ng perc for 1 and a half month, then ok na hehe ot ata share ko lang experience ko :)
cheers! :)
jazz0821
reefphilippines member

Postby CarloV » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:39 pm

Freshwater dip is unproven to be effective, pero it supposedly cures the fish of ich. Ang alam ko lang ich, not sure about other diseases.

Ang ginagawa ko dati, kuha lang ako ng maliit na bucket. Lagay ako onting freshwater. Just enough para makalangoy yung isda. Check if same yung temp and PH. If okay na, kuha ako timer, tapos 5-10mins. Depende sa isda. Kailangan mo sila observe mabuti if sobrang stressed na sila. Minsan magpapatay-patayan din sila, pero ang totoo nagpapanggap lang sila. After ng 5-10mins, balik na agad sa DT. Anyway, supposedly mamamatay yung ich parasite. Tapos pagbalik sa display tank, okay na dapat. Pero ang mapapatay nya lang is yung mga naka-expose na ata na ich.

Pero in my personal experience, wala siya masyado natutulong. Mas nasstress lang yung isda kasi kailangan ko pa siya hulihin tapos kailangan ko pa siyang guluhin. Hindi naman natatanggal yung ich completely, mas stinress ko lang siya.
| |
--

My Tank:
CarloV
reefphilippines member

Postby robertjamesgallardo » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:58 am

thanks guys... any inputs from other reefers are still appreciated... :)

anyway... freshwater dipping may have benefits... am just so dying to have clownfishes and eventually breed them... and none of them survived their journey on their way to my tank. and all have the same problem... brooklies!!!

in my further research, and as i place the pieces of the puzzle in it's place, lots and lots of questions have overwhelmed me and now are kinda seeking some answers. (this hobby is supposed to be stress free :)) like: should you use dead rock instead of live to make the environment pest free/or dip live rocks first with freshwater; do fishes suffer kidney disease associated with long term exposure to hyposalinity; do fishes get more stressed after a freshwater bath since adjustment from no/less salt to a salty environment can cause osmotic shock.

hayyy... I LOVE THIS HOBBY!!!

guys.... hope you could inform me proper ways of keeping a tank free from parasites and any other pests... what are your step by step procedure in case of a pest outbreak and other topics such as the controversial fresh water bath? i have developed a plan (and questions) and i have no idea if this works:
step 1.> transport
step 2.> acclimate
step 3.> quarantine
step 4.> hyposaline and wait for 6 weeks
step 5.> water changes (from the tank plus fresh water to get to the right specific gravity of the hyposaline QT)
step 6.> in case of a disease, how do i cure the fish? do i dip it first in freshwater and see what happens in a day or two? well, if it didn't work then i'll proceed with medications say formaldehyde (brooklynella fro instance)
step 7.> should the quarantine tank be under medication or do i mix it into a separate container with the formalin sol'n for freshwater bath? or mix the formalin with a hyposaline soln same as with the QT and rinse the fish with hyposaline water then back to the QT? (i have read that hyposalinity will not eradicate the protozoans responsible for Brooklynella but it helps detach itself from its host/s)
step 8.> if the medication is done outside the QT, how often should i repeat the dipping (either in a freshwater solution or a hyposaline solution)? and should the dosage be the same even if the fish is getting okay? or if i don't see any improvement, should i increase the dosage or remain it to it's original dosage but doing it often? and in case the solution is within the quarantine tank, how often and how much do i dose the formalin into the QT?
step 9.> if the fish has fully recovered, should i get one fish from the tank (say a domino damsel) and introduce it first with the fish in the QT to see if there will be aggression between the two? (I've read this somewhere on the internet, he does this and most likely, the fish in the display tank that has been moved to the quarantine gets bullied.)
:)

thanks for the time reading this topic
thanks for the answers
and thanks in advance
15g DT
Skimmer
mixed reef nano tank
robertjamesgallardo
reefphilippines member

Postby robertjamesgallardo » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:40 pm

15g DT
Skimmer
mixed reef nano tank
robertjamesgallardo
reefphilippines member

Postby pepperghost » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:17 pm

in my experience if you get unhealthy ones they will surely die... me i went for a friend at carti.. she told me that she has percs that are good quality unlike the stuff that she usually sells which are rejects... so i bought a pair.. and theyre still alive for 2 months now... eating well also... minsan yung fish na mismo may problem eh overstressed sila
75 Gallons
DSB, ATS, Mangrove
Buying Chaeto PM me if you have some to spare! need it badly! and urgent...
pepperghost
reefphilippines member

Return to Disease Treatment