Help Please!!

If you are new to the hobby and would like to have some personalized attention, this is the forum to post your questions

Help Please!!

Postby LxV » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:57 pm

I have a 20G SW. Complete with LED lights and skimmer and wave maker. I have 5 fish, 2 cleaning shrimp and 10 snails. One RBTA and one bubble. Everytime i'll try to put another coral, it just dies. :cry: So maybe its because of the temperature? My normal temp range between 27-30 depends on the weather but now that its summer, i noticed that my RBTA is getting smaller. I am guessing its due to the water temp.

Anyway, i am now thinking of buying a chiller worth 13k. :? Then the supplier told me that i need to make a sump pa and that's additional 4k. I only have HOB filter and i thought its okay since i only have 20G.

I just need help on how to make this hobby succesful. :cry: Anybody?

Thanks in advance!
LxV
reefphilippines member

Re: Help Please!!

Postby Kappaquariums » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:35 pm

Buy this:
https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/api- ... a&search=1
Test everything in the kit.
Reading should be less than 10(preferably 5) ppm Nitrate Less than 0.02 ppm Phosphate
440-460 mg/l Calcium and 7.7-8.3 dkh Alk as well as try to find a magnesium test kit and make sure it's 1360-1420 mg/l also, make your aquarium have 35 ppt salt or 1.026 sg

You can keep corals as long as the temp is less than 30 degrees. If you really want to reduce temps buy an automatic top off (aquareef's den has some models I recommend Innovative Marine model or Tunze, AutoAqua if you can find the latter two) and and a cooling fan to put on top of your aquarium (FEV Marine sells some models). Chillers are not really that effective its basically heating the room the aquarium as the heat from the aquarium has to go somewhere which increases the temp of the tank thus needing it to increase the temp of the room and so on.
Kappaquariums
reefphilippines member

Postby Kappaquariums » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:54 pm

I recommend using weekly 20% water changes with a good salt mix with elevated levels of Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium as well as other elements. Aquaforest Reef Salt is one that I recommend. Blue Treasure is also a good brand carried by FEV Marinie. I do not recommend stocking SPS like acros. I recommend LPS and Softies as more modern methods of reefkeeping are extremely expensive.

Also, I would get rid of the HOB if you can't select the media you can use. Cartridge base ones are useless and you can purchase Seachem Tidal Filters if you have the money (found in pet world look at my previous post) fill it with Seachem Purigen or other Organic Harvesting Resins. Also, reduce your stocking. One of each type of snail per 10 gallons Trochus(or other algae eaters), Nassarius. Also, what fish do you have? 5 Fish is alot and get rid of one shrimp you don't need two. Probably dial down the fish to 3 or 2 until the tank gets established.
Kappaquariums
reefphilippines member

Postby Kristinut » Thu May 03, 2018 11:43 am

I need your help. Can you tell me what I should do?
Kristinut
reefphilippines member

Return to New to the hobby