[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - Something weird happened to my acan!

Something weird happened to my acan!

A forum for people who are obsessed with keeping LPS corals.

Something weird happened to my acan!

Postby ryanuy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:46 am

Something weird happened to my acan yesterday. i have a 120g tank with a 50g sump and I have quite a few acans in my tank and everyone is doing great except for this one acan and i have never had any problems with any of them till today. This tank has been online for about 2 months and all the acans have been with me since the very start. When i turned on the light this morning, a head disappeared in the said acan like it was eaten coz the skeleton is still there. the missing head is in the middle part of the rock which makes it weirder because its like that particular head was attacked.

I feed all my LPS tiny chopped shrimp about 2 times a week and there have been no problems with that as well since they are all growing and i can even see tiny heads springing up at the sides of the rock.

I checked my water parameters and everything is fine so im sure its not an issue with the water.

My most immediate suspect would be one of my livestock eating it. I have

1 purple tang
1 mystery wrassse
2 ocellaris clowns
1 royal gramma
1 bangaii cardinal
1 mandarin fish
3 cleaner shrimp

i read up on all of them before i added them and they are all supposed to be reef safe. do you think one of them may be munching on the acan? or could it be a hitch hiking crab?
ryanuy
reefphilippines member

Re: Something weird happened to my acan!

Postby phantom » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:55 am

did you cycle your tank?

my best guess is that that particular head died. thats why its detached from the colony.
Rimless 16gal 18"x18"x12" : 03.06.09

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life.Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary. -Steve Jobs
phantom
reefphilippines member

Postby ryanuy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:05 pm

yes i properly cycled my tank for one month and i checked the water parameters. nothing else has anything weird happening with them! just the one acan with the one missing head! haha
ryanuy
reefphilippines member

Postby phantom » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:12 pm

one month cycle? what method?
Rimless 16gal 18"x18"x12" : 03.06.09

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life.Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary. -Steve Jobs
phantom
reefphilippines member

Postby ryanuy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:27 pm

live rock. i did it quite slowly and i seeded the tank with MB7 as well.
ryanuy
reefphilippines member

Postby gonzaimaki » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:19 am

Success is to be measured, not so much by the position that one has reached in life...
but by the obstacles which he has overcome...
gonzaimaki
reefphilippines member

Postby jomskie_Ad » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:20 pm

nowadays di na kailangan matagalang cycle, IME nung magsimula ako ng reef tank i was informed about a product called bio sphera, some kind of instant cycle, ummm paalala lang po experience ko lang share ko im not promoting this product, pero after i have everything in the tank, sand, water rock the following day day naglagay na ako ng LS and it went well since then hanggang mag upgrade ako ng tank,

siguro picture ng acan mo na namatay, sorry for ur loss bro, im an avid acan reefer too, i have 12 different acan as of now, medyo marami diseases ang acanm barkada ko dito na mahilig din sa acan na wipe out ang acans nya na more than 30 colony because of a pest or bacteria, since wala pic kung ano nangyari sa acan mo do a preventive maintenance kung meron ka ibang tank na pwede mo ilipat ung ibang acan do it and then just observe them, try getting a microscope and see whats going on, meron outbreak ngaun dito sa arizona ng AEFW, but that is for sps but who knows di ba? prevention is better than cure
the only hindrance between us and what we want is ourselves
------------------------------------------------------------------------

current tank info:

180 gl Oceanic bowfront
70 gl sump/refugium
reef octopus skimmer
TLF phosban
litermeter ATO
Aquamedic ocean light 3 x 250w 15k and 2 150w 20k
2 K3 powerhead
1 K2 powerhead
PCX-55HP return pump