[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - Tank Underflow Design - Possible?

Tank Underflow Design - Possible?

Offer your help, ask questions, share ideas, & just have fun!

Tank Underflow Design - Possible?

Postby bolexis » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:17 pm

Hi

Good Day, Happy New Year to everyone!

After quite sometime convincing the big boss (wifey) to pursue the idea to setup a saltwater tank, me and my son are given finally the go signal :D , anyways ask ko lang po if an underflow design is possible instead of an overflow. We (me and my son) want to start from a scratch to learn all the mechanics of the hobby, as we really don't have any experience on it and we're already expecting some trial and errors along the way. One thing what we want to get correct though at the very start is the design of the main tank, and from the ever helpful manang google, most of the design we actually see for the main tanks are overflows and non or barely on the underflow. Here are some examples we actually saw on the net . After having experience on raising arowana and flowerhorn - I had noticed that the waste actually goes to the bottom and stays there for quite sometime even with a good power heads for the tank, now it came to mind that if we're going to have a custom tank - instead of an overflow, go for an underflow as it is in a way already a mechanical way to move the waste from the main to the sump.

I have here is just a design idea and asking you all kind sirs/ma'am if this is possible and if it would work. we're planning to have a reef style setup complete with sands and everything though. (not sure if you can open the link on dropbox) will also try to have it uploaded.

Any ideas or comments are very much appreciated, as I have mentioned - we want to get the tank correct the very first time should we ever embark on this hobby. We're still on the gathering of idea stages though and probably the next time we would be asking for the lightings and etc.

Thank you very much and kind regards, again happy festive season :)

alexis
bolexis
reefphilippines member

Re: Tank Underflow Design - Possible?

Postby jup » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:05 am

no experience with underflow, but if the sand and inverts wouldn't get sucked by the down draft, then i think it's fine.

Depending on water volume, and on the rate of water return, you might want to check on the size and number of drain pipes.

And the 1inch clearance at the top, you might want also to check about that, specially if you will use wavemakers.
48X20x24
1 fan
Hydra52
biopellets
jup
reefphilippines member

Re: Tank Underflow Design - Possible?

Postby bolexis » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:44 pm

Many thanks for the input jup

very much considering and still checking the right size and numbers of the drain pipes. I just got the idea from this forum (Herbie overflow plumbing) and kind'a follow its design, and just invert the idea of instead of an overflow and make it an underflow. you are quite right regarding the 1" clearance at the top, I haven't consider the wavemakers.

i'll also consider putting a mesh so as you had mentioned - that inverts wouldn't get suck by the draft.

kind regards

alexis
bolexis
reefphilippines member

Return to General Discussion