[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - NEWBIE: 2 days counting aquarium still not clear

NEWBIE: 2 days counting aquarium still not clear

If you are new to the hobby and would like to have some personalized attention, this is the forum to post your questions

NEWBIE: 2 days counting aquarium still not clear

Postby popodc » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:26 am

Hi guys, im just new to this hobby with a little knowledge to saltwater.

Bought a package in Cartimar which includes the ff:
1. 20 gallons tank (Camry brand)
2. 10 pcs fishes
3. 10 pcs coral
4. fish food
5. reef calcium
6. reef buffer
7. 20+gal of salt water (not mixed)

I followed the steps when i got home with all the packages
1. place salt water in tank, wait 1hour
2. place corals in tank, wait 1 hour
3. place fishes in tank, wait 1 hour
4. put around 20 drops of reef buffer and calcium

i'm still not satisfied with the result of my tank, it still looks blurry/foggy

here are some photos:

appreciate all the tips or if i am missing something here.. TIA!!
Last edited by popodc on Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
popodc
reefphilippines member

Re: NEWBIE: 2 days counting aquarium still not clear

Postby paulmt8 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:42 am

Hi popodc. The bad news is I guess you are a victim of "Baklang Butanding" of Cartimar. :)

The good news, we have a lot of gurus and masters here to help you. Let's wait for the comments of the experts.
100g 72x18x18 DT / 50g Sump
Hailea HC-500A Chiller
Reef Octopus NWB200
Jebao DC-12000 return pump
1x Jebao WP25, 1x Jebao WP40
84x 3W LED DIY
GFO and Biopellet TLF Reactors
Reef Angel Contoller
paulmt8
reefphilippines member

Postby popodc » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:42 am

edit: photos fixed.
popodc
reefphilippines member

Postby immortalbreaker » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:52 am

another victim of carti.

possible hindi properly cycled ang tank mo. too many fish for a 20gal.

as for the calcium and buffer, rule of thumb is dont dose what you cannot test.

i think one of your fish is not reef safe, the stripes one.

suggest you look for a reefer near you that may guide you. do research also on starting a saltwater aquarium.

sadly your tank may crash at its current situation.
Custom Tank (50gal water volume) - SOLD

Custom AIO - Current Tank
immortalbreaker
reefphilippines member

Postby popodc » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:57 am

appreciate your reply

1. What do you mean by baklang butanding? is there a specific shop i should avoid? i bought this package in a shop in an open parking, near the parking for motorcycles. Harvey is the name of the "boy" who assisted me.
2. Is there anyway to revive this? what do i need to fix first?
3. do i need to cycle if i use salt water already?
popodc
reefphilippines member

Postby seth » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:20 pm

Your tank is currently experiencing an episode of bacterial bloom. If you do not have a saltwater master testkit yet, I strongly suggest you get one.

Judging from the pics, most corals are severely stressed. Your brain coral seems to be releasing mucous, and the flowerpot coral on the lower left seems retracted.

I would also suggest to have all your corals and fishes adopted first, if possible. It would be a waste to let them perish. 10 fishes in a really small tank is not recommended, and putting everything all at once is a recipe for disaster. If it is not possible to have them adopted, do small water changes every other day using a good brand of salt or a good source of natural saltwater.

Buy a decent hydrometer as well, I think you still have not posted your tank water's specific gravity yet.

Unfortunately, you are in for a one rough ride. Get everything you need first - testkits, good brand of saltmix, a decent hydrometer and a good brand of activated carbon.

And please avoid buying any fish or corals, at least until everything is set.
Cheers,
Marty

seth
reefphilippines member

Postby roland_0313 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:21 pm

Eesh... Carti victimized someone again...

Anyway... at this point, the safest thing to do is to have all of your fish and corals for adoption because none of them will survive the next 2 weeks.

As for cycling, you will need to have the tank running "empty", with only rocks and sand in it. You need to wait for all parameters to settle and correct itself (it varies between 2 weeks to 2 months). For this, you need to buy/do the following:

1. Test Kit (for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and pH, can be bought in Carti)
2. Hydrometer (for salinity, can be bought in Carti)
3. Saltmix (this is if you are using either the blue or yellow bag generic saltmix from Cartimar, see the Sponsors Section)
4. Research (this place has everything, just use the search feature)
5. Tons of patience

Once your tests for Ammonia and Nitrite reaches ZERO, Nitrate will spike. Do a major water change (around 50% of your total water volume or higher, but not 100%, if you are currently using the generic saltmix). Once done, that's the only time to add a fish (no corals yet), but research about Acclimation and Fish Compatibility first.
Last edited by roland_0313 on Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
50 gallon standard size
20 gallon sump
Reef Octopus NWB 110SSS skimmer
DIY light fixture (32 pc 3W bulbs)
DIY Denitrator
Purigen
Refugium
roland_0313
reefphilippines member

Postby popodc » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:36 pm

thank you guys for your quick response. I have noted all the kits needed for starter and will buy asap.

Unfortunately, i don't know someone who is willing to adopt my fishes and corals. I still have a spare salt water (around 10 liters). Should i put them there?

I am willing to start from scratch. Should i buy new set of rocks and sand?
popodc
reefphilippines member

Postby roland_0313 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:41 pm

The rocks and sand you got right now are fine. It's the living things you need to remove from it and find a home. If you're willing to do what brother seth suggested, better make sure you get all of the things you need ASAP (test kits and hydrometer), though I suggest you only do it with the fish (and remove the others in there, especially the ones that grow really big) and not with the corals.
50 gallon standard size
20 gallon sump
DIY Denitrator
Purigen
Refugium
roland_0313
reefphilippines member

Postby seth » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:45 pm

Where are you located? I am pretty sure there is a reefer that would be willing to have your corals adopted temporarily.
Cheers,
Marty

seth
reefphilippines member

Postby popodc » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:52 pm

I'm located in Acacia Estates, Taguig. I hope there are reefers our there willing to adopt them. :cry: :cry:

I might go back to Cartimar next week to buy the necessary kits. Is there any shops near Taguig that i can buy? is there in Tiendesitas? TIA
popodc
reefphilippines member

Postby roland_0313 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:01 pm

Post a "For Adoption" thread for faster response...

For the equipment, if you can't go to Cartimar for what ever reason, you can visit the fevmarine web site. Ritchie has everything you need and will deliver to your place as soon as the next day (though I think it's additional P80.00 per item for the delivery charge). However, if you can visit his place, it's in Cubao area (his website has the map and directions how to get there).
50 gallon standard size
20 gallon sump
DIY Denitrator
Purigen
Refugium
roland_0313
reefphilippines member

Postby popodc » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:11 pm

How about the tank i bought? is the filter and lights ok?
popodc
reefphilippines member

Postby roland_0313 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:17 pm

You can do with the lights for now... just have them changed once you're ready to add corals

With your filtration, I believe that one is designed for freshwater. I haven't used any overhead filtration system so hopefully someone else can give you a better feedback, but as far as I know, there are better overhead filters out there that you can buy, with more layers and compartments.
50 gallon standard size
20 gallon sump
DIY Denitrator
Purigen
Refugium
roland_0313
reefphilippines member

Postby Leica » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:16 pm

Dapat sa ibang tindahan sa carti ipasara na, nanloloko ng tao :mrgreen: