Quick Question about Dry Rock.

If you are new to the hobby and would like to have some personalized attention, this is the forum to post your questions

Quick Question about Dry Rock.

Postby tonzi » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:02 pm

Hi guys, been a while. im on planning stage again to put up a FO or FOWLR set up just wanna ask some basic stuff.
This might be really sensless question but lol. If I will put up a FO tank with dry rock in it, would it eventually become Live rock? If so, How will I maintain my tank as FO without these bacteria growing inside the tank, yet wanted to put aesthetic inside like wood or dry rocks. thanks
tonzi
reefphilippines member

Re: Quick Question about Dry Rock.

Postby Sea Turtle » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:24 am

kala ko itatanong mo kung eventually mababasa din sya eh... :lol:

anyway, yes, it would eventually become a live rock. why would you not want the said bacteria inside your tank, whereas they are an integral part of the water quality in the tank?

now if you really want your tank to be sanitized, high dosage of zonrox might do the trick. (just kidding... :lol: )
Sea Turtle
reefphilippines member

Postby ReeferJay » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:35 pm

As what sea turtle said, Oo, magiging live din yan... atleast kung dry, wlang hitch hikers, sure ka na kung ano inilagay mo, un lng andun sa tanke mo, mas matagal nga lang ang cycling process mo...best is sun dry mo rocks mo, for a week or so...
Tas better kung magdose ka ng bacteria para mapabilis + phantom feeding...and para mamaximize mo ang usage ng bacteria, mag carbon dosing ka(do your own research on this) + well sized skimmer(to remove bacteria(wag mo muna i-on and skimmer on 1st week, para magpopulate muna ung dinose mo na bacteria) and aerate the wate)(bacteria uses up oxygen in the water))...mga isinuseggests ko ay nabasa ko sa forums from reef central, journals, etc....just want to share what i know to this amazing community...

Bacteria, well the good side, are valuable organisms sa reef tank natin...they lower nitates and phosphates + provide food for to your corals...dont hate them :)

Hope those helped... :D

Cheers... :lol:
ReeferJay
reefphilippines member

Postby ReeferJay » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:51 pm

Noting na sponsor ang fev marine d2, try mo ang bio digest nya, i've read good things about them...
ReeferJay
reefphilippines member

Postby tonzi » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:35 am

Haha, sabi na walang kwenta tong question ko :lol: :lol: . Thank you sa mga inputs. I'll read more.
tonzi
reefphilippines member

Return to New to the hobby