[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton

Offer your help, ask questions, share ideas, & just have fun!

Phytoplankton

Postby charlesr1958 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:58 pm

For those of you who wish to culture your own phytoplankton, I got extremely lucky by having a marine species bloom in my little desk top tank. I took that 1/2 gallon of water and put it into a 5 litre jug, topped it off with ocean water and dosed it with a tiny bit of fertilizor and I now have at least 30 gallons of the stuff !! And it won't stop growing!! I pour large drinking glasses full of it into my system once a day, and once a night, and I still can not deplete it...lol

Some time ago, a friend in the states sent me some phytoplankton cultures in a petri dish and enough liquid fertilizor to make more than 10,000 litres of phytoplankton !! Well, the cultures never made it and am almost glad they did not because they were a real pain to culture. You always had to have everything sterilized and adjust the salinity down and test for it all the time. I got really sick and tired of it, but tried my best anyways since I had no other source.

The beauty of this species of phytoplankton is that it is extremely hardy, grows like crazy, does not need any special attention and takes just regular ocean strength saltwater. The large tub of it shown above is where I grow brine shrimp & copepods so that it creates a thick zooplankton soup which I then add any sexy shrimp and harlequin shrimp larvae in the hopes they will grow up in there.
The fertilizer I have grew that large tub of phytoplankton with just two small capfulls added !!

Anyways, if anyone wants a starter culture as well as some of the fertilizor, I can put together some small bottles of both that someone can pick up and take back to Manilla on their next trip to cebu.

Chuck
charlesr1958
reefphilippines member

Postby Hawkeye » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:19 pm

75g Main Tank 25Kls. LR/35Kls. 1.5" SB 50g sump
DSB 8", Cheato [ c/o rav888 THANKS ]
Reef Octopus DNW-110
Rio HF-17
Resun 15K wavemaker,Sunsun
T5 Lighting
Hawkeye
reefphilippines member

Postby charlesr1958 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:06 am

charlesr1958
reefphilippines member

Postby Hawkeye » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:19 am

75g Main Tank 25Kls. LR/35Kls. 1.5" SB 50g sump
DSB 8", Cheato [ c/o rav888 THANKS ]
Reef Octopus DNW-110
Rio HF-17
Resun 15K wavemaker,Sunsun
T5 Lighting
Hawkeye
reefphilippines member

Postby stannn_ » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:35 am

hahaha. i dont think you can rely on me on culturing these babies since it is too advance for me to handle.. LOL. but i am more than willing to be just a transporter whenever i get to cebu :D
stannn_
reefphilippines member

Postby tommy » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:17 am

wow this is great....i hope i can culture some also...i remmember seein someone post a link where you can buy locally i think somwhere in iloilo...btw, what is the procedure?
Tankless...last tank lasted 2Y2M5D!
tommy
reefphilippines member

Postby CLYVZ » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:35 am

Congrats!! I really want to learn how to do it..
CLYVZ
reefphilippines supporter

Postby charlesr1958 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:53 am

Last edited by charlesr1958 on Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
charlesr1958
reefphilippines member

Postby jackryan » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:32 am

JackRyan's 225G 6'x2'x2.5' Tank Project

jackryan

Postby charlesr1958 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:13 am

charlesr1958
reefphilippines member

Postby charlesr1958 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:14 am

charlesr1958
reefphilippines member

Postby tommy » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:50 am