Protein Skimmer without Sump

If you are new to the hobby and would like to have some personalized attention, this is the forum to post your questions

Protein Skimmer without Sump

Postby penaeus » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:31 pm

A newbie here. Setting up a FOWLR tank in my old 65 gallon tank. No sump and the tank has braces, so difficult to put anything HOB. Will probably add a sump in the future. Since they're expensive and most recommend in-sump models, I would like to ask what problems there are if I put an in-sump protein skimmer in the display tank aside from it not looking good, assuming I put it at its recommended water level. Do most in-sump skimmers have sufficient inlet cover to not suck fish in? Or are bubbles going to be too numerous in the display tank that might affect the well-being of the fish there or is it just an aesthetic problem? Am thinking of getting a Bubble Magus Curve 5 skimmer.
penaeus
reefphilippines member

Re: Protein Skimmer without Sump

Postby Kappaquariums » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:36 pm

https://www.reef2reef.com you can ask your question here. Not really much people left here and I myself don't know the answer to your question. Hope this helps :)
Kappaquariums
reefphilippines member

Re: Protein Skimmer without Sump

Postby jhojhie45 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:02 pm

protein skimmer efficient performance is based on constant water level. Sa sump, you can maintain the constant water level. Display tank water level decreases due to evaporation kapag wala ka sump. kapag nagkataon, yun dumi will not go to the cup but mag-buildup sa neck ng skimmer. kapag sumobra naman ang dagdag mo ng tubig, pwedeng mag-overflow ang skimmer. unless masinop ka to maintain same water level regularly or adjust the skimmer.

then nandun na nga yun problem na baka mahigop yun fish na ilalagay mo sa tank.
jhojhie45
reefphilippines member

Return to New to the hobby