[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - White stringy feces

White stringy feces

Is your fish acting strange or look different? It might be sick.

White stringy feces

Postby ruth27 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:48 pm

I have recently bought a few fishes and started to quarantine them in a 50gal tank. They have been on hyposalinity for 3 weeks now and have not shown any signs of ich. I bought a total of 10 fishes: 2 batfish, 4 anthias, 1 niger trigger, 2 hogfish, and 1 bicolor clown. On the first week, I lost the hogfish and clown...I noticed red bruises on them. But after that, I've not lost any. All seem to be thriving and eating well. But what worries me is my batfish and anthias have been getting white stringy stool. Is this contagious to the other fishes? What medication can I give for this?

I recently tested the water and found out my nitrates were 80! I do not have skimmer on my QT...just the regular foam filter (dont know what you call that). So this morning, I did a 30% water change and squeezed that foam of all the dirt it had. That foam came from my main tank since I wanted the established good bacteria to go to my QT. Tama ba yon? Also, once I'm done with the quarantine period, di ko na pwedeng ibalik yun foam na yon sa DT right? So do I just leave that to dry up, and use it when I need to quarantine again? Will the good bacteria in that foam survive on air? (geeez...why do I have a feeling super stupid yun question ko na 'to?! But have to ask talaga...newbie ignorance, pasensya na talaga).

Given they don't have ich but have been showing intestinal parasites (evidenced by stringy poop), how long must I quarantine them? They're on their 3rd week on QT. Thanks!!!!
ruth27
reefphilippines member

Re: White stringy feces

Postby Xjers » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:04 pm

Your QT tank must undergo proper cycle period also and you really need a skimmer, wala po ma itutulong yung foam filter...

nun bago rin ako yung QT ko hindi rin na cycle properly so 1 fish lng na buhay out of 5. Buy ka na lng skimmer ok na yung Queen Turbo Skimmer around 800-1k ata sa cartimar.
Xjers
reefphilippines member

Postby ruth27 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:36 pm

Ah, ganon ba? Even for a QT, kailangan pa pala ng skimmer? I thought kasi since short time lang naman ang stay ng fishes don, pwede nang walang skimmer..and daanan nalang ng regular water changes.

Sir, would you know proper medication for stringy feces? I read intestinal parasites yon...am I right? Everyday as I clean the QT, I net alot of stringy stool sa floor. So I'm guessing around 3 of them are suffering from this. Thanks!
ruth27
reefphilippines member

Postby Xjers » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:44 pm

Xjers
reefphilippines member

Postby ruth27 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:50 pm

Thank you so much! You've been very helpful.

Would anyone there have any experience with stringy stool? What medication can I give and where can I get the meds? Thanks in advance!
ruth27
reefphilippines member

Postby happydevas » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:18 pm

I would say see a doctor for further evaluation. Testing the stool for parasitic infection - and bacteria - which can be done. You can also consider a lower endoscopy - such as a flexible sigmoidoscopy - evaluate for inflammatory Crohn's and Colitis Ulcerative colitis bowel disease.
happydevas
reefphilippines member

Postby akkaiberry » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:02 am

Consulting an Expert is needed. If it is just constipation it will pass. You may wish to skip a feeding or two to let it clear out. Chances are there may be more than one fish with this problem, you just have not seen it.
|
akkaiberry
reefphilippines member

Return to Disease Treatment