[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - Growing Chaeto and Maintaining Chaeto

Growing Chaeto and Maintaining Chaeto

A forum to discuss the requirements and care of macroalgaes

Growing Chaeto and Maintaining Chaeto

Postby noricng » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:25 pm

To all experienced Chaeto MacroAlgae Users:

I am sure that throwing Chaeto into your sump is not equal to the chaeto automatically growing, I have read that some die off and some do flourish. I am new to the reef hobby and thus would require a lot of the expert's guidance.

I have started this topic hoping that all experienced reefers can give their input as to how they properly grow and prune their Chaeto so that newbies like me can learn how to properly grow one and help circulate the Chaeto to fellow reefers in need :-)

Guide questions:

1. Placement (floating in sump)
2. Lighting used (type of light, how many watts, brand)
3. Photo Period (in hours)
4. Tumbled (Y/N)
5. Method of Tumble (pump, wave maker)
6. When to cut and share?
7. Optimum water parameters for growth? (salinity, temp, phosphate and nitrate levels)
8. When do you say its RIP for your Chaeto? (description when its dead or dying)
9. Emergency procedures? (When you see your chaeto almost going to die, do you do anything to prevent it?)
10. Supplements? (Do you dose anything to maintain growth of chaeto? (iron? carbon?)

Thank you to All who will share and impart their expert experiences. And to all the great and generous people who have eagerly donated Chaeto to friends and soon to be friends, I salute you for your gratuity. God Bless to all.
noricng
reefphilippines member

Re: Growing Chaeto and Maintaining Chaeto

Postby aarongo222 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:48 pm

Contact #: 0922-822-0290
| |
aarongo222
reefphilippines member

Postby arvin » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:21 am

Im interested in this topic, sana someone can explain why lights on sa chaeto when lights off sa display? why not sabay? i started my chaeto 2 weeks ago (thanks to ron), its still green no sign of death, but its not growing. i use 3 watts LED only kasi, around 10 hrs (9pm-7am). The thing is, i see no significant effect sa nitrate level ko ...
arvin
reefphilippines member

Postby noricng » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:16 am

Thanks aarongo222 for the information given. A lot of newbie reefers like me will appreciate this.

Hi arvin, if I am not mistaken the reverse photoperiod being implemented is to ensure that CO2 levels are in check (higher CO2 equals lower PH in our tanks), normally during "night/no light" time plants start to expel CO2 more than oxygen. So what most reefers do is to turn their lights on in their refugium or sump where the macro algae is situated and let the macroalgae perform photosynthesis (Use CO2 to produce O2) while their main display tanks' light is out.

I need other experts to confirm this as I just read this in other articles.

Arvin, On the issue of your nitrate level may we know what levels are they before and after the chaeto addition? also if you have phosphate levels?
noricng
reefphilippines member

Postby actino » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:19 am

no growth = no nitrate absorbed

I am not sure but 3 watts might not be enough or you might have placed it too far away from the chaeto. Also increase the amount of time lights on the chaeto are turned on. Play around with settings of light. Not everything is set in stone.
actino
reefphilippines member

Postby actino » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:21 am

actino
reefphilippines member

Postby noricng » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:22 am

Let me share this from http://www.liveaquaria.com

Chaetomorpha sp.

Care Level: Moderate
Temperament: Peaceful
Reef Compatible: Yes
Lighting: High
Waterflow: Medium
Placement: Bottom to Middle
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.023-1.025
Color Form: Green
Supplements: Magnesium, Trace Elements, Iron
Compatibility: View Chart
Origin: Aquacultured - USA

overview
Chaetomorpha Algae, also known as Spaghetti Algae or Green Hair Algae, is an excellent macro algae for refugiums. Each cell grows end to end, creating long, stiff strands. It grows in filamentous clumps, resembling a ball of fishing line. Cheatomorpha is a fast growing, hardy algae that is normally grown in a refugium where it absorbs nitrate and phosphate out of the water as it grows. Additionally this algae is a great habitat for microfauna such as copepods and amphipods to reside and populate.
Chaetomorpha Algae removes both phosphates and nitrates from the water. To increase the amount of nutrients this algae exports, use moderate to high lighting and keep it in an area of high water flow. It should ideally be tumbled in an algae filter.
noricng
reefphilippines member

Postby noricng » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:30 am

Hi Actino, thank you for joining our topic. Is it possible for you to fill in your inputs for the guide questions? A lot of newbie reefers would greatly appreciate the experience you can share. I understand that each tank is different and you are truly correct that not everything is set on stone.
Each newbie will be able to tweak their settings/parameters based on your valuable inputs :-)
noricng
reefphilippines member

Postby michuelo » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:35 am

hi guys makikisali lang.....

in my experience cheato grows more faster in a rich in mineral salt water.... i tried to grow in two different tanks 1 is reef and aged for almost 2years now..... the other one is 8months tank fowlr mas mabilis lumaki ang chaeto ko sa fowlr..... having the chaeto tummbling a bit sa sump chamber to have a balanced light recieved kapag di nat tutumble mapapansin mo yung ilalim na lumalambot ang magsisimula na sya mag wither.....i grow my chaeto, yung mga pinagpalitan ko ng nag wc ako iniipon ko muna sa bucket.... then nilalagay ko sa bucket kasama ang chaeto nlalagyan ko ng maliit n powerhead pra umikot ang tubig then binibilad ko every morning and hapon sa labas...

with sharing chaeto be careful baka ma cut mo yung mother colony nya yan din ang nagiging cause ng biglang death ng chaeto.... madami na ako napamigay na chaeto nagtaka ako nun bigla nalang nalusawthinking might be the mother colony i cut.
matador lights and red horse dosing with marlboro lights

0921-290-5660
michuelo
reefphilippines member

Postby noricng » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi Michuelo, thank you for joining our topic.

May we know the following info from you?

2. Lighting used (type of light, how many watts, brand)
3. Photo Period (in hours)
7. Optimum water parameters for growth? (salinity, temp, phosphate and nitrate levels)
10. Supplements? (Do you dose anything to maintain growth of chaeto? (iron? carbon?)

Thank you also about the "Mother Colony" information, it is the first time I have heard of it and definitely it is a valuable information. :-)
noricng
reefphilippines member

Postby thurrmac » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:08 pm

growing cheato thurrmac style :twisted:

- 2 pcs. 24w philips tornado cool white or daylight
- 18hours illumination
- 6-8 hours darkness (rest period)
- put in a shallow part of the sump do not allow chaeto submerge deeply. hindi maka penetrate
ang cfl pag mamalim. add liverocks na lang para maging shallow
- make sure na binabaligtad mo yun cheato every other day para yun bottom
part naman ang naiilawan din
- pag compacted na sya loosen it up a bit using your fingers
- pag sobrang kapal na trim na agad punit style then donate to others.
- make sure you have readings on nitrate and phosphate
- pwede ka mag budbud ng onteng fish food sa cheato to invite
pods
- thats it goodluck
thurrmac
reefphilippines member

Postby actino » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:43 pm

actino
reefphilippines member

Postby noricng » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:22 pm

Thank you very much Actino and Thurrmac for your inputs. We greatly appreciate it.
noricng
reefphilippines member

Postby arvin » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:13 pm

arvin
reefphilippines member

Postby arvin » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:22 pm

arvin
reefphilippines member

Next

Return to Macroalgae Forum