[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - pvc pipe overflow.. alá spy_i (visually aided)

pvc pipe overflow.. alá spy_i (visually aided)

A forum for all those projects you want to build on your own

pvc pipe overflow.. alá spy_i (visually aided)

Postby spy_i » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:16 am

Last edited by spy_i on Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
spy_i
reefphilippines member

Postby lombard0 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:36 am

Last edited by lombard0 on Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lombard0
reefphilippines member

Postby spy_i » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:08 pm

to start the diy, get your materials ready:

1. pvc pipes obviously, one bigger than the other.
2. 5pcs elbow thats fits the smaller pvc
3. 1 end cap for each size
4. coupling for the bigger size pvc
5. reducer

tools:

1. all purpose rotary tool
2. hack saw
3. pvc pipe cutter

miscellaneous:

1. pvc glue
2. dremel bits
3. sandpaper
4. marking pens
5. camera to document
6. measuring tape
Last edited by spy_i on Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spy_i
reefphilippines member

Postby spy_i » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:11 pm

materials in pix:

Image[/img]
Last edited by spy_i on Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
spy_i
reefphilippines member

Postby spy_i » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:37 pm

starting the overflow:

measure and cut the pipes in the desired length. the longer the pipes the faster the flow...

Cut, short lenghts of the pvc which will be enought to hold both elbows then start gluing the elbows together.

looks like these:

spy_i
reefphilippines member

Postby spy_i » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:47 pm

in the mean time while waiting for the cement to set... remeasure the lenghts of the pipes to make sure you got the right lenghts.... there's no room for mistake here or else you need the buy new sets of elbows and pipes... LOLZ!!

then start with the skimmer:

I measured the bigger pvc where the tip should level with the desired water level in the tank.. coz i don't want to see the water level below the glass rim.

cut the bigger pvc and install the end cap. After getting it fixed. lets start the teeth of the overflow skimmer.

using the reducer,

the one on the left...coupling is the one on the right.
spy_i
reefphilippines member

Postby spy_i » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:52 pm

time for the hacksaw to be use... mark the reducer where you want for the teeth and use saw it one by one:

spy_i
reefphilippines member

Postby spy_i » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:55 pm

then rotary tool:

which you will end up having this:

clean the edges with rotary tool using the sander bit.

Last edited by spy_i on Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
spy_i
reefphilippines member

Postby spy_i » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:26 pm

also don't forget to widen the hole of the reducer to allow the smaller pvc to pass through but should be fit enough to hold it..

now, try fitting the reducer to your coupling and glue it in place.

or if you don't want the coupling you can do this. Just glue the reducer to the pvc... But i opted for the coupling so you can remove it for servicing.
Last edited by spy_i on Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spy_i
reefphilippines member

Postby spy_i » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:37 pm

glued: but not the coupling and the pvc pipe. just the coupling and the moded reducer.

spy_i
reefphilippines member

Postby spy_i » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:48 pm

so the overflow skimmer is now ready....

[/img]
spy_i
reefphilippines member

Postby spy_i » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:03 pm

spy_i
reefphilippines member

Postby spy_i » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:06 pm

with the overflow skimmer

spy_i
reefphilippines member

Postby spy_i » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:35 pm

now the finish product: note the union valve for easy servicing. And don't forget to drill a hole on the end cap of the priming tube to stop the gurgling noise.

i'm a pm away if you have question.

:idea: :idea: :idea:
spy_i
reefphilippines member

Postby lombard0 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:38 pm

Last edited by lombard0 on Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lombard0
reefphilippines member

Next

Return to Do It Your Self