[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - LED PROJECT QUESTION

LED PROJECT QUESTION

A forum for all those projects you want to build on your own

LED PROJECT QUESTION

Postby idolkosicj » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:08 pm

I'm planning to do my first custom full spectrum LED project. Ano po ang recommended number of LED for soft coral keeping sa 20gallons tsaka 40gallons. I know basic electronics and i've done simple led projects before not sure though if I could use regular leds or the HO 3w led version. any suggestions on the recommended number of led?
idolkosicj
reefphilippines member

Re: LED PROJECT QUESTION

Postby danggit » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:27 pm

Bro, not sure if anyone has helped you yet but I read somewhere and agree that any LED that doesn't need a heatsink (e.g. regular LEDs) is most likely not powerful enough to penetrate the water in your tank to light your corals.

I've tried Aquazonic LED Reef light that was ~20 watts that's supposedly full spectrum but my corals either turned brown or lost color, even though it actually said in the box that some of the LED diodes in it were already 1.5Watts, though mostly it was 0.5 Watt LEDs. I may also had something to do with it not actually being full spectrum but could be more more about the power I think...I would go with the readily available 3 watts you could get from the sellers in this forum.

I built a LED array for my scrubber and went with 3W diodes as well...

HTH
danggit
reefphilippines member

Postby idolkosicj » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:38 pm

Thanks bro. I did my research and I guess you're right. I bought hundreds of 3W LED's colors are Royal Blue, Neutral white and UV. I checked Cree and they recommended these 3 for a full spectrum grow for your corals and should avoid bleaching them. I'm not sure though how to drive them. Any ideas on a DIY dimmable driver for a 20 3W LED project.
idolkosicj
reefphilippines member

Postby danggit » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:57 pm

Haven't tried that but check out the sponsors here in the section of the same name, like go deals and jarcowin...i think i saw some of them sell dimmable drivers though i am not sure. i'm using non-dimmable. If your LED placement is just crammed close together and the lens angle is a bit wide i think you can just wire them in a way that you can turn of alternate diodes with simple waterproofed switches.. it's not that elegant but does the job i think. keep in mind the lower and upper limits of the driver(s) though in all cases.
danggit
reefphilippines member

Postby obet_carlos » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:20 am

There are a lot more leds to choose from now. Before blue and white nga lang, then nagka royal blue, then nagkaroon ng green, reds, violets, etc. I would suggest building a cluster form.. yung parang radion type.. yung leds mo off different colors ay dikit dikit sa isang cluster instead of the normal alternate white and blues.. this will eliminate the rainbow effect.. yung tipong may blue lang sa isang part at white sa isang part ka ilaw..
obet_carlos
reefphilippines supporter

Postby idolkosicj » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:30 am

After an intensive research on what LED colors to use and so on and so forth. I have concluded that you'd need Royal blue, Neutral White and Hyper Violet from a certain wave length. Purchased hundreds of the 3 color combination plus some other colors for aesthetics. I'm building my own LED dimmable driver with wifi controllable aethetic lights. It came from different diagrams(circuit boards) that i've put together. I know basic electronics basic enough for me to build myself an LED driver. Will show you guys pictures on how I would progress on this as I build it. The problem is it would take awhile for the LEDs that I purchased to get here. 25-30 more days since it's in bulk. X_X hope all goes well since I spent alot on those cree LEDs
idolkosicj
reefphilippines member

Postby Zen Keeper » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:30 am

YGPM bro. Thanks.
"The world’s finest wilderness lies beneath the waves …"
Zen Keeper
reefphilippines member

Postby danggit » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:59 pm

danggit
reefphilippines member