[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - The more you learn the less you know

The more you learn the less you know

A place where you can discuss anything, its your call

The more you learn the less you know

Postby yose_ » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:49 am

This statement is a good way to get people to think back at what they've learned in their own lives. Just think, as a 5 year old child, you thought you knew 95% of everything you needed to get by in the world. Then you go to school and with each passing year you find out a tiny but about a lot of things! You realize that there is so much that you don't know. From a society standpoint, people with little or no education are usually very sure of what they "know". Whereas, people of higher education are often heard saying that they aren't so bright. An educated person gets an immersion into many more topics than most others, and with each new topic they realize that there is so much more that they can/will never know. The undereducated person rarely ventures into new areas so they become experts in what little they do know and this gives them a false feeling of knowing more than others. These undereducated types usually "know" that there are ghosts, Spacemen, Bigfoot, and so on. And when you hear them speaking of such things they will be heard calling educated people idiots because they don't believe the same things they themselves believe in. So the reverse of the statement serves as a "proof"..The less you learn, the more you "know". (Gunslinger)

That's the story behind my signature. What's yours? :roll:
The more you learn, the more you realize how much you don't know.
yose_
reefphilippines member

Re: The more you learn the less you know

Postby seth » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:13 am

True, if there's anything I've learned from this hobby, I think that's that. Even after a decade of keeping a marine tank, I know that I still have much to learn,.after all , the hobby is dynamic and ever changing.

Sig ko puro reference sites lol :lol: a little way of helping others and encouraging them to read and read even more, and become a wise consumer of information.

one thing more to remember, especially for new comers, is the hobby is not a religion so don't treat it as such. Don't blindly believe sweeping statements instead practice a healthy dose of skepticism and take everything with a grain of (iodized) salt. hehehe

That's the last part of my sig, "follow the advice you need to know, not the one you want to hear". :)
Cheers,
Marty

seth
reefphilippines member

Postby calvin_91993 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:16 pm

My sig? Not much, just a link of my tank thread.

But it shows my documentation of most, if not all, of the things I've been through, my progressions, downfalls, as well as my "bounce-backs".

The thread started December 27, 2012, and although it's not the official date my tank has started, it was the time I was happy and proud enough of what I have done to share it to our small community, to be able to share my experiences, without fear of criticism and being "seen-zoned". I guess I am just really open to learn more.

BTW, the thread title is quite interesting as it says a lot. I agree with what you're pointing out bro yose_, but I personally wouldn't use the term educated (being usually associated with formal education), as I, a Pre-School, Elementary, High School and College graduate am more educated than most individuals I know who have gone a long way, including my parents who merely finished high school. These are the people who have gone through a lot in their lives, where they learned so much to get to where they are now, and probably only a very small percentage of what they have learned was from their formal education, so to speak.

So for me, it's not whether we are educated or uneducated, it is if we are open-minded and willing to learn.
calvin_91993
reefphilippines member

Postby alvinbam2728 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:20 pm

LOL. Apir Calvin!
"its not how long you've in the hobby, it's how much you've learned..."
alvinbam2728
reefphilippines member

Postby seth » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:37 pm

True dat Calvin. I used to teach out of school teens and highschool grads during my stint at a TESDA affiliated school. (Barista/Bartending) Heck, I have even taught professionals that have higher degrees and far more experience than I have.

If I would generalize as well, more often than not, it's the people that have more formal education that has more bullsyet than the ones that don't have a degree (I flunked one smartass student because she was so "educated", hindi ko na siya maturuan ng new ideas in short feeling guru na haha). I have lots of friends and aquaintances that did not even finish HS, but are far more wiser, intelligent and perceptive than I am. And they are far more skilled in their crafts than anyone I could think of.

Trust me on this, the intelligence or merit of a person is not measured on degrees or diplomas but through his experience and his actions. Common sense also count. Haha
Cheers,
Marty

seth
reefphilippines member

Postby yose_ » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:43 am

yose_
reefphilippines member

Postby yose_ » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:14 pm

yose_
reefphilippines member

Postby seth » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:26 pm

Tumpak brader! :lol:
Cheers,
Marty

seth
reefphilippines member

Postby Sea Turtle » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:37 pm

Sea Turtle
reefphilippines member

Postby calvin_91993 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:35 pm

calvin_91993
reefphilippines member

Postby SantaMonicaHelp » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:06 am

Thanks for the lesson everybody. Great read 8)
My name is ??
SantaMonicaHelp
reefphilippines member

Postby obet_carlos » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:10 pm

akala ko magbebenta ka ng educational plan or something.. hehehe!
obet_carlos
reefphilippines supporter

Postby marvinpb » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:56 pm

up! great read
180g mixed reef tank, 70g sump

marvinpb
reefphilippines member

Postby marvinpb » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:00 pm

learning starts the day you were born and should end the day you die.

you earn based on what you learn.
180g mixed reef tank, 70g sump

marvinpb
reefphilippines member

Postby Luciad60 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:09 am

Luciad60
reefphilippines member

Return to The Lounge