hyposalinity aftermath

Is your fish acting strange or look different? It might be sick.

hyposalinity aftermath

Postby Carrot » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:17 pm

hi fellow reefers,

after my disaster with bad top off water comes ich infestation. siguro dahil na din dun kaya nainfect yung isda ko. hypo is my choice of cure and currently on its second day. after reading enough information about its lifecyle im a bit confuse because some say its 14days others 28days this is during its tomont stage. i need to know so that there will be zero sign ich in my DT before i transfer my precious fish.

thanks rp!
Carrot
reefphilippines member

Re: hyposalinity aftermath

Postby Menthol » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:00 pm

a WHOLE month. make sure you are treating your temporary holding tank with copper (fish only) or something too. This is just based on what i have extensively read in the past.

IME, ICH will not gain a foothold inside a stable and top quality water. Fishes, IME, can resist ich naturally through their slime coat. If your water quality is bad, a fish's slime coat will cease&desist as it will be stressed and that will be primetime for ich to setup camp on their skin.
Menthol
reefphilippines member

Postby ryanuy » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:41 pm

i agree with menthol. my purple tang had ich for about a week and after feeding it more heavily, it just went away. ich is very hard to keep out of a reef tank.

if your running a fowler or if your fish are in quarantine, you can do the hyposalinity thing(for at least a month to completely get rid of it) or just add copper and forget all about the ich!
ryanuy
reefphilippines member

Postby Carrot » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:37 am

thanks menthol and ryan!
i'm a bit hesitant in trying copper since i havent had enough info on such treatment. i've tried dipping pellets with metronidazole together with garlic and it did stop some but not all of the ich hence the hypo treatment. Should i continue with metronidazole dip?
can you suggest any aftermarket copper medication i should use?
its probably due to bad water quality.
Carrot
reefphilippines member

Postby ryanuy » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:49 am

seachem i think has an okay copper treatment so you could check marine hub or aquaria manila. im sure the bottles they sell have instructions on the back on how to use them. if you dont have corals in your tank, you should run copper there permanently or if not at least long term i think. it kills most if not all the parasites and most exporters actually use copper in their tanks permanently to avoid diseases.

ive talked to a lot of other reefers and IMO garlic doesnt work and will actually be bad for your fish in the long run. I havent tried the metronidazole treatment so im not sure if its going to work. i beat my ich by simply feeding the fish more and fixing up the water quality with water changes and it will go away on its own since the fishes immune system will overcome it after a while. i understand where you are coming from though, when i saw my fish had ich, i freaked out. haha
ryanuy
reefphilippines member

Return to Disease Treatment