[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - SeaTurtle Custom Build: 180 gallons (Done Project)

SeaTurtle Custom Build: 180 gallons (Done Project)

A forum for all those projects you want to build on your own

Re: SeaTurtle Custom Build: 180 gallons (Day 21)

Postby Gamol » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:37 am

Cant wait to see the finished product bro! :)
Save the REEFS? :P
Gamol
reefphilippines supporter

Postby Sea Turtle » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:40 am

...ako nga rin eh. hehe
Sea Turtle
reefphilippines member

Postby Sea Turtle » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:17 pm

Day 21

due to the weather today, i didn't risk painting the interior of the main tank. so instead, more sanding took place and i also sealed everything that needs to be sealed like the joints of the baffles, the overflow and the sump...

the interior of the tank was sanded in preparation for the second sealing. 120 grit sandpaper was used here.
if it wasn't for the rain, this thing should have been painted already...

patches of epoxy were applied here to cover the wood that got exposed due to the sanding...

the sump was also covered with epoxy...

hopefully the weather tomorrow will be fine so i could start the second sealing of the main tank and the sump. more updates to come. thanks for viewing. :D
Sea Turtle
reefphilippines member

Postby randiedonhito » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:07 am

nice DIY bro. :D :D
randiedonhito
reefphilippines member

Postby Sea Turtle » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:02 pm

salamat po sir :D
Sea Turtle
reefphilippines member

Postby Sea Turtle » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:13 am

Day 21

the second part of the sealing was delayed again yesterday because the weather wasn't fine. so i just went on with the masilya part and did some more epoxy patching on the main tank...

for size reference. our dog stands at 25 inches at the shoulders.

she seems to be shy...

initial leak testing of the rear biomedia chamber...

i already sanded the new patches of epoxy today and cleaned the surface very well. painting will be done at past noon. more updates to come. thanks for viewing. :D
Sea Turtle
reefphilippines member

Postby gallardo » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:15 am

ang ganda naman nyan sir :D :D pahingi po ako ganyan hehehe joke
gallardo
reefphilippines member

Postby Sea Turtle » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:30 pm

Sea Turtle
reefphilippines member

Re: SeaTurtle Custom Build: 180 gallons (Day 22)

Postby Sea Turtle » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:03 pm

Day 22

The interior of the main tank has been finally painted with epoxy paint...

...second layer will be done tomorrow and hopefully, depending on the weather, i could lay the epoxy resin by friday morning so i could install the glass already. more updates to come. thanks for viewing. :D
Sea Turtle
reefphilippines member

Re: SeaTurtle Custom Build: 180 gallons (Day 22)

Postby Sea Turtle » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:51 pm

Day 23

I picked up the glass today. dimension of which is 72x24x0.5 for the front window and 24x24x0.5 for the right window...

then i noticed a problem...
what seems to be a very small error turned out to be a big hassle

i had to shave off a little amount of wood form both sides of the groove so that the glass would fit in...
glass was fitted again and fitted right in.

will be sanding the interior later in preparation for the second coating. more updates to come and thanks for viewing. :D
Sea Turtle
reefphilippines member

Re: SeaTurtle Custom Build: 180 gallons (Day 23)

Postby Sea Turtle » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:22 pm

Day 24

I sanded the first layer of epoxy paint, using 280 grit sandpaper, in preparation for the second layer. the stand was also sanded using 120 grit...

then the second coating was applied...

when i was halfway through, it suddenly rained. i hope it won't affect the curing of the epoxy paint. ika nga ng kasambahay namin eh, "pisting ulan yan!"

i will be laminating the interior of the tank tomorrow so wala munang mananalangin ng ulan dyan! hehe :lol: more updates to come and thanks for viewing. :D
Sea Turtle
reefphilippines member

Re: SeaTurtle Custom Build: 180 gallons (Day 26)

Postby Sea Turtle » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:03 pm

Day 25

i found some bubbles on the surface of the epoxy paint that was applied last friday... i wonder if this was due to the rain. i sanded the "bubbled" parts before laminating the whole interior of the tank...

the resin that was used for the first coating was around 500 grams...

tank interior on its first coating of resin...

Day 26

now that the epoxy has cured, it was time to sand down the grooves that will hold the windows. 120 grit sandpaper was used here...

both windows were installed and the top brace...

the topmost brace will be installed tomorrow and will also be coating the sump. hopefully i could get this things done by tomorrow so i could schedule the leak test soon. more updates to come and thanks for viewing. :D
Last edited by Sea Turtle on Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sea Turtle
reefphilippines member

Re: SeaTurtle Custom Build: 180 gallons (Day 27)

Postby Sea Turtle » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:33 pm

Day 27

i miscalculated something that the topmost frame did not fit in right on the top braces. so i had to make a 2-inch wide groove on the right and front side of frame for it to fit right...

the installation was done by putting a thick layer of epoxy on the surface to be bonded and screwed...

i will sand the top frame tomorrow and coat it with epoxy before painting. the interior of the tank will be finalized before the week ends and hopefully the sump too. more updates to come and thanks for viewing. :D
Sea Turtle
reefphilippines member

Re: SeaTurtle Custom Build: 180 gallons (Day 31)

Postby Sea Turtle » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Day 28 - 31

sorry for the lack of update but here they are...

the top frame that was installed last time was sanded to be painted...

the stand was partially painted so that it would be easier to spot the rough surfaces...

then additional patching were done on the rough surfaces...

the sump was also painted and will be coated with epoxy resin tomorrow...

and finally the return pipe was already installed...

i will be sealing the overflow by tomorrow and the rear chambers. hopefully it won't rain so there will be no issues when it comes to the sealing. more updates to come and thanks for viewing. :D
Sea Turtle
reefphilippines member

Re: SeaTurtle Custom Build: 180 gallons (Day 31)

Postby jackryan » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:12 pm

nice pics... very thorough planning and unique way to have a tank!
JackRyan's 225G 6'x2'x2.5' Tank Project

jackryan

PreviousNext

Return to Do It Your Self