[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - SPS bubble disease

SPS bubble disease

A forum for people who are obsessed with keeping SPS corals.

SPS bubble disease

Postby obet_carlos » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:36 am

has anyone experienced this disease? dont know what i did.. maybe kalk?
this is not my coral, but it looks pretty much the same..
it affected all my sps; acro, birdsnest, stoly, poci, etc.. my blastos and SC are not opening as normal as before.. my zoas, acans, inverts, and fishes are ok..
obet_carlos
reefphilippines supporter

Re: SPS bubble disease

Postby ryanuy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:05 am

weird! thats the first time ive ever seen anything like that on sps. i did a bit of research and water changes and stability on your parameters would fix it daw. some people posted that its normal daw for their sps to do that so im not really sure what to believe!
ryanuy
reefphilippines member

Postby obet_carlos » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:22 am

its something new but it led to some STN..
here's what i suspect caused this:
1. addition of a kalk reactor.. i dont know if its the kalk (it is an old stock), or the Ca, or the depletion of other parameters like KH..
when i added the kalk reactor, the growth of the sps increased tremendously (for a few weeks).. then the sps, specially the acros started to have some blisters with some polyp recession..
when i checked KH it was about 6.. and pH was 8.2-8.4.. nitrates and phosphates are almost 0..
2. vodka overdose
3. Mg depletion.. since the growth increased, i dont know if Mg was low since i dont have any test kits..

btw, medyo yung zoas ko, d bumuka for a while nung malala yung bubbling.. then, after a 5g WC, ok na after a day or two.. yung xenia ko nga malakas mag pulse, i have a lot of pods, .. so i dont think its water quality..
obet_carlos

Postby kuza » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:45 am

kuza
reefphilippines member

Postby obet_carlos » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:13 pm

its coral neoplasia.. i think.. a quote from the article :
"The exact cause of this condition is unknown but is thought to be a genetic mutation that may be the result of environmental conditions. Please see the above link for more information. "

the link referred above is not there anymore..
obet_carlos

Postby random » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:33 pm

Hindi ba it's more like the following?

Coral Tissue Bubbles: At times, a coral may exhibit what appears to be bubble shaped voids under the corals tissue, its usually a damage induced reproductive strategy that (may) lead to a polyp bailout. It can simply be caused by stress (as with light shock from a change of lamps, increase in light, sudden use of carbon or water changes that drastically clarifies water, etc)... or it can be stimulated by a burn from another attacking coral.

Also quoted from the linked site.
Some guy from FB: "Technically, the Jellyfish isn't a fish. It isn't technically jelly either. So, everything I was made to believe in is a LIE!"
random
reefphilippines member

Postby obet_carlos » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:33 pm

maybe sir.. pero its not caused by light shock, or sudden use of carbon.. its not a coral burn since marami..
obet_carlos

Postby iricchua » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:32 pm

sir, ako din nagka mass RTN but peeling lang at hindi bubble form... i had added some new corals that had the beginnings of stn and it affected my whole tank after a few hours... i suspect na nakakahawa ang sps necrosis... kasi all my healthy older sps were affected... tapos skimmer is off pa. The dying sps must have altered water chemistry or sent chemicals through the water so i had to add carbon in case something in the water were causing the stn on older corals. Half of 4 new sps colonies died but 2 is better than none, necrosis of the other older sps also stopped after that... i opened my skimmer for two days just to filter out any dead sps matter that has spread across my whole system... after a week, ok na lahat so i guess sudden water quality change due to dying corals was the culprit in my case... so my solution was to get the water quality back to normal by fast physical & chem filtration (although water change might even be better sana)

another thing, unfortunately, i still have a few softies and even orange sponges which for sure sent out chemicals to attack the sps... (am planning to give away to any newbie willing to adopt red shroom and brown gorg) i noticed that even my photosynthetic gorgonian had a reaction so i quickly moved them to my sump for a few days...

about yung mg level, if wala kang test kit - indirectly you should detect the insufficient mg condition if your CA doesn't get up to 400 no matter how much kalk you add... if may skimmer ka taking out DOC, i think mg depletes given time... sa akin kasi, since off skimmer ko, super konti lang dosing ko ng mg

komusta ng mga sps mo?
90g Main/60g Sump
250W MH
corals: zoos, sun, cyna, brain, candycane, acan, cup, acro, monti, mille, gorg, gsp, paly, BTA, platy, blasto, bubble, scoly etc
Others: turban, nassarius, sponges, clam, feather duster
fishes: false perc, HYT, sunburst, mandarin
Additives - Kalk, buffer, Mg
Feeding - pellets, cyclop, plank
Nutr control - minimal feeding, skimmer (on occassion), Chaeto, mini ATS, DSB
iricchua
reefphilippines member

Postby random » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:37 pm

Last edited by random on Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some guy from FB: "Technically, the Jellyfish isn't a fish. It isn't technically jelly either. So, everything I was made to believe in is a LIE!"
random
reefphilippines member

Postby obet_carlos » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:47 pm

just to clarify..:D kalk raises PH.. we all know kalk is beneficial to reef tanks..:D its just a bad effect of trying to continually improve my system.. when i added kalk, the sps started to grow a lot faster.. the thing is, with the large increase of growth, some parameters became low since i was not adding additives for them.. kH was low, around 6.. mg i have no test kit..

i agree that it is not neoplasia.. i added lenses to the LEDs i had a few weeks before the reactor.. but all seems well before the reactor.. most corals that have not died are starting to recover.. i will update this thread as soon as i go home..:D wala ako sa house since wednesday..
obet_carlos

Postby random » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:20 pm

I'm sorry, my bad. Yes, kalk raises PH. I said could have lowered but what I meant to say was the kalk reactor could have raised the PH. I'm editing my previous post para di na maka-confuse pa. Thanks for pointing it out.

Oh, and I'm not saying it's your kalk reactor nga that is the culprit. I was just giving an example.
random
reefphilippines member

Return to SPS Keepers