[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - Newbie need help on nano

Newbie need help on nano

A forum for people interested in keeping nano tanks

Newbie need help on nano

Postby rgnoval » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:47 pm

Im a newbie from cebu and i plan to build a 10gallon nano tank. Based from my research i need the ff. items:
1. 10 gallon aquarium with sump
- will internal(built-in) sump do or is separate better?
2. Protein skimmer
- what are some good quality protein skimmer?
3. Pump
- how many do i need?
4. Powerhead
- do i need one?
5. Heater
- is it still needed?
6. Lighting
- i plan to have LED, any recommendation?
7. Test kit, hydrometer, live rock, live sand
-Anything else i still lack?
-will 10k be sufficient for this setup?

Your advise would be really helpful
rgnoval
reefphilippines member

Re: Newbie need help on nano

Postby luckyme » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:51 pm

newbie with 20gal here

I'll try to answer based on what i know
(it is still best to wait for replies of experienced reefers)

- will internal(built-in) sump do or is separate better

AFAIK this depends on how you want it but keep the ff: in mind
- a larger tank = more water volume
- more water volume = less parameter / water chemistry swings
- less parameter / water chemistry swings = better for our livestocks

2. Protein skimmer

reef octopus ung laging recommended.
go for a skimmer overrated for your tank size - ganito madals ung recommendations

3. Pump
- depende sa setup mo kung may sump or wala.
- pero kung water flow ung concern mo pwede rin wave makers.. kahit 1 small lang cguro

4. Powerhead
- do i need one?
- para saan mo po gagamitin?

5. Heater
- is it still needed?

maintain mo lang 26c-29c kaw na magassess kung need mo pa ng heater

6. Lighting

par38 from aquariatech..ready to use na..
luckyme
reefphilippines member

Postby seth » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:03 pm

Hi and welcome to RP!

Let me try to give some ideas:

1. An all-in-one system for that size would be better than having a separate sump. It will be easier to clean and you will only need a small pump.

2.if you would add a skimmer, try checking out Marine Sources. I am not sure if Reef Octopus have anything that can fit a tank that small. You may also DIY. Search for DIY Mame Skimmer.

3. For an AIO tank, a small 15000 lp/h pump should be enough.

4. See number 3.

5. No. For our climate you may even need to put your tank in an airconditioned room or use fans or chiller. Keep the tank at about 27-28c. 29 should be your threshold. 30 would be stressful enough for most corals.

6.PAR38/40 from aquariatech

7. That would be fine. Just don't rush your tank. Start slowly, don't overstock and just do regular WCs and you're good to go.

You may also want to check out EJAbadesco's tank, very well-planned and very simple. No fancy equipment.
http://www.reefphilippines.com/forums/v ... m.php?f=21
Cheers,
Marty

seth
reefphilippines member

Postby seth » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:07 pm

Just to add, having a small system will limit the number and type of fishes you may add. For a 10 gallon tank, 2-3 nano fishes would be the most you could put in.

Don't add too much liverocks. A small rock or two would be sufficient. Habulin mo yung water volume.
Cheers,
Marty

seth
reefphilippines member

Postby rgnoval » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:48 pm

Thanks po sa mga advise nyo. San po kaya makabili ng reef octopus skimmer? Meron kaya online seller? Ilang lights kaya kailangan ko?
rgnoval
reefphilippines member

Postby seth » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:57 pm

Reef octopus kay aquariatech din. Kung standard 10gal o kaya naman custom cube, isang PAR38 lang okay na. Check mo lang yung sponsors forums natin.
Cheers,
Marty

seth
reefphilippines member

Postby sc0lex » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:58 am

Taga-asa ka sa Cebu? (cebu pud ko ^ ^)

Anyway to answer your questions:

- will internal(built-in) sump do or is separate better?

Internal is fine if that's what your tank has already. I only even have a crappy canister filter. If you plan to use a skimmer, something to consider would be the size of the chamber in your internal sump. You will need to find a good nano sized skimmer that would fit in it.

2. Protein skimmer

Go for the name brands (Reef octopus). I bought a resun skimmer and it was -meh-. You need a good skimmer if you plan to keep sps, but for softies and easier to keep LPS you can go skimmerless. ;)

3. Pump
- how many do i need?

I have one koralia nano (you can buy this at Piper's). But how many will depend on your livestock (what corals are you planning to keep?). Try one k-nano, and if it's too gentle for you you can add another one.

I'm assuming your built in sump has a pump too? If not, you will need a small pump for your built in sump's return.

4. Powerhead
- do i need one?

I am assuming this is for flow reasons? Answer in #3

5. Heater
- is it still needed?

Nope. Chiller might be needed though if you plan to keep SPS. I have a fan for my bulbs and partly for the tank.

6. Lighting

PAR38 bulb from sir peter.

7. Test kit, hydrometer, live rock, live sand
-Anything else i still lack?

You lack tank build pics. :) What media are you using in your sump? (I'm assuming you have activated carbon) I would recommend Seachem matrix (you can get this at Piper's...no, I'm not a Piper's employee). It's rocks (pumice I think) and it works the same way live rocks do. The rocks float though (very porous and can trap air) so you might need to put them in a bag in your sump (pantyhose works well. ;) ). You can also try some purigen.

You will need some 5 gallon containers to hold your saltwater too. You can opt to make your own salt water using purified water or get natural saltwater.

-will 10k be sufficient for this setup?

more than enough in my opinion.

Now would be a good time to research on possible livestock. It would be best to start on the "easy" corals (mushrooms, zoas, etc..), but it's not easy to acquire these in Cebu. :( I get mine from the beach. This is a good article from a fellow reefer: http://www.chucksaddiction.com/reefcoll ... rtone.html if you want to collect on your own. Seth's advice is a good one too. Research on the kinds of fish you can keep in a nano tank and find how many you can keep in a 10 gallon.

Apologies for the wall of text, and happy reefing.
sc0lex
reefphilippines member

Postby khuran » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:34 pm

plan ahead, at 10G nano, what is your intended livestock? what are your plans for waterchange?

Beware of wolves in sheep's clothing.
From Harbinger of DOOM, to PraiseMaster in a snap!
khuran
reefphilippines member

Postby rgnoval » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:22 pm

Im still planning ahead sir and havent bought any equipment yet. As of now, my plan is building a AIO tank same as immortalbreaker with resun sk300, 1 wavemaker, 1return pump and i plan to keep soft, mushroom, zoas. I will do my research first before buying all the stuff.
rgnoval
reefphilippines member

Return to Nano Tanks