[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - Lets talk about Anthias

Lets talk about Anthias

A forum to discuss the requirements and care of saltwater fish

Lets talk about Anthias

Postby naivete » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:24 pm

I would like to start this thread to share experiences about keeping these beauties.
naivete
reefphilippines member

Re: Lets talk about Anthias

Postby christian » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:30 pm

desperately trying to find new ways to ease reefkeeping... :)

75 gallons reef tank:
viewtopic.php?t=1761

180 gallons reef tank of my parents:
viewtopic.php?t=6211

275 gallons reef tank:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9506
christian
reefphilippines supporter

Lets talk about Anthias

Postby naivete » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:10 pm

Psuedoanthias Ventralis
Aka long fin anthias
Cousin of psuedoanthias hawainesis

I would like to share one of my favorite anthias. I have a couple now in my tank and has been with me for two months now. They have been gooding great and always out swimming with my other fishes.

To give you a brief background of this specie, it is one of the most stunning anthias available in the hobby. They are found from japan and through out parts of the pacific. They grow around 2.75inches. They are a deepwater specie which are normally caught 120-200feet and brought up within 48hours or more to the surface. Unlike other shallower anthiae species that live near acroporas for protection, ventralis lives on ledges of caves and near the substrate.

Most of the ones available in the trade might have bladder problems due to decompression issues. Aside from this, these small beauties takes a lot of time to acclimate in your tank and lighting and to feed. If you want these anthias, you need to be prepared to give them proper care like frequent feedings frozen or live no less than 3 feedings a day and with temperatures preferably 23-25 degrees celsius. Also keep them away from aggressive tank mates.

Here are some pictures (no mine but i will post soon)

Male

Male

Male with female

video

know more:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by naivete on Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
naivete
reefphilippines member

Lets talk about Anthias

Postby naivete » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:41 pm

Pseudoanthias pleurotaenia
Aka Squareback anthias

This anthias is one of the larger anthias. They normally grow around 6 inches. Just like other species of anthias, squarebacks are hermaphordies meaning they begin their lives as females and changes sex based on hierarchy in the shoal/harlem. The most dominant and most often largest becomes a male. Harlem size is one male to 5-8 females. When the male dies, the largest female turns into a male.

They normally breed during sundown with the male performing uturn mating rituals to seduce the females.

The sex can easily be determined. Sqaureback males have a single pink square on each side of their body. The females are yellow. It is often seen that harlems can contain sub-males.

I have successfully kept this specie before. I had one male and two females on my 100gals. They are one of the easiest anthias that i kept. They are quickly weaned to take pellets and other feeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by naivete on Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
naivete
reefphilippines member

Re: Lets talk about Anthias

Postby bagz727 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:39 pm

Love the ventralis!
SanMig Light+Aquarium= :)
bagz727
reefphilippines member

Return to Fish Forum