Help - Tank Crash

Offer your help, ask questions, share ideas, & just have fun!

Help - Tank Crash

Postby jobseclan » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:38 am

hi everyone,
I need information on what to do after a crash,
tank data:
fully cycled tank,I started my bare-bottom 35G(DT) + 10G(3-chamber)sump mid-september 2014 with NSW, 15K live rock, Reef Octopus 110NT - finished fish-less cycle week of November 2, param: (NH3,NO2,NO3) was always 0,0,0-0.5(worst) phosphate 0.25 - 1.0(worst), PH was always stable 7.8-8.2, KH 7-8, Ca - 460-480, temp never went above 29
i have 3 yellowtail damsels, 1 clownfish, 1 green chromys, 2 pajama cardinals, 4 nassarius snail and 3 turban snails all juvenile sizes(added nov-dec)
corals are 1 hammer, 1 bubble, 1 frogspawn,1 elegance, some red mushrooms, 1 actino, 1 GSP and 2 zoas clusters(added dec-Feb)
on january 2015 I bought a phosban reactor and biopellets, it wasn't working after 3 weeks, just got bad brown algae and bacterial "white threads", changed to GFO and placed purigen and De*nitrate in sump(around last week of january 2015)

then on February 5,after feeding in the morning, I accidentally left the wavemakers off. turned them back up after 15 hours in the evening. measured NH3 - 0.25, NO2 was still zero, NO3 was 40. nataranta ako, so I placed ammo lock in the sump. two days later, my ammonia shot up to 2.0! kaya pala corals were closed for one day!
did an emergency water change saturday(feb7) - changed 15G almost 50% total volume. added another dose of Ammo lock, then measured on feb8, ammonia now is 4.0! Nitrite - 0.5

almost all corals are now in QT tank, only the fishes are in the DT.fish and snails seem ok,wala namang patay, kumakain naman, hindi mukhang stressed. corals are "half" open.

questions:
1. should I do daily water changes? how much?
2. should I keep using ammolock if I do water changes? parang false measurements kasi nakukuha ko dahil sa ammolock
3. can I add Biodigest and Bioptim? or will these make it worse?
4. what other suggestions and recovery moves/tools can you recomend?

sorry long post, mura lang naman yung livestock and corals, kaso napamahal na sa mga anak ko eh.kaya set to recover ako from this.thanks sa suggestions in advance!
"Ideas are bulletproof..."
____________________________________________________________________________________
50G Custom DT
144 Watt LED programable full spectrum lighting module
2 Jebao WP25 wavemakers + twin Controller
1 Sunsun JVP-101A wave maker(timed for additional flow, 4 hours every other day)
20G 3-Partition Sump
Reef Octopus NWB 110INT Skimmer
Jebao DC 6000 return pump with Locline Flare returns
Marine Sources BPR 3.0 reactor with Biopellets
Seachem PhosBond
jobseclan
reefphilippines member

Re: Help - Tank Crash

Postby obet_carlos » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:20 am

you should not think na mura naman yung livestock. That's not how we hobbyist should think. Kahit gaano kamura yan, buhay pa din yan and it is our reponsibility to give them the best envirorment for them to live happily.

You should QT na din the fishes. High ammonia is very bad for fishes more so sa inverts. Sa main tank mo, bakit tumataas pa din yung ammonia mo? may patay ba? What are the other signs na mataas ammonia mo? usually yung bubbles namumuo, parang may sabon. Or malabo yung water. or baka false reading nga. If it was me, QT ko all livestock muna. corals and fishes. Then let the main tank be. mag stabilize din yan. dont use muna yung ammo lock (sorry d ko alam ano to). Then take another test to measure your ammonia. Check mo din kung ok pa test kit mo. Measure mo yung sa QT mo.
obet_carlos
reefphilippines supporter

Postby jobseclan » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:55 am

yup definitely, highly valued naman yung pets, meant to say compared to really expensive livestock, mine are mura price point-wise and my boys would really be sad if anything happened to them.

API Ammo lock, it binds ammonia basically, by converting it to ammonium yata,non-toxic form of ammonia daw.
noted, I'll house the fish and snails in the QT.

there lies the main problem, wala akong makitang signs of ammonia, water is clear, no bubbles, checked all life, walang patay talaga eh.also counter-checked the test results with the QT, the test kit works.I even tested newly bought NSW, same results, no ammonia. I read kagabi that API ammo lock will indeed give false results, problem ko is why the bio filter hasn't devoured the locked-up ammonia yet.you think i should do a massive water change?

thanks for the reply bro!
____________________________________________________________________________________
50G Custom DT
1 Sunsun JVP-101A wave maker(timed for additional flow, 4 hours every other day)
20G 3-Partition Sump
Seachem PhosBond
jobseclan
reefphilippines member

Postby obet_carlos » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:36 am

i'm not sure if the ammo lock is the culprit here. Maybe it is. The test kit maybe reacting to the by product of ammo lock. maybe hindi pa siya na break down ng biological filtration ng tank mo. i dont think the fishes would last a few days with ammonia that high din. I would not do a huge water change, kasi sayang sa tubig. that's just me. Maybe it would take a few days to weeks for the biofiltration to remove the by products o the ammo lock. just qt, and observe na muna. then pwede mo na ibalik yung corals muna. mas makikita mo kung ok na yung tank sa corals eh.
obet_carlos
reefphilippines supporter

Postby loidimi » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:37 am

Tigil mo muna yung ammoLock. Wc mo nalang yung tank mo every other day 30%. Mga 3 times. Then check ulit.

Baka kasi biglaan yung paglagay mo ng bio pellets then sudden tangal agad. Gradual dapat yan..

Qt mo nalang muna lahat ng ls mo habang nagrerecover yun bio filter mo.
loidimi
reefphilippines member

Postby jobseclan » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:52 am

noted mga pare, I had my doubts with Ammo lock from the onset, kaso nataranta eh,nagkataon wala akong NSW or saltmix na ready that night. although I used AmmoLock before sa freshwater ko, di naman nag-OA measures ng ammonia ko, and as per manufacturer website wala naman difference sa usage in saltwater vs FW. anyways, I'll just make sure to do gradual water changes over the week.

@obet, my problem is the QT is small(15G) hindi kakayanin ng filter yung load with the fishes and all the corals.I'll probably just place the fishes sa balde na may takip and place live rocks and the wavemaker.

hope I save all of them! thanks mga pards!

wala bang nakaexperience ng bwiset na API AmmoLock dyan? hehehe
50G Custom DT
20G 3-Partition Sump
Seachem PhosBond
jobseclan
reefphilippines member

Return to General Discussion