[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - Chiller-less Cooling

Chiller-less Cooling

A forum for all those projects you want to build on your own

Re: Chiller-less Cooling

Postby obet_carlos » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:50 am

tits 125mA.. may period bago nung 1.. hehe! 125A amp! text mo number mo sa akin..
obet_carlos
reefphilippines supporter

Postby SHOKOY » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:52 am

Sent from my NOKIA 5110...

CORAL LIBRARY>>> http://sdmas.com/corals/species.php
SHOKOY
reefphilippines member

Postby bian » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:11 pm

35 gal DT
35 gal sump
queen skimmer., OHF converted to ATS.

bian
reefphilippines member

Postby hpowerleds » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:28 pm

hi guys but have anyone of you tried using a "peltier cooler" for this purpose?
hpowerleds
reefphilippines member

Postby obet_carlos » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:24 pm

look for the dophin chiller sa aquaria manila thread.. its not that effective during the hot summer days daw..
obet_carlos
reefphilippines supporter

Postby thurrmac » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:33 am

just found this link... maybe we can make something out of it for our cooling system... may chemist ba dito? need your inputs here... :mrgreen:

http://www.scienceprog.com/extremely-co ... r-kitchen/
thurrmac
reefphilippines member

Re:

Postby Vien » Tue May 01, 2012 8:01 pm

Vien
reefphilippines member

Postby lncc63 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:50 am

I've tried quite a few methods back in the day but with very little long term success. Sorry to say guys but IMHO a chiller is the best, even most cost effective, way to go. Just cooling is not enough, more important is to keep a stable temperature. IIRC, corals do not like a temperature swing more than 1 degC over a 24-hour period. So unless you have the time to be frequently checking the temperature and making adjustments, manual methods will not work well.

The trick with keeping the electricity bill down is insulation. Keeping the heat out is just as effective as getting it out. If no heat gets in, there will be no need for the chiller to turn on. So how to keep the heat out? I've gone as far as wrapping my main tank with styrofoam panels when I am not enjoying it. This along with evaporative cooling worked though only marginally.

Another method that is worth mentioning, is using a super sump. Mine was suppose to be a 2000, maybe 3000, gallon below ground cement tank I had built (but never got to commission) outside our house. According to literature, the ground's temperature, like the sea's, does not swing much over a 24-hour period. I never was able to commission our super sump however having moved on to other interests so we eventually had it filled in and paved over.

Last method, though I've never used this since it was not available then, is to use LED lighting instead of MH or even FL bulbs. LEDs are not only more efficient at generating light but they also produce less heat. So sure they are expensive but I suspect the savings from the lower cooling requirement will be as significant as the direct savings from the more efficient lighting. The thought crossed my mind to recommission the metal halides I have from my early aquarium days but having said the above I'll probably not be using them.

Cheers.
lncc63
reefphilippines member

Postby marvinpb » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:28 am

tanong ko lang mga sirs, may nakasubok na ba dito?
ang top off water ay ice na nkalagay sa styro box na may maliit na butas or adjustable faucet at dhandahan pnpatulo sa tank?
pwde rn cgro ung mga coleman basta may adjustable faucet.
syempre i-adjust din ang takip pra tama lng ang tunaw ng yelo para once a day lng mglagay.
or frozen tankwater nlang ang gmitin.

kung wala nksubok ako nlang mgsubok bago ako bumili ng chiller.
kya nman sgro to at kya rn ng aking ref.

n/a kc sakin yung ibang options na nbanggit
ang fans nman,naiingayan nko sa fans ng ilaw ayw ko ng mgdagdag
180g mixed reef tank, 70g sump

marvinpb
reefphilippines member

Postby actino » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:26 am

In my opinion, you wont be able to make up for the temperature difference with ice. You will be spending your whole day putting ice just to keep the temperature at what you want. And forget it during summer, you would need to be on duty 24/7. Deal with the sound of dc fans, its a much better option compared to ice. Besides, if your dc fan is making noise then it means something is wrong with it.
I have tried ice before in case you were wondering. I ended up with a chiller in the end. Nothing much to think about. The stress of having not enough ice during summer and staying up just to control temperature is just not worth it.
actino
reefphilippines member

Postby marvinpb » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:08 pm

thank you sir actino for the answer. this saves me the trouble. i guess i have to go with a chiller
180g mixed reef tank, 70g sump

marvinpb
reefphilippines member

Postby alucard2ooo » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:59 pm

Hello po,

I just want to share my experience sa DIY chiller. I used 20m long, 8mm, plastic tubing saka styro na lalagyan ng ice candy and a small pump. The idea is to put the rolled 20m tube inside then add ice. Then the small pump will run the water from the sump to the plastic tube then will be colled inside teh styro then back to the sump. Grabe angbilis maubos nung ice. 10 pcs na yelo nilagay ko to test ung mga nabibili ng 2-3pesos. Parang mga 4hrs lang sya inabot.

Nasa cycling period pa ko and i'm worried na pagdating nung summer baka sobrang init ng tubig nung tank ko.

By the way, my tank is 50g main ang 15g sump. Nung di pa ko gumagawa ng canopy at ala pa lights nasa 80f ung temp ko pero ngayon umaabot na sya ng 83f. Gusto ko sana makapag alaga din ng mga corals. Merob ba corals na pwede sa up to 83f na temp?

Thanks po in advance
alucard2ooo
reefphilippines member

Postby M@v3rick » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:43 pm

My tank temp reaches 30'C (86'F) without any problems. I think nasa acclimation ng LS yan.

I have elegance, favia, pineapple, toadstools, open brains, candycanes, actinos, blastos, bubbles, torch, gonio, zoas and mushrooms.

I also have my tank beside a large glass window.

Everything is thriving. I just keep my water chemistry as close to ideal as possible.

M@v3rick
reefphilippines member

Postby cracker » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:34 pm

Hi to all im a newbie to this forum so pls. be kind to me...hehehe! Kakasetup ko pa lng ng SW ko and planning to go for a reef setup (7 weeks actually)! My aquarium is an aqua one ar 830 and the aquarium is a closed unit so kulob siya kumbaga! Lightings are t5 and remove it to convert to LED Aquazonic only (2nd hand ala budget mahal kasi ng hobby na ito e!) Anyways just want to share my DIY PC Fans! Ang ginamit ko ay 2 Nidec 120mm Fans which are uaed in our server rooms (this fans are quiet, and strong and can be use 24/7). Minodify ko yung takip at tinanggal exposing the 2 holes (ginagamit sa pagpapakain ng fishes) then dun ko nilagay magakabila yung fans! What I did is connect the 2 fans to a USB cable and then buy a good USB charger! I place also the fan in a styro just cutting the center and where the fans are rotating so that the wind will not get out easily at para maipon din yung lamig! I got a temp of 28-29 degrees until now. Ill try to post a pic para makita ninyo kung anong ginawa kong kalokohan and to see that it works!
cracker
reefphilippines member

Postby Switch » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:57 am

Sir post mo na hahahaha!!! Gusto ko sana makita ung ginawa mo hehehehe :D
Switch
reefphilippines member

Previous

Return to Do It Your Self