[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover

Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover

Offer your help, ask questions, share ideas, & just have fun!

Postby randell » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:09 am

Has anyone started this system yet here? It would be great if one of us can experiment and share the results.

This is just like 'alternative medicine'... people with interests or huge egos will always criticize it. If it works for you, then it's great!

My 2 cents.
80 gallon Rimless Elos Tank
Reef Maniac Beckette Skimmer
Eheim Return Pump
Marine Hub Lumenarc/Alanod Refloctors
250w Metal Hallide Lamps
Teco Chiller
SPS, LPS, etc.

http://randelltiongson.com/
Marine Hub @ Animal Depot (Metrowalk)
Follower of Jesus Christ
Honor God, Make Disciples
randell
reefphilippines supporter

Postby SantaMonica » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:44 am

Yes several are running the screens now. Other have done it in the past, but my job here is to post the new ones.
SantaMonica
reefphilippines member

Postby randell » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:07 am

80 gallon Rimless Elos Tank
Reef Maniac Beckette Skimmer
Eheim Return Pump
Marine Hub Lumenarc/Alanod Refloctors
250w Metal Hallide Lamps
Teco Chiller
SPS, LPS, etc.

http://randelltiongson.com/
Marine Hub @ Animal Depot (Metrowalk)
Follower of Jesus Christ
Honor God, Make Disciples
randell

Postby jackryan » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:08 pm

JackRyan's 225G 6'x2'x2.5' Tank Project

jackryan

Postby SantaMonica » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:41 pm

Not that I know of. This is the only Phil site I posted on.
SantaMonica
reefphilippines member

Postby SantaMonica » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:32 pm

Here's a rather ingenious screen-in-a-trashcan that someone just built. This type of design will eliminate evaporation (and cooling), if that's what you want. One thing I might change would be the distance of the bulb to the screen; it should be so close that it almost touches it. In all the builds I've seen so far, the ones that have slow growth always have the bulb too far away, or too small a wattage.

SantaMonica
reefphilippines member

Postby oggietiu » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:27 pm

I dont know if what I have works similar. The whole back portion of my tank serves as my overflow and its about 16 inches in height. I used the concept of charles by having somekind of waterfall effect on the overflow so it flows down the walls of my overflow down to the drain pipe. The lights from the main tank lights it up also cause i did not use any paint to hide my overflow.

Before I saw this thread i used to scrape all the algae that forms there (goes thick if not scrapped off for some time) now I just let them be. Its just ugly to look at so I might scrape it off again.
100 Gallon Mixed Tank
40 Gallon Sump
RO Phosphate Reactor
RO BK200 - Bubble King Skimmer
Resun 11W UV Filter
12 39 Watts T5 Assembly by Vin
HF 26 Return
2 Resun Wavemaker for flow.
oggietiu
reefphilippines member

Postby SantaMonica » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:36 pm

SantaMonica
reefphilippines member

Postby rav888 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:58 pm

wow another good option :) thanks for sharing.
============================

Rav888
rav888

Postby pong » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:12 am

pong
reefphilippines member

Postby SantaMonica » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:58 am

rav888: Glad you like this new option!

pong: Sounds exciting. Maybe a pic of the parts before start?

Here is an example of a screen that I wish were done better. He's using the skimmer output and dropping it right down on the screen at an angle, so that most of it goes through the screen. I'd rather see the water spread out across the screen. Also, the light is too far away. Thus, he got very little growth in the first seven days:

SantaMonica
reefphilippines member

Postby choypogi07 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:30 pm

so by spreading the water across the screen and having the light closer to it, there will be rapid growth of algae? from green-red-brown? was thinking of implementing this one on my 2nd tank.. still haven't seen a plastic screenie tho.. the gutter guards the ace people are giving me are still made of aluminum, which I know is bad for marine tanks..
choypogi07
reefphilippines member

Postby SantaMonica » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:06 pm

Yes that's it. Try a sewing store, or crafts supply store. I think it's called "knitting screen" or "plastic canvas" or "rug canvas", like this:

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp? ... rce=search
SantaMonica
reefphilippines member

Postby oggietiu » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:15 pm

100 Gallon Mixed Tank
40 Gallon Sump
RO Phosphate Reactor
RO BK200 - Bubble King Skimmer
Resun 11W UV Filter
12 39 Watts T5 Assembly by Vin
HF 26 Return
2 Resun Wavemaker for flow.
oggietiu
reefphilippines member

Postby SantaMonica » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:51 am

Today I thought I'd show what's up with my screen. I'm back to using just my main original bucket (that started with pre-grown screen), since the 2nd bucket that I used for the build thread is on loan to the lfs. I'll be posting progress pics of that soon. But for my tank/screen, N and P are zero of course. I check every day unless I forget. The main development has been true green turf, i.e, not green hair or slime. Now, hair and slime are always there (they grow right over everything else), but I started noticing that after regular cleanings there were still some green remaining. I thought I was just rushing and missing it, but it got to be too much green. So on the next cleaning I used the camera, and when cleaning I found for the first time true green turf. I also let it grow more than I normally would, so the pics would show more:

Here is the screen just before cleaning, looking down into the bucket (both sides looked about the same).

Hi-Res: http://www.radio-media.com/fish/ScreenB ... -27-08.jpg

Here is the screen pulled out (still not cleaned):

Hi-Res: http://www.radio-media.com/fish/ScreenB ... -27-08.jpg

Here is the screen after a regular cleaning (scrubbing) with fingernails and toothbrush. Note that tons of green remains:

Hi-Res: http://www.radio-media.com/fish/ScreenA ... -27-08.jpg

Here is the screen after scraping with a razor blade:

Hi-Res: http://www.radio-media.com/fish/ScreenA ... -27-08.jpg

Note how most of the green turf is on the top half of the screen, near the lights. The flow is the same; only the light is stronger near the top (the very top is only one inch from the lights). It had been exactly on one month since I'd used a razor before this. It took that long for the real turf to grow (both red/brown and green). Real turf takes so long because it is very tightly packed and strong, with very little water. It looks like the green turf grows a bit faster than the red/brown, however, and is not quite as strong; it grows longer too. However I still could not scrub it off with my fingernails or a toothbrush, no matter how hard I tried. Only the razor could get it off. Took about 5 minutes; not bad for a month of growing.

Anyways, intrigued by this green turf, I went down to the beach with a camera so I could search for what I've been wanting for a while: Pics of how real turf lives. Sure enough I found it on the pylings of the pier at Paradise Cove (just north of Malibu):

Hi-Res: http://www.radio-media.com/fish/TurfBeach.jpg

Hi-Res: http://www.radio-media.com/fish/TurfBeachCloseup.jpg

It's exacty what was on my screen. The white specs you see are sand. In order to get the second (closup) pic, I had to pinch the turf very hard and pull it out... like pulling out plant roots; then I held it up for the pic. Note also that it's low tide, which means that the turf holds its color and stays alive for many hours in direct sunlight with no water. Further down the beach I found the same turf on rocks that were 100 feet away from the water.

So, like I said before, real turf is used to living out of the water, and that's why I say that to simulate this (as Aday's machine does) you need some type of on-off-on pulsed flow, and the easiest way I could think to do this was a wavemaker timer (although, as I'll post soon, other folks are coming up with ingenious ways too.)

And again, the importance of light is clearly apparent with this green turf, since it grew no more that 6" away from the lights at the top. And lastly, it does look like some of the red/brown is being replaced by the green, which makes sense since the original red/brown came from IA with their different nutrients and lighting.
SantaMonica
reefphilippines member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion