where to get softies and care

A forum for people who are obsessed with keeping Soft corals.

where to get softies and care

Postby Reedreef » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:45 am

Hi guys

I'm new to the hobby and right now i have a 30 gallon tank with 8 assorted fish and 1 coral. my lighting is 2 14w 6500k T5s
I just want to know where can i get softies so that i can get softies and what are the requirements to have them thrive in my tank, I need to know as well where to buy the (HO) T5s so i can get started with my soft coral only tank tnx in advance for the people who will reply
Reedreef
reefphilippines member

Re: where to get softies and care

Postby danggit » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:32 pm

Hi Reedreef,

I usually get mine from the buy and sell section on this forum or the sponsors here. I used to get them from cartimar but i have had an inconvenient experience with aiptasia. Nothing against Carti, they do have great livestock at times as long as you know how to check for parasites/pests...As for care, I am no expert by any means but would say its hard to generalize care for softies or any 'group' of corals, there is a LOT and you have to read up on the ones you like - to see if you are willing to spend time and money to support them. Here is a good start:

http://www.liveaquaria.com

I think they have Soft, LPS, SPS sections and have very clear and concise explanation of requirements.

I dont know where to get HO T5's, maybe the others can help. If I may suggest, I think LEDs are cheaper to operate in the long run and I personally have had success with a good brand...though the initial spend will probably be more expensive than your tank...hehe. :D Whether you go Bulb or LEDs, here is a link you may find helpful (long read but worth it):

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com ... hting.html

HTH
danggit
reefphilippines member

Return to Soft Coral Keepers