360G Reef ni Paul

A forum for people interested in keeping large reef tanks. This forum is dedicated to water volumes of 150 gallons and larger.

Re: 360G Reef ni Paul

Postby paulmt8 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:26 pm

seth wrote:Listen to Anthony, mentor ko yan. Hehe

+1 on Rey's advice. Gawa na rin concrete sump. Hehehe

Tara, beer? Kaso anlayo! Hahaha!

Sige seth sched tayo 2 bottles kapag nasa QC area ako
100g 72x18x18 DT / 50g Sump
Hailea HC-500A Chiller
Reef Octopus NWB200
Jebao DC-12000 return pump
1x Jebao WP25, 1x Jebao WP40
84x 3W LED DIY
GFO and Biopellet TLF Reactors
Reef Angel Contoller
paulmt8
reefphilippines member

Postby paulmt8 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:00 pm

christian wrote:having a big tank almost same size as yours... running since 2008 i think...
here are some of my unsolicited advise... hope you wont mind...

i suggest the following:

1. drainage under the tank
2. exhaust fan
3. using condenser plus dip coil as chiller
4. invest using apex or digital aquatics controller - will make your life easier
5. metal stand instead of wood. C-channel is best. dont use wood because its very hassle with all the wood columns needed for structural integrity. my tank have four post only.
6. use tempered glass. much safer and the glass is not easily scratch
7. dont construct the tank yet specially the sump. buy the skimmer first so that you will know how big will be your sump.
8. consider adding another chamber in your sump. instead of 3 chambers, go for 4, so that all your reactors like biopellets, carbon and other reactors can be place. for sure you can even go 5 chambers because you have a big main tank and usually you have all the space below the main tank for sump
9. at least 3 overflow pipes for safety
10. consider buying auto doser, for that size you will have problem in balancing your calcium, alkalinity and magnesium if your going to use kalk. and if you decide to use calcium reactor, i found out that its easier to use dosing method
11. for water change, ill rather go for natural sea water. one of the highest cost in this size of the tank is water change. so the problem is parasites. what i do is i bought 15 50 gallons blue drum. i purchase water via delivery 10 drums at a time. i stock it for at least 2 months. and use it for water change. cheaper and better i think rather using salt mix.
12. and also i use 3/4 glass sa buttom of my tank... its safer...
13. vortech is better than tunze hands down
14. invest in a tunze auto top off... one of the best investment i ever had

hope you wont mind my advices... thanks for reading...

Thanks Christian for sharing. Actually I'm using your tank as a guide for this build.

CHECK

2. exhaust fan

CHECK

I have 1/2HP chiller. I still don't know what to do.

4. invest using apex or digital aquatics controller - will make your life easier.

I have reef angel but yes I will invest in Apex

5. metal stand instead of wood. C-channel is best. dont use wood because its very hassle with all the wood columns needed for structural integrity. my tank have four post only. -

Right now I'm exploring the use of metal stand.

6. use tempered glass. much safer and the glass is not easily scratch -

CHECK

7. dont construct the tank yet specially the sump. buy the skimmer first so that you will know how big will be your sump.

CHECK

8. consider adding another chamber in your sump. instead of 3 chambers, go for 4, so that all your reactors like biopellets, carbon and other reactors can be place. for sure you can even go 5 chambers because you have a big main tank and usually you have all the space below the main tank for sump -

design of sump not yet final. Need to consider inputs of all the masters :)

9. at least 3 overflow pipes for safety -

CHECK

10. consider buying auto doser, for that size you will have problem in balancing your calcium, alkalinity and magnesium if your going to use kalk. and if you decide to use calcium reactor, i found out that its easier to use dosing method -

I have Jebao doser which will be modified using Apex controller.

11. for water change, ill rather go for natural sea water. one of the highest cost in this size of the tank is water change. so the problem is parasites. what i do is i bought 15 50 gallons blue drum. i purchase water via delivery 10 drums at a time. i stock it for at least 2 months. and use it for water change. cheaper and better i think rather using salt mix. - Actually I'm also considering this.

