[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - strong or weak ligh

strong or weak ligh

A forum for people who are obsessed with keeping SPS corals.

strong or weak ligh

Postby redadeath » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:26 am

i have 400 watt *2
over sps tank

the sps is only 20 cm from the surface and the lamps is only 25 cm

they are wild acropora
is that too much ligh that can make coral turn brown

i also didnt acclimate when i changed from 250 watt to 400 watt
redadeath
reefphilippines member

Re: strong or weak ligh

Postby thurrmac » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:30 am

thurrmac
reefphilippines member

Postby redadeath » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:11 am

Yes radium
redadeath
reefphilippines member

Postby thurrmac » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:47 am

ill be more concern on temperature than light because acroporas
require high intensity light in the first place...
thurrmac
reefphilippines member

Postby wolfpak » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:48 pm

if it turned brown, check your water temp and parameters. my best bet would be, high phosphate or nitrate

wolfpak
reefphilippines supporter

Postby yoki » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:22 pm

200 gal
Ai sol blue
nbw 200 skimmer
Biopellet
phos reactor,rowaphos media
denitrator diy
Mp40esw
diy vodka, gkucose, cal, mag, stront, alk,k+, iron, iodine
hailea chiller
32hf return pump
LS sps and lps
yoki
reefphilippines member

Postby redadeath » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:03 pm

yes friends
my po4 is not detectable on salifret
also i have teco chiller my temp is set to 26 c

i run refugee with chaeto and turf scrubber

calcium
and magnesium and kh is stable
dosing 2 part randies

wild corals all people are talking about its browning

i read a thread in the internet it says that strong light makes coral brown and this what farmers do for making it grow quickly then they set it down to proper depth to make it color back

i think i have no more chance with wild acropora
redadeath
reefphilippines member

Postby redadeath » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:06 pm

redadeath
reefphilippines member

Postby redadeath » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:59 am

do u think better to run LED light?
redadeath
reefphilippines member

Postby christian » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:05 am

browning of wild caught corals in my experience are caused by: high phosphates and lack of flow...

all my sps comes from the wild. i experienced browning as well before and found out that high phosphates and lack of flow caused it. but also found out that when the problems are solved, brown sps corals will turn into beauties again. also experience getting brown sps from the wild and most of the time hidden gems comes from wild brown sps.

you can also monitor your ph, also found out that sps will be so much colorful when your ph is stable. no big fluctuation of ph is good.

also monitor your alk, most of the time alk is the culprit of stn or rtn.

back to your question, too much light in sps will just caused rtn and eventually bleached sps corals.

in focusing on your phosphates, it is understood that your nitrates are Zero... it is given that a tank should have a zero nitrates before it can flourish to have colorful sps.

hth
desperately trying to find new ways to ease reefkeeping... :)

75 gallons reef tank:
viewtopic.php?t=1761

180 gallons reef tank of my parents:
viewtopic.php?t=6211

275 gallons reef tank:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9506
christian
reefphilippines supporter

Postby yoki » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:20 pm

Only had browning issue during the first few months of intruduction of wild sps and when i transfered to my new home, i guess the big culprit is when they are stressed. But they will slowly recover if you correct the problem.
200 gal
Ai sol blue
nbw 200 skimmer
Biopellet
phos reactor,rowaphos media
denitrator diy
Mp40esw
diy vodka, gkucose, cal, mag, stront, alk,k+, iron, iodine
hailea chiller
32hf return pump
LS sps and lps
yoki