[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
reefphilippines.com • View topic - Housing Blue-ringed Octopus

Housing Blue-ringed Octopus

Discuss the care of invertebrates; shrimp, snails, crabs, etc

Housing Blue-ringed Octopus

Postby WaltonToy » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:48 pm

Is or has anyone ever housed a blue-ringed octopus before? Would need advise on designing a tank that would prevent them from escaping and yet be livable for them. Otherwise, i'd be forced to dispose two of them.
WaltonToy
reefphilippines member

Re: Housing Blue-ringed Octopus

Postby potring » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:05 pm

Bro i dont know anything on how to house a blue ring octo, but one thing for sure that is one of the deadliest sea creature ever, so might as well throw it back in the sea or dispose it. Much better sa sea pero make it sure na hindi beach or mataong area mo irelease IMO :D
potring
reefphilippines member

Postby seth » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:16 pm

Well, hate to say it but you should've planned and researched first. :(

You could probably make a small tank for them, and have the top covered with custom cut thick acrylic. Or fine meshed screen.

But Bro, if you ever have kids or uninformed relatives, I would strongly suggest taking them down humanely instead of keeping them. Masyadong risky kasi. Putting them down humanely would probably be more responsible and safe. You may never know, they may become a very dangerous pest should they ever be released on the wrong waters. Parang yung mga lionfish lang na naging peste sa ibang bansa. Mahirap din kung magreproduce yan na walang natural predator tapos dumami baka di na tayo makapag swimming haha :lol:
Cheers,
Marty

seth
reefphilippines member

Postby WaltonToy » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:19 pm

Yap i've read that bit on the internet kaya nakaseal pa rin sila sa jar with small holes. I am still deciding on whether to keep them that's why i'm checking out a safe way to keep them. Nagreresearch pa rin ako now. :(

Pano nga ba gawin humanely? Hehe
WaltonToy
reefphilippines member

Postby kenn » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:28 pm

I tried it b4 wen my tank was fowlr n i didnt know they were poisonous.those were the dark days b4 d internet....good thing im stil alive haha they never escaped my tank b4....wudnt recomend keeping them also hehe
24x3w china LED (12blue+12white); 40 x 3w DIY LED
overhead chaeto w 1pc 20w white led
DIY cooling fan
jebao wp25 wavemaker
dc 12k return pump
0922-8330615; 0917-5330615
kenn
reefphilippines member

Postby WaltonToy » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:19 am

Thanks for the input guys. Woke up to go with your advise. Btw i didn't get them from carti. Sayangthey would have been fascinating addiions. Good morning.
WaltonToy
reefphilippines member

Postby mindfreak » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:16 am

big no no on this. here they briefly discuss how potent blue ring octopus toxin are. video start at the 4 minute mark. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFhqreIjkL0

reference: USCB Science Line

How does a blue ring octopus kill a human being?
Answer 1:

The Blue Ring Octopus kills humans or predators that disturb it by biting them. There is venom secreted along with their saliva that gets into the bite wound and quickly spreads around the body. This venom blocks signals from being passed through the body's nerves which results in full body paralysis (including the lungs). There is no antidote known yet but a victim can survive if they are connected to respirator or are given mouth to mouth resuscitation until the venom is worn down in the body (usually after about 24hrs). So if you are going to the western pacific make sure you know first aid!

Answer 2:

The blue-ring octopus has a kind of venom (poison) in its mouth. When the octopus bites, it injects venom that paralyzes a person's muscles.This includes the muscles that let us breathe. Soon there's no oxygen in the victim's blood and the heart shuts down. After about 4 to 6 minutes without oxygen, the brain starts to shut down. If only a little poison gets in, the person may recover.

One interesting thing is that the octopus itself doesn't make the toxin.There are bacteria that live in the salivary (spit) glands of the octopus that actually make the poison. This relationship between octopi and bacteria is called a mutualism. That means that both things benefit. The octopus gets a poison to kill its predators and prey. The bacteria get food and a safe place to live.

Can you think of other examples of mutualism where plants or animals both benefit from each other?

Answer 3:

It has a venomous bite. The venom (tetrodotoxin) is the same as in puffer fish and several other deadly animals. The venom is actually produced by bacteria living inside the octopus. The venom kills by interfering with muscle contraction, including the muscles needed for breathing. If the bite is noticed and rescue breathing ("mouth to mouth") is started immediately, the victim will probably survive.
With Gratitude,

- Everything is relative in this hobby.
What works for me may not work for you.
mindfreak
reefphilippines member

Postby thurrmac » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:38 am

if i where to house a mighty BRO. sya lang mag isa walang kasama. 70gals
with screen para hindi makalabas, plenty of lr for hiding, octos are einsteins
of the ocean baka maisahan ka, ill feed it with live shrimps or crabs.
i will never dip my hand in the water for my safety so il be using tongs to clean
the tank. ATS for filtration. BTW i've housed a deadly poisonous cone snail before
and i was lucky dahil walang utak ang snails all they have are senses.
yup looks can be deceiving better to heed experts advises or pay the price.
thurrmac
reefphilippines member

Postby WaltonToy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:02 pm

They took care of themselves. Both went to octopus heaven the following day. Natakot na din ako after what's been said by you guys. Sayang aliw sana alagaan.
WaltonToy
reefphilippines member

Postby seth » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:57 pm

You could just try cuttlefish instead. Or other less venomous octopus. :)
Cheers,
Marty

seth
reefphilippines member

Postby WaltonToy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:48 am

Bro seth meron sila cuttlefish eggs sa gatchalian madami. Tempted to buy lol. Pero parang nadala na ko sa octopus...for now. Paghandaan ko muna. Hehe
WaltonToy
reefphilippines member

Postby thurrmac » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:15 am

thurrmac
reefphilippines member

Postby mindfreak » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:51 pm

very good alternative yung cuttlefish. iwas lang mag ink or else you need a good skimmer and carbon source to make the water clear again. :D
With Gratitude,

- Everything is relative in this hobby.
What works for me may not work for you.
mindfreak
reefphilippines member

Return to Invertebrate Forum