First Reef Tank (if successful)

If you are new to the hobby and would like to have some personalized attention, this is the forum to post your questions

First Reef Tank (if successful)

Postby beibitoi » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:24 pm

Hi. I've been planning to set up a 50g reef tank for several months now. But things changed and just last Saturday, I bought my first nano tank - a 7.5g cube tank. Along with this tank, I also bought:

1. Resun HOB filter (with crushed corals, foam and carbon as filter media)
2. LED lights (can be switched from white to blue)
3. sand which I do not know if it's live or not
4. live rocks
5. Natural seawater
6. Hydrometer
7. Water conditioner (Aquatan, I think)

My plan here is to make it a reef tank. Prior to buying all these, I've been researching a lot, reading several articles from different authors, which then made me confused on what I should really do.

As of this moment, the tank has already been assembled with the live rocks and sand in it. The filter as well as the lights have been running for six days now. The salinity is stable at the green mark on the hydrometer and the temperature ranges from 80 to 85.

What I do not know is whether I already have all the equipment needed for my reef tank. I posted here a picture of my tank. Unfortunately however, I was not able to take a picture of the whole setup. But I hope this will be enough for me to get advice. The only missing in the photo are the HOB filter and the lights.

I honestly do not know if I am on the right track. If you see anything wrong in my tank, please let me know. I would also appreciate any advice on how I can improve my setup.

By the way, I'm from Taguig.

Thanks in advance. :D

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309 ... abvtz0.jpg
beibitoi
reefphilippines member

Re: First Reef Tank (if successful)

Postby kalzwin » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:17 pm

Hi. Okay naman ang start mo. Okay din nabili mong gamit para sa tank na ganyan ang size. Pero better siguro kung bibili ka rin nung swing arm hydrometer, or best kung refractometer. Nung naguumpisa palang kasi ako, gamit ko yung floating din, akala ko basta andun siya sa green okay na. Pero nung naisipan ko bumili ng swing arm, pagtry ko nasa 1.030 pala yung SG. I am not saying na accurate yung swing arm, pero in my experience, madali siyang gamitin.

Two things na hindi mo na kailangan:
1) Sera Aquatan. You should never use tap water in a marine / reef tank. You may use natural sea water, or good quality salt mixed in purified/RO water.
2) Crushed coral sa HOB. Floss and carbon nalang ang ilagay mo. Sapat na yung live rock for biological filtration, and your HOB will be more on polishing nalang ng water.

BTW, you will need test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. Everything you need to know about cycling nasa "New to the Hobby" section.

All the best! :D
kalzwin
reefphilippines member

Return to New to the hobby