According to grahf11, the cost of 1500g of saltwatet is only 1500.

12. and also i use 3/4 glass sa buttom of my tank... its safer... -

CHECK

13. vortech is better than tunze hands down -

out of budget :) I will use Jebao

- is auto top off included in Apex controller?

hope you wont mind my advices... thanks for reading.
Last edited by paulmt8 on Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hailea HC-500A Chiller
Reef Octopus NWB200
84x 3W LED DIY
Reef Angel Contoller
paulmt8
reefphilippines member

Postby paulmt8 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:04 pm

trggerman wrote:there is something i've always wanted but dont gave the space for it. its an external mixing tank.

If you the space and get a couple of those big white square plastic container like this

then avail of the saltwater water delivery for maybe 2000 pesos per truck, automate the process then you have a 10% water change every other day.

I already checked the price of this tote bin in sulit. It's around 4k. If I will use NSW instead of saltmix, I need around 6 of this. The truck can deliver 1,500g. The volume of this bin is 250g

Maybe if I decide to use NSW I need to skim first and use UV before I do water change
Hailea HC-500A Chiller
Reef Octopus NWB200
84x 3W LED DIY
Reef Angel Contoller
paulmt8
reefphilippines member

Postby paulmt8 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:10 pm

nanokiper wrote:@ Paul, will let you know pag may free weekend. Thanks
@ Marty...mas marami ka alam, you deserve to be RP's mentor :)

Sharing a simple tap off logic control diagram. Preset pumping time of make up water; trouble lamp is activated during abnormal operation:
1. pump malfunction
2. float switch malfunction
3. desired water level in the tank is not achieved
4. insufficient water supply

Above diagram can be set either in PLC or conventional industrial controller

Wow parang na miss ko yung ganitong schematic diagram. Alam ko basahin to dati nung ECE student pa ako. Ngayon ahente na kasi ako hehehe. Thanks master Anthony. I will consider.
Hailea HC-500A Chiller
Reef Octopus NWB200
84x 3W LED DIY
Reef Angel Contoller
paulmt8
reefphilippines member

Postby seth » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:27 pm

Prefilter with filter sock (very important, especially when stocking for long periods of time) or mat then carbon would be good enough for NSW, Paul. Christian's NSW stocking suggestion is good, sure ka na hindi maiinfect ang isda mo kapag matagal nastock ang NSW. You may want to canvass for other sources of the container mentioned by trggerman, may mas mura pa sa 4k minsan. Baka makadaan ka along Marcos Highway bago mag Sta. Lucia, maraming dealers dun.

Si Dexter (dorado) NSW+DIY salt dati. Nakastock lang sa 8 50-gallon drums yung NSW okay naman. Basta aerate mo muna bago gamitin para parehas ng pH.

Beer and softdrinks daw next get together. Hope our hobby seniors can join as well. :D
Cheers,
Marty

My Tank / Skeptical Reefkeeping by R.Ross
Reef Aquarium Chemistry by R.H. Farley / Chemistry Calculator by JDieck / Aquarium Calculators by Hamza

Comply before you complain, Discipline before Democracy.
Welcome to Reef Philippines!

Support the community by buying from our sponsors.
Follow the advice you need to know, not the one you want to hear. :D
seth
reefphilippines member

Postby paulmt8 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:24 am

Kung mag NSW na rin ako, what will stop me to make the tank bigger. Let say I make it 96x36x30 -450g tank. Ano kaya size ng chiller na kailangan ko dito? For leds feeling ko pwede pa rin yung DIY plan ko.
Hailea HC-500A Chiller
Reef Octopus NWB200
84x 3W LED DIY
Reef Angel Contoller
paulmt8
reefphilippines member

Postby seth » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:39 am

A tank that big will need 3/4" thick glasses with corner braces (reinforcement at the seams). Get the best silicone you could buy. Either GE or Dow Corning. GE SCS1200 being preferred by most large tank owners.

