[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - Bioballs and sponges.

Bioballs and sponges.

Offer your help, ask questions, share ideas, & just have fun!

Bioballs and sponges.

Postby Fugu » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:51 am

When I started reefkeeping 3 years ago, almost everywhere I turned, I was told that bioballs are nitrate factories. Now, I know there are a lot of myths that are passed around and Jimsar's post from Anthony Calfo's book got me thinking that about some of my contributions may be one of those myths circulating the web. In any case, I came across this while I was reading posts at a Canadian site. I've been following this guys posts since he seems quite knowledgeable, his answers concise and factual. I've asked him to look into my system and fine tune my set up.

About bioballs and foam, a quote from Mr. Wilson, our resident expert: "As for the "nitrate factory" question. The idea that any type of biological media will add nitrate to your aquarium is a myth. Man-made biological filtration is redundant, but not harmful.

Nitrifying bacteria populates detritus, not the porous media site (rock, sand, sponge etc.). The ideology of removing the sponge to lower nitrate, would also advocate for a sand and rock-free tank.

Nitrifying bacteria will flourish if there is an abundance of food, namely ammonia and nitrite. If your system is inadequate, you will have nitrogenous compounds build-up and leave a residual of nitrate no matter what you do.

If you remove organic waste before it is converted by nitrifying bacteria, you will not experience a nitrate problem. It's one of those "who came first, the chicken or the egg?" scenarios. In the case of biological filtration, nitrogen compounds (ammonia & nitrite) must come first for residual nitrate to exist.

Proteins such as urea, amino acids, and phenols are converted to ammonia through a biological mineralization process known as deamination. The proper use of chemical filtration such as protein skimming, ozonation, UV sterilization, and physical adsorption (carbon, ion exchangers, polymeric adsorbents etc.), will by-pass the nitrification process and nip the problem of excess organic waste in the bud.

Even without these forms of mechanized filtration, water quality can be managed through the replication of natures balance. A healthy collection of corals and macro algae will reduce organic waste without the need for nitrification. Many successful aquariums are maintained with only a few pumps, artificial lighting and proper livestock selection."
Image Munch, Scream
Welcome to Reef Philippines
H&S skimmer.
Fugu

Postby jolt26 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:42 am

bioballs are used on FO tanks, particularly Direct Aquatic tanks here, and they are very successful. bioballs are ok, in these set ups. they do have good skimmers and denitrators. but for reef, we should use LR and DSB instead of bioballs since LR/sand will house microfauna and detrivores crucial for corals.

sponges are floss filters in this context, and not the live sponges, right? problem is, if you have floss filters, you trap the organic wastes here, instead of reaching your skimmer. if you don't clean/replace this filter, nitrifying bacteria flourish there. gaya ng sabi nya, bypass nitrification with "proper use of chemical filtration such as protein skimming, ozonation, UV sterilization, and physical adsorption (carbon, ion exchangers, polymeric adsorbents etc.)." this wont happen if we trap the dirt on floss filters and allow them to rot there.

tama ba? :?
Welcome to ReefPhilippines!

Hero of Rome

http://s1.gladiatus.ph/game/c.php?uid=18795
jolt26

Postby Fugu » Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:22 pm

Yes, thanks for clarifying this, Jolt. Based on Mr. Wilson's post, we already know these floss and sponge Filters traps detritus. And as a result, it will turn into ammonia and the nitrifying process is what will cause a nitrate spike. I doubt that the same can be said about bioballs since it does not trap detritus. I just find it interresting that there are so many ways of keeping a reef. The notion that bioballs are nitrate factories may just be a myth?
Image Munch, Scream
H&S skimmer.
Fugu

Postby jolt26 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:37 am

Hero of Rome

jolt26

Postby Fugu » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:48 am

Image Munch, Scream
H&S skimmer.
Fugu

Postby apol » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:21 pm

i think that it is also possible for the bioballs to trap detritus.
apol
reefphilippines supporter

Postby jolt26 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:41 pm

just like LR, sand and CC. possible din magtrap ng detritus. kaya you will need good water flow.

Hero of Rome

jolt26

Return to General Discussion