[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - Pls id....

Pls id....

Discuss the care of invertebrates; shrimp, snails, crabs, etc

Pls id....

Postby hotshots66666 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:32 pm

I found this crab a mnth ago in my tank... Maliit lng sya, now ganito n...please pa help pa identify and if safe sya sa reef and with fish

hotshots66666
reefphilippines member

Re: Pls id....

Postby danggit » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:28 pm

Hi hotshots,

Unless otherwise advised by the experts here, I've always found various forums to see crabs as opportunistic feeders - they eat fish or corals that are easy prey...eventually, especially when they get bigger. Unless you have a specialized tank setup maybe you could return it to the LFS or put it back to the sea if that's where you got the rock that it came with.

Regards,
Danggit
danggit
reefphilippines member

Re: Pls id....

Postby marvinpb » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:55 pm

I don't know about the id.
I have at least 3 crabs in my tank, 1 looks slightly like this, 1 is lighter color, and I think 2 pure black.
all started as small but now they have grown, some about 1inch body.
they are all elusive, not seen often. i see them eating/biting on the rocks, maybe eating detritus.
I think they eat fish only if the fish is dead or weak.
i didn't put much effort in catching them because i think they are reef safe or fish safe(at least for now).
the only thing is they are knocking down my coral frags.

hotshot its up to you to observe, if coral safe or fish safe.
if in doubt just remove it. good luck catching it!
180g mixed reef tank, 70g sump

marvinpb
reefphilippines member

Return to Invertebrate Forum