Wala atang available dito na chiller para sa ganyan kalaki, you may want to check with Peter about that. I also agree with Christian re drip coil chiller, downside lang nyan katabi dapat ng tank yung mismong unit. Check mo pa rin baka makulob yung init.
Cheers,
Marty

My Tank / Skeptical Reefkeeping by R.Ross
Reef Aquarium Chemistry by R.H. Farley / Chemistry Calculator by JDieck / Aquarium Calculators by Hamza

Comply before you complain, Discipline before Democracy.
Welcome to Reef Philippines!

Support the community by buying from our sponsors.
Follow the advice you need to know, not the one you want to hear. :D
seth
reefphilippines member

Postby obet_carlos » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:52 am

May plans ka na sa DIY LEDs? instead of using 3W LEDs, why dont you expplore using multichip LEDs.. Just imagine how long you will have to solder and place the 234 pcs of 3W LEDs.. Marty bought some newer LEDs.. Would you be using filter sock sa sump? or a dump area for the detritus.. What filtration/reactors would you be using? I second Christian's suggestion on using the dip coil chiller.. you can add 1 area of your sump for the dip coil.. It would save on space, and electricity.. think of the pump you will be needing to send enough water to a huge chiller to cool down your tank.. That's added consumption you can do without.. Hindi naman kailangan ata katabi ng tank yung condenser.. parang split type aircon lang ata yun..
obet_carlos
reefphilippines supporter

Postby paulmt8 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:44 am

seth wrote:A tank that big will need 3/4" thick glasses with corner braces (reinforcement at the seams). Get the best silicone you could buy. Either GE or Dow Corning. GE SCS1200 being preferred by most large tank owners.

Wala atang available dito na chiller para sa ganyan kalaki, you may want to check with Peter about that. I also agree with Christian re drip coil chiller, downside lang nyan katabi dapat ng tank yung mismong unit. Check mo pa rin baka makulob yung init.

Tama na yung 360, mahal ang 3/4 glass hehehe. Lakihan na lang ng sump
Hailea HC-500A Chiller
Reef Octopus NWB200
84x 3W LED DIY
Reef Angel Contoller
paulmt8
reefphilippines member

Postby paulmt8 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:55 am

obet_carlos wrote:May plans ka na sa DIY LEDs? instead of using 3W LEDs, why dont you expplore using multichip LEDs.. Just imagine how long you will have to solder and place the 234 pcs of 3W LEDs.. Marty bought some newer LEDs.. Would you be using filter sock sa sump? or a dump area for the detritus.. What filtration/reactors would you be using? I second Christian's suggestion on using the dip coil chiller.. you can add 1 area of your sump for the dip coil.. It would save on space, and electricity.. think of the pump you will be needing to send enough water to a huge chiller to cool down your tank.. That's added consumption you can do without.. Hindi naman kailangan ata katabi ng tank yung condenser.. parang split type aircon lang ata yun..

Meron na rin plan and parts for the LEDs. I will post in a while. Sanay naman ako mag solder kasi ECE ako :). Hindi ako talaga fan ng multi chip kasi hindi diffused ang light source. Nag photography din kasi ako. May mga principles na hindi good ang multichip. Sa photography umiiwas sa super bright light source kaya kapag nag flash ka in door, mas natural ang color ng subject kapag nag bounce ka sa ceiling or you use softbox and reflectors like umbrella to spread the light source. Kapag outdoor its better to shoot early morning or near sunset kasi diffused na ang light coming from the sun. Kapag noon time kailangan mo mag fill in flash para mabawasan lang ang shadows and hindi ma wash out ang colors.

Yup i have 7in socks na may plastic rings. Yes theres dump area for detritus. I will use biopelets, gfo and carbon reactors.

