[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - SeaTurtle Custom Build: 180 gallons (Done Project)

SeaTurtle Custom Build: 180 gallons (Done Project)

A forum for all those projects you want to build on your own

SeaTurtle Custom Build: 180 gallons (Done Project)

Postby Sea Turtle » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:34 pm

it's been a while... although this build is going to be bigger than my previous 2, this will be composed of the standard features of our tank systems. the tank will look something like this:
approximate external dimensions are: 77in L x 32in W x 60in H
Internal dimensions are: 71in L x 24in W x 24.75in H
Volume is around 180 gallons

Day 1
this build started out last saturday afternoon. so far the only parts that i have fabricated were the base of the stand and the base of the main tank.

all leg parts have been cut to length and will be assembled later. will be posting more pics later on. thanks for viewing.
Last edited by Sea Turtle on Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:03 pm, edited 26 times in total.
Sea Turtle
reefphilippines member

Re: SeaTurtle Custom Build: 180 gallons (Day 2)

Postby Sea Turtle » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:46 pm

Day 2

the four outer legs were assembled first for alignment...

when the bases were already aligned the other legs were also assembled. each leg was "squared" (not really sure if that's the term) to make sure they were standing on a 90 degree angle...

the center legs will be assembled tomorrow along with the sump walls. more updates to come. thanks for viewing. :D
Sea Turtle
reefphilippines member

Postby lanreef » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:05 pm

Looking forward to see your tank sir sea turtle. :D
Tank size- 75 gallons
Filtration- Berlin System
Fish-damselfish, clownfish, wrasses, tangs, hawfi
A true Hobbyist is measured in his ways to take care of his pets not the measure at ways.
lanreef
reefphilippines member

Postby Sea Turtle » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:13 pm

Sea Turtle
reefphilippines member

Postby Sea Turtle » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:43 pm

Day 3

Center legs were assembled today and some of the panels that will make up the walls of the stand.
the stand prior to the installation of the panels

the stand after the installation of the panels.

will be completing the installation of the panels tomorrow and hopefully i could cut out the panels needed for the main tank. more updates to come. thanks for viewing. :D
Sea Turtle
reefphilippines member

Re: SeaTurtle Custom Build: 180 gallons (Day 3)

Postby RRandygie » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:13 pm

sir what kind of wood are you using? im sure maganda na naman to!
WOW Fish!

67gal Rimless dtank
30gal sump
Orca Counter Current Skimmer (OFFLINE)
T5HO 2 10000K and 2 BLUEplus
2 sunsun wavemaker 12watts
2 sunsun wavemaker 6watts
4 fan Array , 3 sunon fan, Exhaust fan 6 inches
DSB, LR, MANGROVES, ATS
DIY ATO
RRandygie
reefphilippines member

Re: SeaTurtle Custom Build: 180 gallons (Day 3)

Postby Sea Turtle » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:52 pm

KD S4S 2x3 lumbers for the frame and legs tapos 3/4 plywood naman dun sa main tank. tapos for the rest like yung panels to cover the edges either 1/2 or 1/4 plywood. :D
Sea Turtle
reefphilippines member

Re: SeaTurtle Custom Build: 180 gallons (Day 5)

Postby Sea Turtle » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:05 pm

Day 4

the panels that cover the legs were installed yesterday so as the ceiling of the stand. the panels were glued and screwed...

Day 5
I should have cut the panels today that will be used for the main tank but I wasn't able to do anything today because i had to attend to other things. anyway, the stand panels will be coated with epoxy tomorrow along with the cutting of the plywood that will be used on the main tank. more updates to come. thanks for viewing. :D
Sea Turtle
reefphilippines member

Re: SeaTurtle Custom Build: 180 gallons (Day 9)

Postby Sea Turtle » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:51 pm

Day 9

Sorry for the lack of update... i wasn't able to do much because of the exam week and i had to attend to our students. anyway here are some minor updates:

most of the plywood needed for the main tank were already cut to size. 3/4 ply were used here...

will try to assemble the main tank before weekend comes. will be updating more soon. thanks for viewing. :D
Sea Turtle
reefphilippines member

Re: SeaTurtle Custom Build: 180 gallons (Day 11)

