question about corals

Discuss the requirements and care of all types of corals.

question about corals

Postby Liowping » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:59 pm

question about corals
kapag may damage na po ba yung brain, chalice corals(bleached)
malabo na po ba nabuhay sa tank?
Liowping
reefphilippines member

Re: question about corals

Postby ryanuy » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:04 pm

nope. they are still okay IMO. i have a brain coral i got from grahf11 for free because half of it was bleached and after a month it was back to its old self again. it just depends on your system and how you take care of the corals.
ryanuy
reefphilippines member

Postby obet_carlos » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:46 am

IME, most corals can recover if you have a good system.. especially LPS..
obet_carlos
reefphilippines supporter

Postby robertjamesgallardo » Wed May 04, 2011 8:49 pm

good day...
similar to the query, my brain died... nung nabili ko po kasi may damage na (sa pagkakabalot siguro) kasi when i first saw it in the lfs okay naman, then pag lublob ko sa water, yung flesh niya sa may bandang gilid di pala okay (i mean exposed na yung skeleton niya). then after a week (yesterday actually) it eventually died, raising my ammonia and nitrite. and my torch also is dying (Prior to the ammonia spike and the nitrite that was caused by the dying brain) haaayyyy.... isama pa init ng panahon... (did a major water change kanina about 25%)
i do not know what caused the torch to die. one polyp died, and the next is the brain (that i thought will eventually recover kasi hammer recovered nung nabili kong natutunaw na yung isang polyp) and next is another torch polyp died, and now, hammer is showing signs of brown jelly (i think) disease.
my theory is there might be too many bacteria or protozoan in my water that caused the brown jelly disease. and also i see brown algae or something creeping from the bottom of the coral's skeleton and papalapit nang papalapit sa flesh each day...
my gonio is not happy din because of the ammonia and nitrite, my elegance is healthy pa naman. uhm... bubble died na din pala kasabay ng brain. :'( my theory again is that it's kinda like a domino effect, that started from the torch and the brain. sabay ko po kasi sila binili. and napansin ko po na tinutubuan na ng algae yung skeleton ng namatay na polyp.

ano po ang gagawin ko?
balak ko po sana bumili ng uv sterilizer, to kill free floating bacteria and the protozoans.
or is there another way na parang first aid to help these creatures.

(uhm... share ko lang din po, may nabasa po kasi ako na way para matulungan yung coral na may brown jelly. ilulublob sa fresh water to kill the protozoans... though it will cause stress to the diseased coral, you might still want to help it recover. then let the coral retract into its skeleton first, then pag puro skeleton nalang, 5mins daw na freshwater bath, then konting shake at the 4th minute then ilagay na sa saltwater preferrably yung water na pinanggalingan ng coral. you will see it na parang nag eexpel ng cloudy something. uhm... i did this to my torch, hindi na talaga nahabol yung dying polyp, pero yung mga katabi that were showing signs of stress, are now okay (so far))

it's like the problems with my tank are like two stones hitting me... nilalagnat pa ako... :'(

am sending my thank you's to the people who are still helping me/us about our reefing... reefing is fun, but i don't want this problem to exist again.
15g DT
Skimmer
1 Fixture AquaOne Led with moonlight
Started 7 Jan 2011, cycle ended 29 Jan 2011
mixed reef nano tank
robertjamesgallardo
reefphilippines member

Return to Coral Forum