Meron ba kayo link ng details ng dip coil?
Last edited by paulmt8 on Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hailea HC-500A Chiller
Reef Octopus NWB200
84x 3W LED DIY
Reef Angel Contoller
paulmt8
reefphilippines member

Postby christian » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:51 am

paulmt8 wrote:
christian wrote:having a big tank almost same size as yours... running since 2008 i think...
here are some of my unsolicited advise... hope you wont mind...

i suggest the following:

2. exhaust fan
4. invest using apex or digital aquatics controller - will make your life easier
5. metal stand instead of wood. C-channel is best. dont use wood because its very hassle with all the wood columns needed for structural integrity. my tank have four post only.
6. use tempered glass. much safer and the glass is not easily scratch
8. consider adding another chamber in your sump. instead of 3 chambers, go for 4, so that all your reactors like biopellets, carbon and other reactors can be place. for sure you can even go 5 chambers because you have a big main tank and usually you have all the space below the main tank for sump
9. at least 3 overflow pipes for safety
10. consider buying auto doser, for that size you will have problem in balancing your calcium, alkalinity and magnesium if your going to use kalk. and if you decide to use calcium reactor, i found out that its easier to use dosing method
11. for water change, ill rather go for natural sea water. one of the highest cost in this size of the tank is water change. so the problem is parasites. what i do is i bought 15 50 gallons blue drum. i purchase water via delivery 10 drums at a time. i stock it for at least 2 months. and use it for water change. cheaper and better i think rather using salt mix.
12. and also i use 3/4 glass sa buttom of my tank... its safer...
13. vortech is better than tunze hands down

hope you wont mind my advices... thanks for reading...

Thanks Christian for sharing. Actually I'm using your tank as a guide for this build.

CHECK

2. exhaust fan

CHECK

I have 1/2HP chiller. I still don't know what to do.
- i think with your size 1/2 chiller wont bring down the temp. and chiller is not that efficient in that size of a tank. and if you will place the chiller inside your tank room, it will bring heat again to the tank. i suggest a aircondition condenser 1hp. condenser place outside the house. my conderser is place around 25 meters away from the tank. ask your contractor to place two copper tubes from your tank room to the place where your condenser be located. ask peter to purchase a titanium dip coil for the attachment of the condenser on your tank.

4. invest using apex or digital aquatics controller - will make your life easier.

I have reef angel but yes I will invest in Apex
- if you have reef angel, maybe it will work naman.. sayang naman kasi...

5. metal stand instead of wood. C-channel is best. dont use wood because its very hassle with all the wood columns needed for structural integrity. my tank have four post only. -

Right now I'm exploring the use of metal stand.
- metal stand kasi mas less complications... and also about rust, use marine epoxy and catalyst... the best... kahit wag mo na pa baked yun stand... mahal din kasi...

6. use tempered glass. much safer and the glass is not easily scratch -

CHECK

CHECK

8. consider adding another chamber in your sump. instead of 3 chambers, go for 4, so that all your reactors like biopellets, carbon and other reactors can be place. for sure you can even go 5 chambers because you have a big main tank and usually you have all the space below the main tank for sump -

design of sump not yet final. Need to consider inputs of all the masters :)

9. at least 3 overflow pipes for safety -

CHECK

10. consider buying auto doser, for that size you will have problem in balancing your calcium, alkalinity and magnesium if your going to use kalk. and if you decide to use calcium reactor, i found out that its easier to use dosing method -

I have Jebao doser which will be modified using Apex controller.
-jebao ata may controller naman na din na kasama... okay na din kahit di ilagay kasama ng apex or DA... kagandahan lang kasi sa mga controller na to ay centralized ang monitoring ng water parameters... Which is the most important sa reef keeping... honestly i reallize na ang lagi ko lang tinitignan na water parameters ay PH, salinity, temp.... the rest of other parameters ay base on observation ng livestock if they are happy or not...