Postby Sea Turtle » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:16 pm

Day 11

I managed to assemble the 2 primary parts of the main tank...

epoxy was laid on the bottom edge of the rear wall prior to the screws...

the rear wall was fastened on the base using 2-inch hi-low screws. screws were 2 inches apart...

and the result...
the left wall isn't fixed yet as i have yet to cut 2 openings that will feed the sump.

the rear wall has an opening of 24 inches in length and 0.75 in in height. this will serve as the main outlet of the return

all braces for the main tank were already cut to size and the assembly will be completed once the glass arrives. will try to do the components of the overflow tomorrow and the piping so i could fix the main tank on the stand already. more updates to come. thanks for viewing. :D
Sea Turtle
reefphilippines member

Re: SeaTurtle Custom Build: 180 gallons (Day 12)

Postby Sea Turtle » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:52 pm

Day 12

The left wall was finally installed on the main tank using 2 inch screws and epoxy...

the openings will serve as the main feed of the overflow...

will try to accomplish the overflow and the sump over the weekend so waterproofing could be done by next week. more updates to come. thanks for viewing. :D
Last edited by Sea Turtle on Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sea Turtle
reefphilippines member

Re: SeaTurtle Custom Build: 180 gallons (Day 13)

Postby Sea Turtle » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:37 pm

Day 13

shown here are the details of the overflow and return...
1" pvc was used for the drain and 0.5" for the return

this pipes will be concealed under the tank

holes were drilled on the main tank for the pipes

details of the overflow...
the walls of the overflow will also serve as additional supports for the left side of the tank

tank at different angles...

will continue the plumbing tomorrow and hopefully i could fix the main tank on the stand already. will also try to accomplish the other details on the stand until monday so i could start the "masilya" stage. more updates to come. thanks for viewing. :D
Sea Turtle
reefphilippines member

Re: SeaTurtle Custom Build: 180 gallons (Day 14)

Postby Sea Turtle » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:05 pm

Day 14

I spent the whole day smoothing out the edges of the stand and installing the accents on it and will be glazed soon...

the edges of the accents will be glazed by epoxy putty for durability

front panel of the sump was also installed using 1/2 plywood. the height of which is 12 inches, width is 14.5 in and length of the entire sump is around 27 inches so that would sum up to roughly 20 gallons.

i wasn't able to finish the pipes today simply because i forgot :lol: and i got busy cutting the panels that will serve as baffles for the rear sump. hopefully, i will have enough time tomorrow to finish the rear sump and the piping and also the partial glazing of the stand. more updates to come. thanks for viewing.
Last edited by Sea Turtle on Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sea Turtle
reefphilippines member

Re: SeaTurtle Custom Build: 180 gallons (Day 16)

Postby Sea Turtle » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:38 pm

Day 15 - 16

i started the rear sump yesterday by smoothing the surface of the back of the tank and the panels that will be used as baffles. they were also coated with epoxy putty...

the biomedia chamber before installation...
dimensions of the chamber are 24x6x12

the chamber and the baffles were installed today. they were all glued (using epoxy) to the main tank and fastened by 2-inch hi-low screws...

the baffles were made of 3/4 ply and will also serve as additional rear supports. each baffle stands at 22 inches, the narrow gaps are around 1.5 inches and the bigger ones are: 9.5 inches for the left one and around 12 inches at the return section...

i will probably finish the plumbing tomorrow so i could fix the main tank on the stand already. hopefully i won't forget this time. :D
more updates to come. thanks for viewing.
Sea Turtle
reefphilippines member

Re: SeaTurtle Custom Build: 180 gallons (Day 21)

Postby Sea Turtle » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:27 am

Day 17 - 21

there are no noticeable changes in the build because i've been doing the smaller details these past few days like the master drain, coating the rear sump with another layer of epoxy, cutting the other pieces of wood for the top window frame and so on. but not until yesterday...

it took me seven excruciating hours just to finish the first part of the waterproofing...
after more than 2 hours of sanding...

a close up look of where the glass will be placed. the spot where the glass will be put is around 0.75 inch

first layer of epoxy...

i'm having second thoughts of painting the interior today because of the weather. but let's see what's what. more updates to come later. thanks for viewing. :D
Sea Turtle
reefphilippines member

Next

Return to Do It Your Self