11. for water change, ill rather go for natural sea water. one of the highest cost in this size of the tank is water change. so the problem is parasites. what i do is i bought 15 50 gallons blue drum. i purchase water via delivery 10 drums at a time. i stock it for at least 2 months. and use it for water change. cheaper and better i think rather using salt mix. - Actually I'm also considering this.

According to grahf11, the cost of 1500g of saltwatet is only 1500.
- thats why nsw is the way to go for big tanks...

12. and also i use 3/4 glass sa buttom of my tank... its safer... -

CHECK

13. vortech is better than tunze hands down -

out of budget :) I will use Jebao
-jabao reviews are good... okay na din yun....

- is auto top off included in Apex controller?
- pwede DIY water top off pero i find tunze super reliable and super easy to use...

hope you wont mind my advices... thanks for reading.
desperately trying to find new ways to ease reefkeeping... :)

75 gallons reef tank:
viewtopic.php?t=1761

180 gallons reef tank of my parents:
viewtopic.php?t=6211

275 gallons reef tank:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9506
christian

Postby christian » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:05 pm

seth wrote:Prefilter with filter sock (very important, especially when stocking for long periods of time) or mat then carbon would be good enough for NSW, Paul. Christian's NSW stocking suggestion is good, sure ka na hindi maiinfect ang isda mo kapag matagal nastock ang NSW. You may want to canvass for other sources of the container mentioned by trggerman, may mas mura pa sa 4k minsan. Baka makadaan ka along Marcos Highway bago mag Sta. Lucia, maraming dealers dun.

Si Dexter (dorado) NSW+DIY salt dati. Nakastock lang sa 8 50-gallon drums yung NSW okay naman. Basta aerate mo muna bago gamitin para parehas ng pH.

Beer and softdrinks daw next get together. Hope our hobby seniors can join as well. :D

yeah tama si seth prefilter... what i do is i asked the nsw delivery boy to use my prefilter sock... before i use skimmer, uv, carbon and GFO... pero after one year di na nag tuloy tuloy... so decided to just stock them for two months... and now okay naman lahat... :)

75 gallons reef tank:
viewtopic.php?t=1761

viewtopic.php?t=6211

275 gallons reef tank:
christian

Postby christian » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:06 pm

obet_carlos wrote:May plans ka na sa DIY LEDs? instead of using 3W LEDs, why dont you expplore using multichip LEDs.. Just imagine how long you will have to solder and place the 234 pcs of 3W LEDs.. Marty bought some newer LEDs.. Would you be using filter sock sa sump? or a dump area for the detritus.. What filtration/reactors would you be using? I second Christian's suggestion on using the dip coil chiller.. you can add 1 area of your sump for the dip coil.. It would save on space, and electricity.. think of the pump you will be needing to send enough water to a huge chiller to cool down your tank.. That's added consumption you can do without.. Hindi naman kailangan ata katabi ng tank yung condenser.. parang split type aircon lang ata yun..

yup correct split type condenser ang gamit ko... and its located outside the house... need long copper tubes lang... :)

75 gallons reef tank:
viewtopic.php?t=1761

viewtopic.php?t=6211

275 gallons reef tank:
christian

Postby christian » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:08 pm

if you want to see dip coil in operation... your always welcome to visit me in san pablo city laguna... i gladly entertain a fellow reef here in my house...

75 gallons reef tank:
viewtopic.php?t=1761

viewtopic.php?t=6211

275 gallons reef tank:
christian

Postby paulmt8 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:57 pm

christian wrote:if you want to see dip coil in operation... your always welcome to visit me in san pablo city laguna... i gladly entertain a fellow reef here in my house...

Wow lapit lang. Sta. Rosa lang ako. Sige tell me when are you available
Hailea HC-500A Chiller
Reef Octopus NWB200
84x 3W LED DIY
Reef Angel Contoller
paulmt8
reefphilippines member

PreviousNext